You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: GNR issue statement about Robin

war wrote:

thanks-

it wasn't up there when i went back the first time after reading it here.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
war wrote:

it definitely confirms that gnr will move forward without or without him which is great news for cd.

Not to sound "negative", but I don't think it really matters anymore who is in or out of GNR. They all obviously sign contracts, and Axl likely owns whatever music they record during the sessions. If/when they leave, its up to Axl on what stays or goes.

Axl has likely cherry picked what he wants on the album regardless of their current status in the band, which is how it should be.

I'd rather hear BH and Finck kicking ass on TWAT than be forced to hear BBF and Fortus "take it to the next level".

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

It's good to hear something out of the GN'R camp.  Although the statement seems to confirm what most of us were suspecting and that's that the GN'R camp don't know what Robin is doing and they were really broadsided by the NIN news too.

I agree with James, Axl will press on regardless of what Finck decides afterall CD is his baby and he will do what he wants when he wants.

It still staggers me that if CD was really close that after all this time and presumably being so close Finck would pull the pin now?  Suppose we may never know what actually drove him to make the decision, besides he may still be able to have his cake and eat it to depending upon when it is actually released and a tour rolled out.  He may be finished touring with NIN by then.

war

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
war wrote:

it definitely confirms that gnr will move forward without or without him which is great news for cd.

Not to sound "negative", but I don't think it really matters anymore who is in or out of GNR. They all obviously sign contracts, and Axl likely owns whatever music they record during the sessions. If/when they leave, its up to Axl on what stays or goes.

Axl has likely cherry picked what he wants on the album regardless of their current status in the band, which is how it should be.

I'd rather hear BH and Finck kicking ass on TWAT than be forced to hear BBF and Fortus "take it to the next level".

i agree 100 percent.

the whole "this is not a band" concept is overrated
being sentimental doesn't get the album out nor does it make it any better

-keep the best parts on the album, regardless of who's they are. they have plenty of capable guitar players for the tour.

James

James wrote:
war wrote:

they have plenty of capable guitar players for the tour.

Really? Looks like they are down to two, and neither of those two were involved in the core recording sessions for the album. They were already having difficulty replicating the CD songs in 06 and 07.

Losing Finck doesn't really help regarding that issue.

At the same time, it doesn't really matter who tours the record. The 01 lineup touring it would have been best case scenario, but obviously thats not happening. Now Axl just has to assemble a group he feels comfortable with touring behind a record some of them had little to no input on.

Like I mentioned in that Fortus thread, a few more shake ups in the lineup before the album/tour would not surprise me at all.

war

war wrote:

At the same time, it doesn't really matter who tours the record. The 01 lineup touring it would have been best case scenario, but obviously thats not happening. Now Axl just has to assemble a group he feels comfortable with touring behind a record some of them had little to no input on.

Like I mentioned in that Fortus thread, a few more shake ups in the lineup before the album/tour would not surprise me at all.

that's what i was talking about

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

First of all it's great that they gave us an update about Robin 5 It seems like  either they don't know what Robin's plans are or they ...fuck, it's not them, it's only axl... so Axl wants to change Robin's mind. Thank God Axl didn't use the words 'sudden and unexpected' this time. But the situation doesn't look too good: Axl wants to release an album without having the two lead guitarists, and maybe one of the main songwriters (Huge) in his band... it'd be very strange. The touring(?) line-up with Ron, Richard and Frank will be much powerless than the BH/Finck/Brain combo. I'm not a Finck fan and I think Richard is much better, but Axl clearly had something in his mind to stick with that guy as his solo guitarist solo long. Anyway, if Finck's gone and the touring line-up will be that different from the recording band, then Axl can't try to hide anymore that it's his solo project. Nothing's wrong with that, as I see the J-posts @ the official unofficial forum, the guy's trying to change people's attitude to this.

One thing to add: I still don't understand Finck's motives... IF Chinese Democracy is really so close to being released that he must be bat shit crazy to leave for a touring spont in another band, be it as big as NIN are. roll CD could have been his ticket to the area of known and respected guitarists, but leaving before the album happens will decrease his chances. I guess he's not that sure that 'the landing pad is near'.

James

James wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I'm not a Finck fan and I think Richard is much better, but Axl clearly had something in his mind to stick with that guy as his solo guitarist solo long.

He has a really unique sound. I understand why he was kept around for so long. While I dislike his interpretations of old GNR tracks(and have been in rooms full of people laughing during the Inland Invasion show), he really adds his touch to the CD songs.

Just like those songs don't sound proper without BH, they aren't going to sound proper without Finck.

Even if he has bailed and worst case scenario Axl removes him, at least we do have some of the songs from those sessions.

That lineup on those songs is magical.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Best CD era lineup: Robin Finck, Buckethead, Paul Huge, Tommy Stinson, Brain, Dizzy Reed & Chris Pitman. We're down to three, two of whom are really expendable (and one of those two almost completely unnecessary). Isn't it ironic that NOW we stand to finally see this album released? Looks like Axl will be touring behind it with CD Phase IV. Finck was the heir to Slash's throne, not Bumblefoot. Buckethead took the CD recordings to mythic levels, not Fortus. I'm glad for the update, but sad at the current state of my favorite band.

James

James wrote:
von wrote:

Best CD era lineup: Robin Finck, Buckethead, Paul Huge, Tommy Stinson, Brain, Dizzy Reed & Chris Pitman. We're down to three, two of whom are really expendable (and one of those two almost completely unnecessary). Isn't it ironic that NOW we stand to finally see this album released? Looks like Axl will be touring behind it with CD Phase IV. Finck was the heir to Slash's throne, not Bumblefoot. Buckethead took the CD recordings to mythic levels, not Fortus. I'm glad for the update, but sad at the current state of my favorite band.

Yeah, its certainly fucked up that by the time CD comes out, it'll likely be a scab lineup touring behind it. Certainly wont take anything away from the record, but will definitely alter the live shows.

While I would laugh at BBF solos, friends/relatives would be laughing at the old solos being played.

Next time everyone may be laughing at the same time.....

Can a musician here tell me what makes these newer songs so difficult to play? I know people can play them, but harsh interpretations are required. You cant get the sound that the 00-04 lineup was able to create.

Board footer