You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: Roger Waters - Dark Side Redux

I can't really stomach Roger Waters and Pink Floyd because of Waters being anti-Semitic.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James wrote:

It's not really what I was expecting...but I like it.

Lush orchestration, great arrangement, all let down by Roger's worst tendencies and vocal limitations.

I get your point...but I'm not gonna criticize him too much due to his advanced age.

If he was going to devote time(hee hee) to reimagining peak Floyd...Wall, Dark Side, or Animals...it probably should've happened in the early 2000s when he was able to become a stadium act touring the Floyd material. I think the public would've been more open to it.

Edit

Yeah...the passage of time and how it sorta warps is fascinating...and frightening.

He is really not allowed to be doing this. Old guy, very old, voice is shot and he's going to to remake Dark Side of the Moon, without guitar!

And yet this is good. Very, very good. The way he rearranges the melody using different instruments is just sublime. I can easily picture myself listening to this as much as the original.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I don't know how I missed this. He posted this 13 days ago...

This is the best so far. Adding the lyrics from Free Four is genius.

He needs to save something for the actual album release.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

I'm going to hold out until the full thing is released. Haven't been listening to the other songs either except for once.

James

James wrote:

I just found out the album leaked yesterday.

Tempted to download it but I'm just gonna wait too. It's only two days...plus I don't feel like wasting the data on my phone right now.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

It's out now. Just gave it a listen.

I say it's a masterpiece. Not better or replacing the original but complementing it. That was young men, this is one old man. The musical landscape is truly marvelous, and the rumor that Waters was talking lyrics over the solos is not really true. On all the important bits he lets the music do the talking.

James

James wrote:

Holy fuck I had forgot already. Gonna listen throughout the day. If I like it, I'll buy it.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

My first impressions.

Speak To Me/Breathe is as you say great, maybe the only song you could say is truly better than the original.

On The Run has great music but this is a talky song which brings it down.

Time is a wonderful version.

Great Gig In The Sky is probably the song that is hardest to fit into this scheme. You can't really replace those vocals with anything and still have it be epic. Still a good effort.

Money is another great version. Some parts are better than the original, some are not.

Us And Them is pretty good, not fantastic.

Any Colour You Like, Brain Damage and Eclipse are all great.

James

James wrote:

I love Us and Them. This version is all about the lyrics standing out.

Brain Damage/Eclipse is impressive as well.

These were the main songs I was waiting on.

I'll listen to the full album tonight.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Some of these new lyrics are growing on me. Really sets the mood. Talking instead of singing actually makes it more personal.

Board footer