You are not logged in. Please register or login.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

Re: Ironic when you think about it.

strat0 wrote:

I'm sure everyone here remembers the Rose/Cobain fued. Isn't it funny that Axl who once bashed Alternative music and the musicians who played it has started making just that. i mean think about it. T.W.A.T. straight up alt, as well as If the World. All oof them have a bit of an Alt quality to them.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

TWAT is basically a UYI II song with an insane Bucket outro. If the World is a Simply Red tune with some cool Bucket work. I don't see any alternative influences in those specific tracks. Plenty of mid 90s techno and early 80's hip hop influences in most of these tracks though.

Axl always wanted to copy specific trends in the post UYI era, so I don't really see the irony in him doing it.

I don't remember Axl bashing the alternative scene. If memory serves me correctly, he wanted to ride the wave but that would have required releasing music and that didn't happen.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah he bashed nirvana for being too snobby to play with GNR and Metallica...(fair call too IMHO) but overall he was a fan of nirvana and that scene and said about how when he is down that music can inspire him to peform.

What's far more ironic to me is the fuss and noise Nirvana made about being all anti-industry (check out the 'Live Tonight Sold Out' doco interviews as an example) and then Dave Ghroll went on to front the Foo Fighters..who while they have a couple of ok songs...strike me as generic and bland and pretty much text book sellable mainstream radio appeal rock.

I should add that i think Dave is an incredible drummer and stuff though i'm not dissing him - i'm just saying he grew up into a guy who wasn't the rebel cutting edge persona  his old band put forward.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

TWAT is basically a UYI II song with an insane Bucket outro. If the World is a Simply Red tune with some cool Bucket work. I don't see any alternative influences in those specific tracks. Plenty of mid 90s techno and early 80's hip hop influences in most of these tracks though.

Axl always wanted to copy specific trends in the post UYI era, so I don't really see the irony in him doing it.

I don't remember Axl bashing the alternative scene. If memory serves me correctly, he wanted to ride the wave but that would have required releasing music and that didn't happen.

I don't ever remember it either.  In fact, Axl was a big fan of Soundgarden and Cornell, and GNR actually hand selected Soundgarden to open for them on a couple legs of their tour. 

I also don't see Alternative influences in these songs.  There is no way i could see an alt band making TWAT or If the World.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The irony is that with time and distance, the (one-sided) feud between GN'R and Nirvana seems laughably irrelevant and petty (and, of course, like most of Nirvana's negative points, was exacerbated by That Bitch Courtney).

For all Cobain's posturing about being "anti-industry", he ended up becoming the mainstream. All the guff about "grunge changing the face of music forever" has, over time, ended up with grunge just being another "swing of the pendulum", a phase music went through. As far as the kids listening to both bands are concerned, they both fall under the broad church of "rock".

And, yes, irony of ironies, Grohl has ended up churning out bland, cookie-cutter mainstream rock. I really hope Chinese Democracy emerges from the wilderness and blows him away.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axl really wanted to be accepted by the alternative scene. Just look at his favorite bands:

NIN
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Soundgarden
Faith No More
Mr. Bungle
Nirvana
Pet Shop Boys
Janes Addiction

Like mentioned above, most of those alt rock bands from that scene have turned pretty
commercial and lost their edge and cred.

I love Cobain, but everyone has to admit that in a lot of ways he was a fraud. If he truly hated
being an "Axl Rose" type rock star he didn't have to be. And its pretty much known that he
really enjoyed being a rock star.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I would say Axl has gone into the alternative field a little bit. But it's hard to classify something as alternative. We know from Zutaut that Axl wanted Nirvana-sounding drums on Chinese Democracy, for instance, but isn't that track a straight ahead rocker?

If The World is a Faith No More rip-off. Oh My God is kind of NIN like, not really, but it's industrial in a way (I actually like it). Riyadh, as James points out so frequently, is a lot like Praxis and Crash Victim in particular, and Praxis is certainly alternative.

I guess Axl has dipped into the alternative genre but none of the alternative bands he's using are very much alike. There isn't much in common between Faith No More, Nirvana, NIN, and Praxis. So in the end it's a wash.

Sky Dog wrote:

That is what I think makes Axl an original and this new material very different than what most bands do today. Nobody has the skills to do that much variety. Throw in some Elton John piano ballads and hopefully a few old school type Gnr tracks and you have an interesting mix. Now, the problem comes when you have to tracklist the material and make an actual album. Tough to do with a ton of very different material.:wtf:

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I could have swore that Axl made comments about Alternative music in some of his rants. I'm thinking of one in particular where he mentioned Cobain. Its on a boot somewhere.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

^toronto 1992? molson ampetheatre i beleive ..and he burned a Nirvana baseball cap

but that was in response to Cobain declining to open for GnR and Kurt also had some scathing comments about GnR and Axl

then there was the whole terretorial pissings performance and Dave Grohl taunting Axl by acting like a fanboy and shouting "Axl? Hey Axl? where's Axl?" at the VMA's before the Elton John/GnR NR performance ... whcih was in response to Axl's rant in toronto (I beleive)

anyway Axl was a fan of Nirvana (maybe still is) but Cobain pissed him off by declining the invite to tour

and axl was always a fan of alt music, so its not surprising he tries to follow the trend...even Zakk Wylde talked about his wanting to be the next Pearl Jam at one point

Board footer