You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: What we expect from on official CD release

I was wondering if GnR fans would be disappointed if an official version of "Chinese Democracy" was released before Christmas that basically featured the 9 leaked songs from Antiquiet plus "Shackler's Revenge?"  I personally think what we heard in June was what Axl planned for Geffen to release eventually as Chinese Democracy.  But since that version was leaked they dusted off "Shackler's Revenge" from the studio archives to spark renewed interest in the record. 

Would people be disappointed with only getting a 10 song, appx 50 minute long Guns n Roses album after the 15 year wait?  Or would longtime fans just be happy that Chinese Democracy is actually done & in the stores, so Axl can get on with his life and musical career? 

Considering the tracks "Chinese Democracy," "Madagascar," "Riyadh & The Bedouins" and "The Blues" have been circulating in live form since 2001.  And "Better," "I.R.S." and "There Was A Time" have been around for 3 years, the only actual "new" tracks we'd be hearing are "Prostitute (new song 2)," "If The World" and "Shackler's Revenge."  I personally hope Axl fills out the remaning 15 minutes of space on the CD with some brand new tracks:  "Thyme," "General," "This I Love," or anything in the vein of "Shacker's Revenge" which is killer.   

Of course Axl and his management could always claim "all this music is new.  If you downloaded the leaks it's your fault these songs sound old."  Of course over half of them were performed live by the band so I guess people shouldn't have attended the concerts either.  Since the live versions we heard aren't that different than the studio ones. 

What do you all think?

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I'll be unhappy if there's less than three songs we haven't heard on it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i think that the songs we have will all pretty much be on cd...and then there is Sorry and prostitute (if its not #2)

thats about it

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I just want the album. If its all the songs we've already heard, then I'll take it. It'll provide closure on that chapter, and also gets this albatross off Axl's neck and he can decide what the next step is. Reunion or new album. I'll be happy either way. Just gotta make a move with Chinese first.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Yeah, anything is good, but I'd really love something I haven't heard yet.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think songs like Catcher - that Axl has apparently abandoned...and SR..show that Axl probably has a few surprises up his sleave....but that said...I think we've hearded the demo versions of a large chunk of the album...and that's really only our own fault when it comes down to it. But to be honest...as cool as totally new songs like SR are...i'd be diapointed if the album didn't contain like finished versions of the leaks i've come to love. So i'm hoping for a mix...all of the leaks..hopefully 2-3 other songs I don't know and maybe something fun like a cool cover track or something.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:

Anyone else think that none of the 3 new songs that leaked in June will be on the album? Seems like those three were pulled out of the vault.

I think it will be the 7 we've already heard and 3-5 unheard songs. I won't be disappointed at all. I chose to hear the material before the album came out.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
harmon420 wrote:

Anyone else think that none of the 3 new songs that leaked in June will be on the album? Seems like those three were pulled out of the vault.

Considering all three were on the 07 setlist, I doubt they were just pulled out of the vault.

harmon420 wrote:

I think it will be the 7 we've already heard and 3-5 unheard songs. I won't be disappointed at all. I chose to hear the material before the album came out.

I think the 9 songs that leaked in June were the finished album, sequenced the way Axl wanted it.  Exactly what Geffen would have released to us sometime this year had it not been stolen by one of their employees and leaked to that Antiquiet guy.

I don't think Axl has as many finished songs ready to go as we think he does.  Remember how he told Sebastian Bach to quit telling the press he has "4 album planned."  I'm sure he's got 300 hours of rough demos & ideas.  But as far as finished tracks worthy to carry the Guns n Roses name:  I'd be really surprised if there's a whole lot left.  I hope there is.  But between Axl's perfectionism and the record company's desire to only release tracks that sound like "Guns n Roses" I don't know how much actual new music we're going to get in the end.

I think we deserve a 14 or 15 song, 75 minute Chinese Democracy considered how long we've waited.  But I'll take anything at this point.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I personally think the new album will contain at least the following...

Chinese Democracy
The Blues
Madagascar
Better
I.R.S.
T.W.A.T.
If The World
Song #2 (if it's actually Prostitute, and I think it is)
Shackler's Revenge

and nothing but new unheard tracks to fill out the remaining slots.

Axl has alluded or flat out said on countless occasions for fan's to be patient, and when it comes, it's gonna come big time to tide over the long wait. Whether that means a stacked album, like Use Your Illusion I at 16 tracks filling up the entire album, or like the Illusions, a double-album concept, I dunno. My guess is CD I will be absolutely stacked at nearly 80 minutes to tide over the long wait, and will be GNR's longest album. I think the remaining stuff will be fast tracked, possibly seeing a GN'R release each year, maybe CD II next year, CD III the year after that, CD IV the following year, you get the idea. And maybe in the mean time little goodies like an EP of the axed CD tracks (for which I think Rhiad & Silkworms will be apart of) will be released, and maybe a live album featuring the new band.

We'll see. All good, reasonable, ideas.

But if CD comes out, after all these years, even if it's stuff i've already heard, and it barely scratches the 50-minute mark... yeah I might get a 'tad upset.

Board footer