You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Potential Singles?

Saikin wrote:

Since i've noticed there's been a lot of talk about what would work as singles vs what wouldn't, i thought this topic deserved it's own thread. 

I can't honestly say that any one of these songs would be a huge hit single, and in today's world of hits that's not neccessarily a bad thing, but i could see some of them being really successfull.

My vote goes for Better, CD, The Blues, IRS, Rhiad and If the World. 

I think those songs have the potential to be fairly successful as singles.  From what we've heard, i think Better should be the first single.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

The only one that has any hope of being successful in my opinion is Better. Axl's voice sounds like the Axl people remember, it's catchy, it's actually danceable, it not too heavy and the solo at the end is classic Gn'R sounding. The slow stuff like the Blues, CITR and If the World will in my opinion be thought of as cheesy. Madagascar has potential based on the melody but it's a bit too dramatic and the sound bites suck ass. IRS is weak as shit and I can't see that appealing to any mainstreme format. Rhiads doesnt' have a hope in hell of being a single. TWAT and #2 are are just too much. They're  the furthest thing from the definition of a single.  Chinese Democracy might not be too bad but nowhere near the success potential of Better.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

GNR ruined any buzz and potential for Better by the original leak, the cease and desist crap when it was getting radio station requests, and the Harley clusterfuck.

I went with CD and Riyadh. CD could top the rock charts, and Riyadh should be considered if he wants to show the world how much different from the old lineup GNR is now.

Having said that, Riyadh would definitely struggle on the charts.

No ballads can be a 1st single. That would be suicide.

If CITR has been reworked, it should be the 2nd single and the cover have a pic of Lennon/Chapman with streaks of blood across it. Would be debated on every news show.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I always thought "The Blues" would be a potential single that could hit most formats the first time I heard it back in the day.  God that was a long time ago, and it's STILL not out.  But as James said, no ballad could be a first single.  I know this won't be a popular choice but "I.R.S." has always been among my favorites and non hardcore fans that I've played the song for have liked it as well.  "TWAT" is great but may be too complex.  "Chinese Democracy" has a definite shot.  I'm gonna vote for "I.R.S." though.  Going for the underdog.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

The only song I can see as a single is CITR as a second single.

All the other songs I couldn't see as a single, and especially not as the first single.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I picked Better and The Blues, but as a wildcard I also threw in TWAT. I think a shortened, single version of TWAT could be successful, Axl screaming with BH's solo going (especially if there was a video) has been one of few spots most people agree is awesome.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I can't really see CITR being successful on radio stations.  It just doesn't seem like it would have mainstream appeal.

Good points about Better and Rhiad James. 

CD definintley has a lot of potential on radio stations.  Anyone who has been listening to radio knows that it would do great.  It's not like what's on the radio right now, but it's got a groove and is a pretty hard hitting song. 

Mainstream music isn't really progressing.  Hit songs that came out early 2000's would still be a success today.  If Down with the Sickness, Slither, or almost any other hit was released this year, it would be a hit. 

If Welcome to the Jungle was released today, it wouldn't be a hit.  I feel that is the biggest problem facing these tracks.  They aren't like what's out there and they are a blend of different genres.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I didn't realize you could vote for more than one song.  Lack of reading comprehension on my part.  Along with "I.R.S." I'd also choose "Better", "CD", "TWAT", "The Blues", and "If The World".  Might as well think big, and positive.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

Might as well think big, and positive.

Thats the spirit.

At least until next year when we still don't have a record......

faldor

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:

Might as well think big, and positive.

Thats the spirit.

At least until next year when we still don't have a record......

Hey, give me 3 or 4 more leaks and I'm calling it a record.  We're almost there.

Board footer