You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Guns N’ Roses 2022 Australia & New Zealand Tour

James wrote:

Yep.... great review. Glad our Aussie/NZ members had a good time on this leg of the tour.

But this aspect of his style was really cranked last night. It seemed almost every solo was more like a vague approximation of the solo, or improvisation on the theme, and a few of them were almost comical - like slash was playing a game with himself to see what other little blues progressions and licks he could sneak into different songs

He's bored silly...they all are.

It's also why they've added various covers off and on since reuniting. I actually laugh at this sometimes...a band so bored with their set list, they gotta add covers to make it mildly interesting.

While they probably do get some enjoyment out of it... especially when it comes to the lifestyle....it's a massive paycheck at this point. The reunion was about all of them getting older and wanting a big retirement account.

It was never about continuing and adding to the legacy.

Instead of a reunion comparable to the Stones or Soundgarden, it became more like the Fleetwood Mac or Eagles reunion.

Nothing wrong with that...if you're a casual fan.

The world now knows what a late stage Pink Floyd reunion would've been like in an alternate timeline.

It would've been just like this.

Edit

I didn't notice Dizzy other than in Estranged

Dizzy is essentially invisible. No one really cares either way. No offense to him but he's lucky to even be included.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Nice review monkey. My first of 2 shows this coming Thursday - the day I get out of isolation having caught Covid for the first time last week!
(it's no joke I've been pretty sick).
Can't wait and my friend text me today to say he saw Axl outside the hotel in Wellington so I guess they will be nice and rested up by Thursday ! Will be sure to post reviews. Keeping expectations low but getting pretty excited...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Nice to hear you're all having a great time at the shows.  Funny reading about the stamina to just watch a show though.  I remember feeling that 10 years ago and I was in my 30s.  I go to football games now and tailgate 4 hours prior to the game, stand and cheer for 3 hours, then tailgate after the game.  My legs are pretty shot the next day.  I know people make fun of Axl for being out of shape, but it makes you think a little differently.  I need like a full day to recover, they're out there doing it multiple nights a week and they're in their 50s/60s, well except for Mellisa.

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

2 GN'R shows in 3 days for me...

Both were great shows with identical setlists (which was a shame) - bar Slash not playing Only women Bleed intro before KOHD in Auckland. Both 3 hours 15 min marathon sets. Wellington was bathed in sunshine, Auckland brought the rain with an absolute downpour just prior to GN'R taking the stage.

First off, GN'R are a tight, well-oiled machine at this point - noticeably more so than when I saw them in 2017. A true stadium monster act.

Slash was more focussed and his tone and playing were more on point - although there was still plenty of meandering improvisational noodling. All in all though, he was much more engaging and focused than when I saw him on the 2017 leg.

Fortus was again impressive although his rhythm parts are too quiet in the mix overall which I'm guessing is to appease Slash which is sad especially on the Appetite songs which cry out for that twin approach. His lead playing while admirable technically, for me is over the top a lot - too showy for a band like Gn'R and alot of his playing just feels like wankery and one-upmanship. I guess I'm just an Izzy fan.

Duff puts in a solid shift and keeps things on lock as usual. Melissa, Dizzy and Frank did just fine.

MVP across both shows was Axl - he definitely sounds a hell of a lot better in person than on youtube clips. Songs like Shadow, Reckless Life and Whole lotta Rosie he absolutely excels on - faster, rockier ones with the rasp.  His voice was strong throughout - some of the more mickey moments are the slower higher pitched songs - but he puts so much energy in and on the whole sounds fantastic. He was in a great mood both nights too - chatting and laughing throughout.

I'll reiterate what many have said already - the show is just too long. 3 hours and 15 mins is a marathon and while impressive, it is wholly unnecessary. Alot of the songs and solos the crowd are zoning out. They could also mix the setlist up - a Dead Horse or Yesterdays or something different from the 2 shows would have made a big difference.

Highlights:
ISE
Brownstone
Jungle (enjoyed the Link Wray intro too)
Live and let die
Estranged
Sorry
Patience
Reckless Life
Shadow of your love
Civil War
Wichita Lineman
Whole lotta Rosie
The little snippet of Blackbird leading into Patience was lovely

In no universe does Coma belong as an encore - its a hardcore fan favourite and Axl can't sing that outro anymore (he oscillated between singing and speaking it). The song needs to be retired. YCBM is also another obvious one he struggles with.

Cut down the length of Rocket Queen and Heavens door. They go on far too long. And Paradise City I am just sick to death of but you realistically can't not play that.

Ultimately, I missed the band in their heyday due to being too young and the reformation has given me the chance to experience something I never thought I would be able to experience. I have had more than my fill now. I would only  see them again  on the following conditions:

a) they radically change the show/setlist/production up
b) release new music
c) shorten the show to no more than 2 hours
d) are playing in my hometown or somewhere I happen to be anyway

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Great review.

he definitely sounds a hell of a lot better in person than on youtube clips

I always laugh when I see this....but it's true. I felt that way at my show in 2017. Part of it might be the fact you're there experiencing it in the moment. Then take into account how loud it is. No matter how good your speakers are at home on YouTube...it can't compete with that.

'I'll reiterate what many have said already - the show is just too long

Absolutely.

I wish they actually listened to fans for feedback.  When hardcore fans are saying your show is too long.....

It's too long.

As I mentioned earlier, I think they continue to do it because 3 hour shows are an aspect of the GNR "brand".

They could still change it though...and they should.

The show only needs a couple deep cuts at best. One from AFD...one from UYI...and throw in a Duff song to give Axl a break.

Ditch Coma...or alternate it....and you don't need both NR and Estranged. This isn't July 1991...millions aren't foaming at the mouth to finally hear them.

Focus on a nice, tight 15 song set that is mainly the hits/singles.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

IDK, I can appreciate the desire to get the fuck out of there when you're done, but a GN'R show is something you see at most 2x in a decade for even most of the diehards (yea, my personal figures far exceed that too).  A 3 hour show for something most people only see once in their lives doesn't seem excessive. 

I seem to be the opposite of you guys.  I'm not really interested in hearing the hits for the 1Xth time.  I want the deep cuts - I want to hear Locomotive, I want to hear Catcher In The Rye, I'd like to hear Sympathy.  There's no arguing 90%+ of those in attendance want to hear PC before they leave, but none of us fall into the category of fandom that 90% of the audience is comprised of.

That's what was so special about the Hammerstein shows.  Everyone there wanted CD tracks and was a diehard fan.  It was truly a moment in GN'R fandom.

I just wish they'd drop Slither.  It sounds worse in person than it does on YouTube.  And there's no way they aren't aware it sounds like shit.

Sky Dog wrote:

I’m with Flagg!

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

IDK, I can appreciate the desire to get the fuck out of there when you're done, but a GN'R show is something you see at most 2x in a decade for even most of the diehards (yea, my personal figures far exceed that too).  A 3 hour show for something most people only see once in their lives doesn't seem excessive. 

I seem to be the opposite of you guys.  I'm not really interested in hearing the hits for the 1Xth time.  I want the deep cuts - I want to hear Locomotive, I want to hear Catcher In The Rye, I'd like to hear Sympathy.  There's no arguing 90%+ of those in attendance want to hear PC before they leave, but none of us fall into the category of fandom that 90% of the audience is comprised of.

That's what was so special about the Hammerstein shows.  Everyone there wanted CD tracks and was a diehard fan.  It was truly a moment in GN'R fandom.

I just wish they'd drop Slither.  It sounds worse in person than it does on YouTube.  And there's no way they aren't aware it sounds like shit.

I get what you're saying and don't disagree - I would have loved some more variety and deep cuts. But I'd suggest that would go down a hell of a lot better in a smaller venue of hardcores than a summer stadium show largely comprised of casuals.

Part of it is like a badge of honour them playing these long sets and I get that. The first thing I would cut is the endless solos and meandering covers - swap out Coma for Yesterdays and Pretty tied up  for instance - cut 5 mins off RQ and play So Fine? While I like Wichita Lineman, is it necessary? We didn't need Patience and Don't Cry - one or the other ...

But I have seen them 3 times now in 6 years so I guess I've had my fill. I'm satisfied, don't get me wrong and they certainly give value for money...

Board footer