You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Re: No need to tour to promote?

What are your thoughts?

Mine:

--GNR could do two nights at an intimate theater (Warfield, Hammerstein, etc.), with a high tech stage show (a la NIN), film it, and sell it to HBO, Showtime, or Cinemax as an exclusive 2 hour Hi-def show (using best of both nights) .

--They could also make the whole show or parts available online.

--Hopefully this would be a way to also showcase the full new band, Chinese Democracy, and all of the artists who worked on the album--like Bucket, Brain, maybe a cameo or two.

--If the recording was good, this would make a huge splash, with little overhead beyond production costs ($500K-$1 million, and could sell rights for $2 to $5 million, and then release a DVD).

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

But what if I ever want to see them sad

Bright Eyes 2005

Axl S wrote:

But what if I ever want to see them sad

Well of course after the release--I should have clarified, I am only speaking about the time frame right around the release, or shortly thereafter.  They would definitely tour as that is where they make big money.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I said loooooooooooong ago that this would launch with no tour. It actually helps him and the legacy. He can promote it himself through different avenues while the promotion, accolades,etc. all revolve around him. The entire revolving door becomes irrelevant in this scenario.

Bright Eyes 2005

Building this up, would also ensure better ticket sales once they did announce a tour.  The Beatles, after Revolver, quit touring, but did many high profile live performances for TV, etc.  They were able to control and promote their image as serious studio musicians and showcase the songwriting quite effectively this way.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

The Beatles were a band.  They were also vastly more popular than any band could ever be again.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Bands don't tour to support albums anymore. I mean, I know they DO, but it's not really necessary to established brand names, like - GUNS N ROSES.

They'll use the Rock Band 2 promotion, which I can't remember if it was Rock Band or Guitar Hero III that had Motley Crue's Saints of LA, which ended up being MORE successful than iTunes.

Rock Band 2 is gonna provide major promotion, and major word of mouth, that combined with some singles, and maybe a couple of SIMPLE (yes Axl, SIMPLE) videos, should do the trick, with no tour whatsoever. Understand that even with GNR's major marketability, MTV, MTV2, and even VH1 for the most part have moved past these acts.

GN'R might be a big marketable act, but just like other timeless artists such as Bruce Springsteen & Queen+PR, and other metal acts like Motley Crue, & Metallica, who are probably going to see the most major exposure through one network - VH1 Classic.

Which will no doubt be enough. If Poison can still get major exposure because of that channel, GN'R will be a piece of cake.

Another net that might be majorly interested in Guns is the pro-emo network Fuse. Most of their stuff is gay, but they have a big interest in throwback artists, especially ones like GN'R or Metallica or even Nirvana for that matter, that are still popular with the younger generation.

Bright Eyes 2005

Watching the Who at Kilburn 1977 and it makes me think just how kick ass it would be to see a two hour, high-def, pro-shot new GNR show.  Some of the footage, that leaked from the "Axl" project was incredible--if only they could get this ready for public consumption.  This Who show was a pro-shot, invite only, intimate show.  Happy Saturday Night (special)!  Amazing (think of seeing HBO trailers for a new GNR show):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgqeakDfVOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aAHcYYmam0

Incredible version of "Won't Get Fooled Again"--if you are a rock fan, a must see (the scream prior to the outro is out of this world):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5L … re=related

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

GUNS N' ROSES: Back In The Fuckin' U.K. - Live At Wembley Arena

On BLU-RAY

Would be nice.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

What was that Bright Eyes...are you talking about that video showing Axl getting out of a Hummer and walking straight to the stage and opening up jungle that leaked a while back?

I just look at what is happening here with Metallica. Huge promo everywhere in stores, it's all over the radio stations....GNR can easily come back and do the same thing without a tour.

Board footer