You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: Replacements Drummer Steve Foley dies

Abbey_Road wrote:

Replacements Drummer Steve Foley Dies
Similar Stories | Topics

August 27, 2008 , 11:40 AM ET

Steve Foley, who played drums with the Replacements at the tail end of their career, died last weekend in Minneapolis. He was 49. According to local media reports, Foley died after accidentally overdosing on prescription medication.

The 1990 selection of Foley, who played in such Minneapolis bands as Curtiss A, Wheelo and Snaps, as the substitute for original Replacements drummer Steve Foley has become the stuff of legend.

According to Jim Walsh's oral history "All Over But the Shouting," frontman Paul Westerberg and bassist Tommy Stinson bumped into Foley at a local bar and procured a ride from him to an audition. In the car was a copy of the brand new Replacements album "All Shook Down," prompting Westerberg and Stinson to look at each other and then exclaim to Foley, "You're already in."

Foley then toured with the band until its final show on July 4, 1991, in Chicago's Grant Park. Afterward, he and his brother Kevin joined Stinson's band Bash & Pop. Of late, he was working as a car salesman in Minneapolis.

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, visitation will be held 11 a.m. Friday (Aug. 29) at Washburn-McReavy Funeral Chapel in Edina, Minn., with burial to follow at Lakewood Cemetery.

Source: Billboard

I feel bad for Tommy Stinson.  Always hard to lose a friend.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow. I know nothing about this band but the few things I see madagas, downliner,etc. mention. Would this guy have been in the reunion, or would they have went with a different drummer?

RIP

According to Jim Walsh's oral history "All Over But the Shouting," frontman Paul Westerberg and bassist Tommy Stinson bumped into Foley at a local bar and procured a ride from him to an audition. In the car was a copy of the brand new Replacements album "All Shook Down," prompting Westerberg and Stinson to look at each other and then exclaim to Foley, "You're already in."

What a cool way to join such a band.

This isn't GNR related, but since its an untimely death from a legendary band that included Tommy, we'll leave it in this section for a few days.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Abbey_Road wrote:

I don't think madagas knows abouit this yet.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Yeah,

The first thing I thought when I saw this thread was 'Shit, maddy's gonna be bummed.'

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

RIP

is it me or has there been more celebrity deaths than normal this year

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

RIP.  Never heard of the guy though.

Sky Dog wrote:

This guy would not be considered a celebrity. I think he only played with the Mats on their 1991 tour. However, he was the drummer for Tommy's Bash and Pop record. After that, I don't know anything about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash_&_Pop

I would imagine Tommy is the one who is bummed.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Wow. I know nothing about this band but the few things I see madagas, downliner,etc. mention. Would this guy have been in the reunion, or would they have went with a different drummer?

I don't think he would have been involved. He wasn't on the two new tracks they recorded for their Best Of disc.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I know of The Replacements and their work, but other than Tommy & Paul... sorry, I couldn't name anyone else if someone had a gun to my head.

Still, RIP Steve.

Board footer