You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Re: Death Magnetic inspiring & bringing out competitive edge in GN'R

The old band always had a competitive edge, and I would imagine Metallica getting ready to kick ass; and even seeing, to a lesser extent, Motley Crue have a small resurgence, is getting the blood boiling of the original band.  They still have a certain amount of pride (as evidenced by Slash interview below) and competitive edge going back to the early days--Slash, Duff, Axl, and Izzy must be listening to Death Magnetic thinking "they made an album that kicks ass, but we can do this better".  I really think, while admiring Metallica's work, they get pissed off at the same time.  Anger, if properly channeled, can turn into a positive. 

I also think, it's time for Slash to get a Dr. Pepper if CD comes out.  He came to Axl's defense last month--he "got" Axl's proverbial back, publicly, in the face of backlash.  That has not happened since 1993.  Bold move!

http://3news.co.nz/News/EntertainmentNe … fault.aspx

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I fail to see the connection. Old GNR isn't new GNR and CD. What purpose would old members "blood boiling" serve for Chinese Democracy?

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

How does this relate to Chinese Democracy in the slightest?

I get from your post, that you think the old band listening to Metallica would be enough to bring all of them back together without any animosity and they would record another album because they can do it "better than Metallica". 

I fail to see that point.  Metallica put out a decent album.  Last i checked, GNR aren't Metallica, and haven't been trying to keep up with them.  If that were the case, the leaks would sound like St. Anger.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...the only person a kickass metallica album upsets is Dave Mustane...who goes and makes more kickass records of his own...and the cycle continues!

JIP
 Rep: 10 

JIP wrote:

sorry dudes but i think Metallica haven't put out a decent record since Black Album...Death Magnetic is an ordinary album...lots of bands can make albums like this one...

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

who is saying death magnetic is good? the only positive review it has received thus far was so obviously a puff piece, the link to the review was on metallica's website, by a guy who had the 'exclusive' opportunity to hear it before its release, the same guy who gave st anger an A-. every other review has been luke-warm to scathing.

if anyone says "OH YOU MEAN LIKE CHINESE DEMOCRACY LEAKS REVIEWS?!?!??!", i'll track them down and hurt them. i cannot stand the people who write that horse shit. i haven't read one negative professional review, in fact the only times i have seen negative comments about the leaks, seem to be in passing, on some sensationalist media website eg. "Axl rose has been working on the album for 15 years at a cost of 15 million dollars, 9 tracks leaked off the album all receiving harsh reviews", TIME magazine gave the leaks an overall B+, with individual song scores ranging from A+ to C+, rolling stone seemed almost ecstatic about the leaks, while other reviews are generally lukewarm to great, i cannot for the life of me cite one scathing review of the chinese democracy leaks.

if theres anyone reading this who is anti-review/critic, eg. "ILL BE THE JUDGE OF THE METALLICA ALBUM MYSELF" or "I'D RATHER LISTEN TO THE FAN'S OPINIONS ON IT", check out 'the day that never comes' on youtube, you'll wish the day never ever ever came! OH MY GOD HOW PUNNY OF ME! by the same token the fan's perspective of 'death magnetic' is largely negative, check blabbermouth, or sputnikmusic.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I haven't even heard the album yet and I see plenty of positive feedback from fans.

If you're looking for negative, you'll find negative. If you're looking for positive, you'll find positive. If you don't give a shit, you'll find mostly positive.

I'm not even much of a Metallica fan anymore, but I'm not gonna distort the truth and try and claim the whole world hates the record.

Of course there's gonna be some haters. Their base is very polarizing, just like GNR.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

I'm an old school who likes the pre-Black albums and this is the first one to get me really fired up since Justice.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

The difference between the two albums is obvious to me.  Metallica needed to recapture their old sound to win a lot of their old fans back.  GNR are trying for a lack of a better term, "re-invent their sound", and not make Appetite II.

Board footer