You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Sopranos

Even tho the show became a dissappointment for the most part as Polluxlm said, the show still had great moments.   I really believe the violence combined with the storyline really made the show what it was.   If you notice, they even took out the hardcore Italian.   In the first 3 seasons, they were quoting Italian all over the place, then after that, all of that stopped with the major violence.  [Another thing the show was taking flack for was some Italians were insulted that this represented all Italians, I gotta say being from an Italian family, the mannerisms were true to form and let's face it, 80 percent of Italian families, someone in the family tree was probably connected at some point.   Just the fact that Italians got insulted by it, proves that's how we are, even though I always thought that was rediculous]  I always got a rise when Tony would get angry, James Gadolfini did a fantastic job at making that explosive, then that didn't happen as much, I used to look forward to that.  I do agree, they were reaching at straws at the end to keep up story lines.   Many things they left hanging too as you all were saying.   Curio did he go back to Italy because he knew he'd get killed starting up a relationship with Carmela? and the Russians - that was one of the best episodes and they never followed up on that, WTF, what the hell happened to the guy after that.     

Even with that all said, still all in all, Yah I do miss it.  smile

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I finally watched the final episode. I wasn't surprised by the lackluster ending. In fact, I expected something much worse. Does anyone actually believe that Tony is dead? If you do, who killed him? 16 Other than Carmine, everyone was already dead. Each crime family was a skeleton crew running on fumes. Besides, there would have been no point in killing Tony after the agreement was reached between the families and Phil was killed. If anyone wanted Tony dead, they would simply have let Tony and Phil stay at each others throats until both were dead.

They obviously left it open so either another season could be made or the more likely scenario, a movie. I have no interest in either. Everything good about this series died long before season six.

One thing I didn't understand was the terrorist subplot that started in the final season. It obviously wasn't going anywhere so there was no point to inject such a storyline into this mess. I realize it was a way for Tony to start talking to that FBI agent, but there were other less sensational ways to get those two together.

About a third of this episode was devoted to AJ, which shows they had nothing interesting to say and weren't really looking to give the series a proper farewell.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Final episodes are very hard to make - good - but The Sopranos is among the worst ever made. Such a big setup, for such an awful episode.

In a weird way, I almost would've rather not had closure, and just had the series end on a regular season finale, and that's it.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I disagree - i think the final episode is a masterpiece.

And yes, Tony was killed - I can't see how anyone could think of it being otherwise. Who killed him and why? Well it was the sketchy looking guy sitting at the bar glancing over who went into the bathroom of course. Could have been hired by anyone - it's not lik ethere would be a shortage of people wronged or disgruntled by Tony over the years. One popular theory was that it was the brother of the guy who had the windfall or inheiretence who tried to leave (and Tony wouldn't let go) and then hung himself.

It's beside the point really. Tony had the chance to redeem himself and make his life better after surviving being shot by Junior and he failed to do so ultimately.

There are so many indicators that point to his death in that last brilliant scene.

oliver feng
 Rep: 0 

oliver feng wrote:

In terms of writing  and acting, "The Sopranos" is obviously one of the best shows ever to air.  It's largely responsible for establishing a norm on premium cable in which writers are really allowed to do their thing. We see the effect in shows like "Dexter" and "Deadwood." Although these shows might have serious flaws, they frequently exhibit writing of a craft and subtlety usually reserved for low-grossing films. But everyone pretty much agrees on all of that. The point of this piece is to highlight some serious problems with "The Sopranos" that are ignored by most critics like Karl Rove at his senior prom.

Note: This user has been banned. His first four posts were all linking to the same DVD site which has now been added to our websites "word filter" list.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

I disagree - i think the final episode is a masterpiece.

And yes, Tony was killed - I can't see how anyone could think of it being otherwise. Who killed him and why? Well it was the sketchy looking guy sitting at the bar glancing over who went into the bathroom of course. Could have been hired by anyone - it's not like either would be a shortage of people wronged or disgruntled by Tony over the years. One popular theory was that it was the brother of the guy who had the windfall or inheritance who tried to leave (and Tony wouldn't let go) and then hung himself.

It's beside the point really. Tony had the chance to redeem himself and make his life better after surviving being shot by Junior and he failed to do so ultimately.

There are so many indicators that point to his death in that last brilliant scene.

leave it to some spam asshole to bring this thread back up^......
this is what i'd like to think as well... i'm so conflicted.. i love the show.. i hate it... all at he same time... but this is definitely what i thought at first and my dumb ass fucking wife somehow talked me out of it......
good call 'gent.....

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I love it. The series may have fell off but I still enjoyed it. You can blame the pussy Italian Americans who cried about the show for it being toned down a little. I love watching it and naming all the spots they go too. It was filmed basically in my backyard so it that makes it also cool.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I watched the final episode again last night for shits and giggles. Since a few in this thread haven't watched the whole series, I better wrap this in spoiler tags.....

Hidden Text:

Since I already knew what to expect, I focused on what leads up to the infamous 'black screen of death'. Of course we see these various suspects in the restaurant that may or may not be there to kill Tony, but what sticks out as unusual is how Chase approaches the final minute of the series. We get a lengthy segment of Meadow parking her car properly, and for reasons we'll never know, once out of the car, she is rushing to get in the restaurant. As you all know, when Tony looks at the door as she's coming in, it ends.

Considering all the dream sequences and other symbolism we endured watching this series, this obviously means something. What exactly that meaning is I'm not really sure, but she is clearly patient while parking her car, yet there is a sense of urgency as she's basically running to the restaurant. What makes this final moment of the series even more interesting is the fact she was the most minor character in Tony's immediate family.

When Carmela and AJ arrive at the restaurant, no excess drama or suspense is used. They simply arrive and its no big deal. There is an intentional build up concerning Meadow's arrival. I'm sure someone could chalk it up to just creating suspense leading up to that final second, but the same effect could be achieved without using her in that manner.

The final two people to be seen onscreen in this series are Tony and Meadow. That isn't by chance. I know the ending is open to interpretation(did he live or did he die?), but when reading discussion on the ending, people seem to argue which of the people in the restaurant killed Tony, yet ignore the final segment itself.

No, I'm not suggesting Meadow killed him. I just find it interesting that Chase made her the main focus of the final minute of the series, and I'm surprised I didn't notice that when I first watched it. IF Tony does die when it goes black, it makes the previous minute even more bizarre.

Forget that black screen and the suspects in the restaurant. What is Chase trying to convey during that sequence with Meadow? Why is she the only member of his family to not be at the table during his supposed execution?

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

^

Hidden Text:

I have always thought the way they did it was to make you wonder if it was Tony or Meadow who was killed.  You're right, toward the end Meadow was the most minor character in the family, but she was always the most interesting and popular. 

It's been a while since I've seen it, but doesn't it even tease Meadow getting run over as she's crossing the street or something like that?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I always picked up on that. I personally thought from the get-go when I originally watched it, that it was

Hidden Text:

a massacre. Tony, Carmela & AJ, all get murdered, gangland style, and Meadow comes in and just sees their bodies sitting there, dead.

Meadow is the only Soprano to live. And in an odd sense, she's the most deserving. From day one, Meadow was the only half-way decent one, with a good heart, the rest were all varying degrees of scum, especially that punk AJ.

Board footer