You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Re: Chinese Democracy vs Contraband vs World On Fire

Kikkoman80 wrote:

I would like to analyze with you three records such as Contraband, Chinese Democracy, and World On Fire ... a "comparison" between these three records.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I like all 3.

Contraband is a great record, but it's also a product of it's time. That is - the GNR guys were keen to reinvent themselves as modern and not tragic 80s - and so you can see they kinda kept Slash on a leash and purposely wrote mod rock. Live in had a lot more 80s hard rock balls to it than it comes across on the album I think. It suffers also from Scott's choice in that he was obviously pushing in a more STP direction. Matt is awesome on this record. Live they had a lot of chemistry...kind of had a touch of the GNR danger without Axl which i never would have expected. There's a bit of filler on this record but when it's good it's awesome.

Chinese Democracy is a great record too. Sort of an Axl art project or something. There's things people don't like like too many layers and many guest players and so on - but it works for what it is. The songs themselves are classic Axl sounding to me. There's something about the way he writes. I can imagine a 90s version with Slash and Duff would have been interesting had they stayed friends in that period. Awesome album as is though.

World on Fire. Classic slash riffing here...it's hard for me to look at this album particularly and not the rest of the slash legacy...he's put out what 9 albums since GNR? So I mean not every track on this is his best...but there's some killer shit on here as with all slash records.

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:

It is a real pleasure to be in this forum.
The Italian forums are a disaster.
Here I am very happy.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Kikkoman80 wrote:

It is a real pleasure to be in this forum.
The Italian forums are a disaster.
Here I am very happy.

That’s a long haiku.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Chinese Democracy is the superior album of the three....but Axl/GNR never got close to having a song as catchy and mainstream as Slither.

VR wins the song battle...GNR wins the album battle.

This is in my top 5 Letterman performances.....

Incredible. They were all hungry for a second wind and had something to prove.

Came out of the gates swinging.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Contraband gets bonus points for being first. I’d still take CD. World on Fire isn’t in the discussion…it’s the best Conspirators album but not the best Slash album.

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:

World On Fire is my fav of the 3. Awesome riffs and good lyrics.
Contraband is hit and miss with the songs, I like it but it's different.
CD had a few great songs but fell flat on the rest. Kinda forgettable.

WOF is my vote.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Chinese Democracy and it’s not even close for me

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

SuperHuman
Headspace
Alien

3 songs that are over looked but cool off of Contraband.

Slither does rock. Sucker Train is the most GNR song of the bunch.

Slash solo has so many good songs. WOF has some absolutely SMOKING riffs and solos on it. Pure guitar wise, it smokes both CD and Contraband.

CD, when it is good it is great but also had some absolute turds. If the World and that Bond vibe still gets me. Great guitar solo on that one. Sorry is okay, have to be in the mood for that one. TWAT is damn good. Great Bucket and Finck on TWAT. CD and Better are both really good but Slash and Duff did improve the Better intro.

Put Axl on WOF and you have the winner lol.

Board footer