You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Would the old band play the new songs?

monkeychow wrote:

Stylistly I see no reason why it can't happen...much is made of the new bands style...but really...."the blues" isn't much different from a song like 'yesterdays'. TWAT is very much in the style of NR/Breakdown Estranged...

However I don't see it happening for more personal reasons.

nugdafied wrote:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some of the "new" songs were old band creations. For all we know, that's part of what's been holding up CD all these years. The lawsuits for who get album credits, royalties & all that other crap. We know Izzy was asked if it was OK to use some of his ideas & it would be naive to think that Duff never worked on any CD songs. But I would think if there was a reunion, they would definitely release an album & play some songs(Maddy) live.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I would say a definite no. But...

Joe Perry thought Lightning Strikes was a great song and played it for years after its release. He had nothing to do with the song originally. It can be done. He just thought it was a cool song. If Slash can take that tone towards the CD songs they will be played, but I seriously doubt it will happen.

However, GNR is such a complex machinery with such complex characters, playing CD songs might be one of those things that will crash a possible reunion. It's Axl baby, and Axl will not let it go just to be on a stage with Slash. Trust me on it. Axl isn't driven by what drives most musicians in todays biz. You got the last 15 fucking years to tell you that.

That's why my reunion scale isn't breaking any new barriers in levels the next 5-10 years.

And neither should yours.

It's as wishful thinking as the resurrection of Christ, and in my book it's both utopia beyond what humans should put into their stupid minds 22

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

So if we're all fairly certain that the reunion will happen in the next year...then it's official. CD will probably never be released, if there ever really was a CD.

So in 15 years of trying to prove Axl was Guns N' Roses, Oh My God is the only official release. VR made a couple pretty good albums...but mostly...a long, silent, wasted period of productivity.

myillusions
 Rep: 5 

myillusions wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I don't think Axl would sing any VR songs and for that reason, I doubt Slash would play any new GNR stuff.

Good point. I can't see where Axl would ever sing any V.R. songs. I could see a slight chance of Slash okay to play some of the new GN'R songs but no way would Axl ever sing any V.R. songs. That's just my opinion though.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i understand this is hypothetical but we really can't know the answer to this question until we know the circumstances of the reunion.

there are so many but here are a few possible scenarios that i relate to the question.

if geffen/management decide the album is great but they cannot market it without the orginial guns and a deal was struck axl would certainly see to it before the deal was made that they would play cd material. the question then becomes would they re-record with original lineup. maybe a few parts i would assume.

if they release the cd with the current band and it does very well there may never be a reunion, other than a one or two show stint down the road, in which case they would not play cd material.

if they release the cd and it flops then they probably wouldn't play cd material after a reunion cause there would be no pressure to do so, assuming axl doesn't go back into hiding.

and finally, what i hope happens, new gnr releases cd and it does well. they tour for a year or so. axl gets the monkey off his back and then comes to the realization that the music is great the band is good but he wants to take the world by storm again but it's not happening with the hired guns so he gives slash a call. the original band rerecords the second and third album with some new stuff added in. the rest is history.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

Well, I "think" that we are looking at a reunion within the next year or so. I never would have thought that 2 years ago and definitely not 7 years ago, but I "think" it is going to happen fairly soon. Azoff is there for cash. Robin is gone...it is obvious. He left for a reason, and it was right around the time of the new "management" announcement. Just me personally, but this album isn't coming this year.....and to eat some crow, I "think" Slash will be on the album by the time it is released. This is based on some purely speculative internet garbage.

Thats pretty much my thoughts on this issue as well. The moment Azoff was signed, I knew a reunion was already on the table. The details just have to be ironed out, which could take a long time.

VR crash and burn, Finck bails, and Axl gets new management, and all this shit happened at basically the same time.

Even Helen Keller's ghost knows that isn't a coincidence.

As Weiland walked out the door, first thing he said was if Slash had kept quiet, a reunion already would have happened. I believe him.

I think we are in a silent era again, but instead of dead myths and a hatred of Slash being on the table, this silent era will consist of behind the scenes negotiations, and the next big thing we hear from GNR will NOT be a CD release date like the few thousand online hope for, but instead will be a reunion announcement which will be THE big music story of either late 2008/2009.

We're gonna get a reunion. You can chisel that in stone.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some of the "new" songs were old band creations.

We already know some of this material dates back to the early 90's, and Duff said a couple years ago that work on CD began while he was still in the band.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some of the "new" songs were old band creations.

We already know some of this material dates back to the early 90's, and Duff said a couple years ago that work on CD began while he was still in the band.

Depends.

I believe Duff left a week before his daughter was born (08/27/97). The band had gone through a transitional stage of picking up the pieces from the Zakk Wylde-jams in January '95 and the Slash/Paul Huge -jams in August '96. They'd been trying to figure out how to flesh out the half an album they'd done with Slash, and plans to release it with various guest guitarists filling in were gradually abandoned. Robin had signed on the dotted line to become the lead guitarist on 08/01/97 and had naturally jammed with the remains of the so-called band at the time.

When Zakk Wylde arrived at the Complex, where Axl was rehearsing, he was slightly surprised. "There were never any melodies," Wylde recalls. "There were never any lyrics." - RS, 2000

Zakk on the '95 jams.

When the Sex Pistols were rehearsing for their 1996 reunion tour, Pistols mainman John Lydon claimed to have heard "some folky nonsense" emanating from the next room, only to discover it was actually Axl and co hard at work. - Kerrang, 1999

Likely Axl, Dizzy and Paul, working on the songs for the proposed studio album worked on by the SFTD-lineup in August '96.

There was no sound. There was no nothing. We didn't play. We tried. Matt and I did play. It was cool when Slash joined for a week. Even when Zakk Wylde and Slash played together, there were a couple of songs in which there was a natural progression and they were very rocking. You can imagine, they were really hard songs. As hard as I like them, yeah! But I can't tell you what they sounded like, there was not a definite sound. - Duff, Popular 1,  2000

The album Duff'd been working on (along with others) was slowly growing into something tangible, but was still well up in the air when he walked out. Therefore, it may be said that only the most fundamental elements of the songs worked on at that point may have survived the several years of lineup changes and overblown producing.

Songs like Prostitute, This I Love, Oklahoma are from the post-UYI period. OMG was written when Duff and Matt were still in the band. IRS may also be a song offered to Slash during the Fall '96 sessions and re-recorded with first Robin and then with Bucket, when Axl realized Robin couldn't do the exact things he'd learned to expect from Slash.

But still, the remaining bits of those songs should be credited to Axl, Dizzy and Paul Huge more than Slash, Duff or Matt.

Board footer