You are not logged in. Please register or login.

thebestofme
 Rep: 0 

Re: About the marketing

thebestofme wrote:

Im sorry but if the label have been expecting this album for so long then you think they would of had the marketing sorted out allready for when axl delivers...its not as though theyve had a shortage of time, surely they would of had a plan?

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

They have to have the album before marketing it.  How can you market a product when you don't know what it looks and sounds like?  That doesn't make any sense. 

I'm sure many plans have been discussed, but without an album those plans mean nothing and can't be really made into any finalized form.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
thebestofme wrote:

Im sorry but if the label have been expecting this album for so long then you think they would of had the marketing sorted out allready for when axl delivers...its not as though theyve had a shortage of time, surely they would of had a plan?

Yeah, saikin is right....not much can be done without a product in Uni's hands.

Also, Uni has other fish to fry. They concentrate on bands that do release albums. Until Axl is willing to pull the trigger, there's not much they can do.

They have likely had basic plans in place, but its all subject to change because they don't know what Axl is gonna give them.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I kinda agree but then I also think...do they really need the product to work out its target audience? We know who is buying this album regardless of what it looks and sounds like: lots of people who knew GNR back in the day, quite a few people who are casual fans and dug the greatest hits release, and hopefully some others who dig whatever the first single is. What's the big mystery? Surely theres not too much too it..

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I kinda agree but then I also think...do they really need the product to work out its target audience? We know who is buying this album regardless of what it looks and sounds like: lots of people who knew GNR back in the day, quite a few people who are casual fans and dug the greatest hits release, and hopefully some others who dig whatever the first single is. What's the big mystery? Surely theres not too much too it..

Its a huge mystery to Uni,and has massive implications on GNR's legacy and potential back catalog sales(which still are big sellers). For the first time in history, a GNR album would be released without many if its original key members. The legacy of GNR will be impacted one way or the other. The album could blow up in Axl and Uni's faces easily.

One Axl pushes the button on a CD launch, there's no going back. Just like an ICBM launch. You cant say "wait a minute. scratch that" because the payload is already heading towards its destination.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

yes, they know who the target audience is and let's assume that they had a marketing plan already in place for the release of the album "chinese democracy"

then comes axl and says "hey, guys, i've got the album ready, but this will be a trilogy", so, uni has plans for one album and they are in front of three albums connected between them (if we assume what baz is saying is true). that could very well mean all their marketing plan went out the window.

another assumption we could make would be that they had a marketing plan but when axl finishes the album he is not ok with that plan and wants a totally different promotion and it's all going in the trash can.

another problem, how do you market a release from a band that changes it's band members continuously? who do you base your promotion on? "hey, check out the new album by guns n' roses. guns n' roses is axl, tommy, paul tobias... ehm, scratch that, fortus, buckethead... oh, wait, it's bumblefoot now, robin finck... oh, he's in nin now? hmm again?"

anyway, the idea is you can have a plan or some ideas but the constant change of line-up, no tangible final product to promote might make it a little hard for the marketing people. and if you were uni, would you spend anymore money to pay for marketing for an album that you've already spent xx millions and there's still nothing? i wouldn't

James

James wrote:
supaplex wrote:

another problem, how do you market a release from a band that changes it's band members continuously? who do you base your promotion on? "hey, check out the new album by guns n' roses. guns n' roses is axl, tommy, paul tobias... ehm, scratch that, fortus, buckethead... oh, wait, it's bumblefoot now, robin finck... oh, he's in nin now? hmm again?"

Yeah, like I was saying in the Finck replacement thread, the current lineup just isn't marketable. Uni(and Axl) are gonna need to market this as an Axl solo album that just happens to be under the GNR name. If Axl has no reunion plans for the foreseeable future, he should just turn GNR into NIN. He is the band regardless of who walks in. Once people knew that and got used to it, GNR would be marketable no matter who walks in or out the door.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

any lineup will be "marketable" they jsut have to start doing something....i've said it for a long time though...it'll be hard sellign this band as GnR to the public..

i do think they have rough marketing planned out though...maybe its more than rough..we dont know what is going on behind closed doors @ Geffen...but for an album as big as this could potentially be I would think they have some kind of idea what they wanna do for marketing,,,,i've even suggested that they wont market it until they get some kinda return back on the $13mill investment

James

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

any lineup will be "marketable"

I disagree. Lets assume an album release and tour in fall 2008 for shits and giggles.

Lineup that must promote and tour CD:

Axl
Tommy
Richard
new guitarist
Bumble
Dizzy
Pitman
Frank

members most likely on the album:

Axl
Tommy
Robin
Bucket
Tobias
Fortus
Brain
Dizzy
Pitman
Bumble
Frank
Freese?

You think thats marketable? Half the touring lineup will have almost nothing of interest to say about the making of the album. They'll be virtually ignored by the media and the public.

Board footer