You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?

It doesn't make me happy but I'll do what I have to. If it's only at Best Buy I'll pay for it, if it's only at Wal-Mart and it's censored I will not. But if it's at Walmart and uncensored, I'll hate myself, but I'll buy it.

I'll wait for a release date before I get too worried.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Guys... deal with it.

It's 2008. This is how the music business works these days to survive with CD's, and not music downloads. This is not a shock in the least, Axl is anti-internet/anti-download, and still seems to think it's 1991 when it comes to album releases.

Realistically, if he's gonna be so diehard for an old-school release on CD, this is the ONLY way to do it, and be profitable, especially with an album such as Chi Dem that is so buried in the red.

It worked for Garth Brooks. It worked for The Eagles. It's gonna work for AC/DC. And i'm sure GN'R will follow.

The whole "most dangerous band in the world" is LONG dead. It died the day the won a VMA for November Rain in 1992.

I'm just hoping, like with Garth Brooks' releases, that a Wal-Mart release might see some BIG huge CD box set for Christmas. That'd be awesome.

Also, if GN'R are even contemplating a Wal-Mart only release... then CD is not going to be explicit. No matter what version you buy.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Wahhh wahhh wahh... the album is coming out?! BUT AT WALMART!?

Dude, the album is coming out soon. Who the heck cares where it's coming out. GNR is not dangerous at all anymore and even if they were where do you suggest they sell it? At a biker gang hideout?

If you don't like it, just illegally download it. Or get it on itunes

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I have mixed views on this.

My primary thought is that this means the album is comming out. Fuck yeah! I'll take that happening if I have to buy it at the local fruit shop.

My secondary thought is that philosophically it does kinda suck being pushed to buy it at a certain store. It just doesn't seem to be how the marketpace should work to me.  As a consumer outside the USA makes it even worse. (see trying to get the DVD version of Baz's Album!).

Tertiary thought is that I guess this is what happens when we download. Axl is only going to release this if he can make a buck from it. (Fair enough too I feel). And if we make sure he can't with downloading - then he'll get his bucks from the corporates like Walmart who can and will pay him.

But hell yeah - the album may actually be comming out!!

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
-Jack- wrote:

Dude, the album is coming out soon. Who the heck cares where it's coming out. GNR is not dangerous at all anymore and even if they were where do you suggest they sell it? At a biker gang hideout?

You do understand the concept of exclusivity, right? An exclusive deal at Wal-Mart means that no one will be able to purchase it on iTunes. It also means that a ripped copy available for illegal download would come from Wal-Mart. Let's just hope the damn album itself does not need a parental advisory if they decide to go exclusive with Wal-Mart. Because I can guarantee you will not be 100% satisfied if the ONLY version available for the public to listen to is edited. Good thing is most of the leaks are clean.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:
madagas wrote:

and Von, such is the industry at this point that exclusive distribution deals are made...:smile: can't talk out of both sides of your mouth!:haha:

Except whereas music videos and arguably video games are an artform unto themselves, Wal-Mart exclusivity isn't. My point was that promotion of singles via music videos has shifted from traditional music videos, which were controversial enough in their day, to interactive videos in the form of these rhythm games. Bringing big chain exclusives into the equation, the two don't correlate at all. I wasn't being a hypocrite as I believe I covered all bases of my argument 22

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
-Jack- wrote:

You do understand the concept of exclusivity, right? An exclusive deal at Wal-Mart means that no one will be able to purchase it on iTunes. It also means that a ripped copy available for illegal download would come from Wal-Mart. Let's just hope the damn album itself does not need a parental advisory if they decide to go exclusive with Wal-Mart. Because I can guarantee you will not be 100% satisfied if the ONLY version available for the public to listen to is edited. Good thing is most of the leaks are clean.

The physical album being released at Walmart has nothing to do with iTunes. If you think Chinese Democracy won't be on itunes you are mistaken.

There's nothing at all to worry about.. the album is coming out. Seriously. And to think we would only get the clean version is ridiculous

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I just don't want to loose the part in TWAT that talks about Stephanie sucking off other dudes wink wink wink

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
-Jack- wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
-Jack- wrote:

The physical album being released at Walmart has nothing to do with iTunes. If you think Chinese Democracy won't be on itunes you are mistaken.

There's nothing at all to worry about.. the album is coming out. Seriously. And to think we would only get the clean version is ridiculous

That is an incorrect assumption. Garth Brooks' music is not available on iTunes. You can only buy it at Wal-Mart.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Wal Mart, eh?

Somewhat ironic that Chinese Democracy may find an exclusive release at a store infamous for selling cheap imported Chinese products. Keep hope alive.

Board footer