You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

jimmythegent wrote:

The demo of Perhaps - the chorus sounds a mess. I hope they have sorted that out - one of the factors is the layered vocals and the way it's mixed. I hope it's addressed in the mix or that Axl might have even looked at a more cohesive melody. Not confident given Axl's aversion to recording studios mind...

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

The demo of Perhaps - the chorus sounds a mess. I hope they have sorted that out - one of the factors is the layered vocals and the way it's mixed. I hope it's addressed in the mix or that Axl might have even looked at a more cohesive melody. Not confident given Axl's aversion to recording studios mind...

If they keep releasing these songs with old vocal takes, the bigger a slap in the face “Rock the Rock” becomes. He can do what he wants in the studio. He’ll do it for an obscure streaming Looney Tunes cartoon but not his money maker of a band? Has to be an epic troll.

Edit: We’re most likely to hear new-Axl vocals on a Carrie Underwood song.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

I'm guessing it's some kind of leak strategy via management also.

Sounds good indeed - is that Axl sampled and patched in there? I'm guessing he wasn't present at soundcheck...

It actually sounded like he’s singing over a backing track but in a low register. Could be wrong but I liked what I heard. Slash’s guitar is phenomenal from what’s there. Like he’s made this song his own

Lelez95
 Rep: 0 

Lelez95 wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Sounds good indeed - is that Axl sampled and patched in there? I'm guessing he wasn't present at soundcheck...

It did sound like it was the demo vocal part, I'm dying to hear it live, I think is one of the songs he could still perform quite decently.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

ClaudeF wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Thank you for validating my thought/concern: Axl’s vocals sound like they are lifted directly from the studio recording.

Well, logically he can't sing both vocal lines at the same time (the "You're all alone" bits and the "You used to be a little crazy…" lines overlap each other). So their options are have Axl sing one line or the other, and either track in the other lines from a recording, or have Dizzy/Duff/Melissa sing them.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I think its a backing track of the harmony lines/chorus fills etc.

I noticed they seemed to be using such things at least since melissa came on board.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

It actually sounded like he’s singing over a backing track but in a low register. Could be wrong but I liked what I heard. Slash’s guitar is phenomenal from what’s there. Like he’s made this song his own

I like that Slash has busted out the talk box for the solo. Gives it a classic Guns sound

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah Perhaps is gonna be killer. Just gotta hope it's been properly mixed/mastered and.....

jimmythegent wrote:

Yeah the chorus sticks out like a sore thumb. If he never went back in and redid that, it's a huge sign that very little was done vocally/lyrically after the main sessions 2000-02.

Any other artist would have worked on that long before release...and he's had literally almost 25 years to fix it.

Fortus said in an interview years ago that most of Axls vocal takes were done in 2001.

otto wrote:

The alleged auto biography had me all pumped up because of my hope that he would finally clearly describe the vision he *had*.

I'm not really interested in his autobiography because he's an unreliable narrator of the GNR story. Way too many contradictions over the years...and besides...he'd never properly explain all the false starts at rebooting GNR and other things.

Which is a massive bummer because technically his POV should've been the most interesting of all.

I'd read it if he released one of course.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

I like that Slash has busted out the talk box for the solo. Gives it a classic Guns sound

Oh i didn’t catch the talk box - you sure it’s talk box?
Sounds more like semi pinched harmonics to me but I could be wrong

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Him being an unreliable narrator is actually why I want to read it.

We already have the sanitised for press version from Slash, and the reasonable minded business person versions from all the hangers on.

I feel like Axl is more truthful in what he believes to be the truth, even if his perspective is more of an artistic viewpoint and coloured by whatever else he grapples with. Like at times he may be "wrong" compared to an objective rather than subjective interpretation of the facts, but it would be an interesting counter point to the other versions. I feel that mixing both together we would get closer to understanding what happened to each of these guys from their POV.

Board footer