You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: U2 - Songs of Surrender

James wrote:

The new album is 40 classic U2 songs reworked.

Are they officially out of gas creatively at this point?

It's getting a lot of shit from fans... rightfully so.

Tracklist

CD1- THE EDGE
1 ONE
2 WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME
3 STORIES FOR BOYS
4 11 O'CLOCK TICK TOCK
5 OUT OF CONTROL
6 BEAUTIFUL DAY
7 BAD
8 EVERY BREAKING WAVE
9 WALK ON (UKRAINE)
10 PRIDE (IN THE NAME OF LOVE)

CD2 – LARRY
1 WHO’S GONNA RIDE YOUR WILD HORSES
2 GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY
3 STUCK IN A MOMENT YOU CAN’T GET OUT OF
4 RED HILL MINING TOWN
5 ORDINARY LOVE
6 SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN
7 INVISIBLE
8 DIRTY DAY
9 THE MIRACLE (OF JOEY RAMONE)
10 CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS

CD3 – ADAM
1 VERTIGO
2 I STILL HAVEN’T FOUND WHAT I’M LOOKING FOR
3 ELECTRICAL STORM
4 THE FLY
5 IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS
6 DESIRE
7 UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD
8 SONG FOR SOMEONE
9 ALL I WANT IS YOU
10 PEACE ON EARTH

CD4 – BONO
1 WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
2 STAY (FARAWAY, SO CLOSE!)
3 SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
4 LIGHTS OF HOME
5 CEDARWOOD ROAD
6 I WILL FOLLOW
7 TWO HEARTS BEAT AS ONE
8 MIRACLE DRUG
9 THE LITTLE THINGS THAT GIVE YOU AWAY
10 ‘’40’’

https://www.u2.com/music/albums/4195

[/embed]

Edit

There's a single disc version...

1 ONE
2 WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME
3 STORIES FOR BOYS
4 WALK ON (UKRAINE)
5 PRIDE (IN THE NAME OF LOVE)
6 CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS
7 ORDINARY LOVE
8 INVISIBLE
9 VERTIGO
10 I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR
11 THE FLY
12 IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS
13 STAY (FARAWAY, SO CLOSE!)
14 SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
15 I WILL FOLLOW
16 ‘’40

James

James wrote:

While I'll listen to a handful of those songs, no way in hell am I buying that.

Don't these guys have multiple unreleased albums from the past 30 years in the can?!? Release one of those instead of this. Jesus.

When U2 of all bands is doing this type of thing, new big album releases from major rock bands are circling the drain.

You just live off past glories with box set/deluxe editions, anniversary tours, etc.

Metallica fans better enjoy the upcoming album.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James wrote:

While I'll listen to a handful of those songs, no way in hell am I buying that.

Have you heard about this band Guns N' Roses?  They just re-released a double album set they first launched 31 years ago for $500.  And their fans bought it!

James

James wrote:

In that case...at least a fan can justify the crazy price for the Ritz video. Probably not worth the price but it's an amazing show.

There's nothing here to really justify it...and they're making it worse with a bunch of different color versions.

I had forgot this set is sorta tied to Bono's book....which I haven't read.

It's still a reach.

James

James wrote:

Looking at the track list, only songs I'll listen to....

Vertigo
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
The Fly
Desire
With Or Without You

Edit

It's such a weird selection. Too many songs missing.... Mysterious Ways, Bullet the Blue Sky, etc.

No songs from No Line On the Horizon. I know that album didn't go over well...but a perfect opportunity to redo one of the tracks and push it as a single.

Hard to believe it's been 14 years since No Line. Where does the time go?

Triple H
 Rep: 2 

Triple H wrote:

The fans giving them shit for this are in the minority.  What this album is, is giving fans studio versions of the songs the way Bono has been performing them during his solo shows promoting his "Songs of Surrender"  book.  The song selection isn't strange as the songs are those Bono speaks of in his book and what they meant to him.

Also U2 has stated they are working on new material for a new album and have been for a while now. It's not far off. They aren't promoting this as their new album. Simply the reimagined album. They know fans want new music but they also know fans have enjoyed these shows by Bono with the songs being performed in a new arrangement.

Also the songs will all be likely acoustic and toned down and sung in a  different key which in all likelihood makes it easier for Bono to sing as he ages. So now if they decide to toss in one of these reimagined songs on their next tour and perform it this way, fans won't be shocked and will likely be happy to have heard them this way as it will be familiar. It allows them to be more versatile in their live shows in a way.

Also think of it this way. Sometimes people just wanna chill at home with some soft music in the background and they don't feel like having Achtung Baby or Boy playing at their full tempo. This album will fit nicely in that regard and it will also be a much more pleasing album to play in coffee shops or lounges.  Maybe some people think that's lame but let's face it they're getting older as is their fanbase and sometimes hearing slower acoustic versions of songs you love is cool. U2 has never done this before and the fact they are doing it big with 40 songs that span their career is actually cool.  Anyone can sit here and say there are too many songs missing but those songs will be different for each individual. There's 40 songs here.  That's 3 or 4 albums worth.  So they don't have Mysterious Ways or Bullet the Blue Sky. They do have Wild Horses, 11 O'clock Tick Tock, and Two Hearts Beat as One though.  You can't have every song in the discography.  So you get a few more deep cuts rather than singles which have been featured prominently their entire career. That's cool.

At the end of the day some bands *cough cough.. GnR*  haven't done a damn thing other than tour since 2008 and in the minds of some since 1993. U2 has released music consistently the last 22 years, albeit slowing down, but that's the way things go as bands age. I will admit my initial reaction to this was also that is' lazy but the more I think about it, at this stage of their careers this is actually a cool move by U2.

Triple H
 Rep: 2 

Triple H wrote:

One more thing to consider. For all we know perhaps U2 has a new album ready but don't wanna release new material until Larry is healthy enough to tour? That's speculation on my part, I have no idea, but I do know Larry has back issues and wants to take a year to get healthy. A band like U2 won't wanna release new material if they can't tour it.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

U2 have been quite prolific with new music over the years. I don’t see an issue with them reimagining their older songs in a format like this. I wouldn’t buy it myself, but it’s hardly a point to say that they’ve lost their creativity by doing this

Board footer