You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: FBI pay a visit to leaker of "Chinese Democracy" Rolling Stone Article

Axl S wrote:

Guns n' Roses' 'Chinese Democracy' Leaker Gets FBI Visit

6/24/08, 5:45 pm EST

Last week, the Internet was rocked when California blogger Kevin Skwerl posted nine newly leaked Chinese Democracy tracks, including three previously unheard songs allegedly from Guns n' Roses long-awaited album. Skwerl '” who used to work in the distribution department of Universal Music and is now a Web designer '” runs the blog Antiquiet, and says he received the tracks from 'an anonymous online source.'

Yesterday Skwerl was surprised to find himself face to face with two FBI agents who paid a visit to his day job. 'It was kind of an ambush,' Skwerl tells Rolling Stone. 'When I came back from lunch they were waiting in the lobby for me. It's a little creepy they know where I work.' Two young FBI officers, who Skwerl describes as 'Mulder and Scully types,' questioned him for 15 minutes about where he got the tracks and made plans to visit his house at 7:00 a.m. this morning.

'I wasn't sure if they were going to come by with a warrant and trash the place, like in the movies,' he says. 'It was nothing like that.' The FBI officials wanted to see the original files, but Skwerl erased them last week per instructions from Axl Rose's attorneys. Skwerl ultimately gave them second-hand files that are now widely available on the Internet.

Last week Skwerl's blog crashed from the traffic flood that resulted from his controversial posting. 'My host contacts me and says, '˜What the fuck did you do?'' I go, 'Uhhhh. I posted some music.' He goes, 'What exactly did you post?' I go, 'Uhhhh. [Meek voice] New Guns n' Roses.' He goes, 'Motherfucker.' Before long his cell phone rang with an unfamiliar 323 number. 'It was a really cool guy from the Gn'R camp that was a middle man between someone who was very angry and me. He was trying to reach out and see if I'd go without a fight, which is more or less what I did.'

Skwerl agreed to take them down, but a cease-and-desist letter soon followed threatening possible legal action. 'I'm not so worried about that,' Skwerl says. 'It's a legal grey area since it wasn't for download, it wasn't a finished product. We aren't sure who owns the recordings. I feel like I might survive this.'

Update: Skwerl wants to make it clear that he's unsure whether or not he broke the law, but he will cooperate with the feds in any way he can. 'If legal proceedings come my way, I'll face them 100 percent. I'm not afraid of that. I did what I did, and I'll face the music if I have to.'

-------------------------------------

Uhh whay 10

Wow.   GNR ain't playing around and possibly Universal is in on this too.   Obviously they've had enough and getting the FBI involved.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Oh, if only my redheaded childhood hero were to sick the feds on me ... would be one of the most hurtful days of my life. I don't mean to do a disservice to GN'R but commenting on these leaks, but I hope they (or the record company) take into account that these are the band's fans we're talking about. The downloading motherfuckers may very well be the only "purchasing the album" motherfuckers when all is said and done.

All true Von but you gotta see it from their end.   As much we are the fans, it's copywrited property [this is Axl we are talking about so I am sure everything is on the up and up with that] that shouldn't get out until it's released.   Like it or not, it's illegal to post unreleased material on the internet.   Now whether this guy get's charged for anything remains to be seen but even if he doesn't get charged, they are going to look for the person who gave him the leaks and probably charge that person.   Either way as much as some people feel owed these leaks because the album is taking so long, doesn't it make it a legal thing to do.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:

Wow, really seems like Axl & Co are trying to out do Metallica in the alienate your fans stakes.

The FBI? Have they got nothing better to do? A sad day for GNR and its fans I feel. Its come to getting the Feds knocking on your door just because you want, and want to share music by your favourite band that dont have the balls/ability to release an album. Its only Axl (and prob Geffen or whoever) who have themselves to blame. The hoarder fella should just unload everything he has to the net and take it from there. He'll be getting a visit no doubt anyway, so may as well go the whole hog.

I know theres laws and everything and I disagree with music downloading as a whole as it takes away the chance for smaller bands to get a foot on the ladder. But a few 'demos' leaking isnt going to kill the buzz for an album that has such a myth attached to it. Theres no such thing as bad publicity, and the leakers and the guys that listen to the songs are the only ones actually promoting 'GNR' and keeping the name out there. The 'band' certainly doesnt have the ability to do that themselves. Axl should be grateful that people still want to listen to his mad warblings.

I think the main problem is that Axl just doesnt want the fans to scrutinize and dissect a bunch of songs that have taken so long etc etc and come to the realization that for the most part they just aren't very good. They've already slipped off my playlist. I'm currently listening to LA Woman - and that came out 37 years ago, certainly more longevity than If the World (If The My World more like, its that bad).

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

bazgnr wrote:

Already posted here yesterday:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=2637&p=2

(I made the same mistake myself...)

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Never noticed that, my mistake sad

Anyways it felt like a bit of a seperate matter from the collection of articles cause it basically means Axl is the FBI.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Since this article has been posted about 3 or 4 times and still gets posted, we'll just leave this thread up. Some must consider that leak articles thread about media reviews and not looking at it for this type of thing so people think its not here.

I consider this FBI shit a record setting shark jump.

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

bazgnr wrote:

A bit more from Pitchfork:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news … acyi-leaks

Skwerl was originally quoted on Rock & Roll Daily as claiming "[streaming the leaked songs] is a legal gray area since it wasn't for download, it wasn't a finished product. We aren't sure who owns the recordings. I feel like I might survive this." He later wrote in to Idolator (and Rock & Roll Daily) to clarify his position, stating, "I said it 'may' be a legal gray area, not that it is. I admit that I don't know the law thoroughly, and have ruled nothing out at this point." No word yet on how that follow-up meeting went, but hey, if Axl's pissed enough to sic the Feds on people, this Skwerl fella must be onto something. Right?

It's amazing to me how much news is consistently generated by a band - or rather, an individual - who has been out of the public eye for so long.  (and I'm not ignoring the heavy touring of the past two years, but rather am referring to the lack of new, recorded music and, to a large part of the population, being essentially considered a nostalgia act at this point).  Seriously, Axl has an amazing ability to generate news based upon the things that happen *around* him.

Me?  I can't get enough of all of this, and am really hoping this means the album will be out soon..

One would hope the album is going to come out soon, this brings me to a new thread.

Board footer