You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Album That Never Was

When hearing "Shackler's Revenge" I can't help wishing that Axl would have gone ahead with his original plan in the late 1990's and released an industrial sounding Guns n Roses album with Buckethead, Josh Freese and the other guys who worked on those early tracks.  It's a shame Axl was so disappointed by the reception of "Oh My God" and the record company's reaction that he shelved the whole project. 

Say what you will about that particular sound, but "Shacklers'," "Oh My God," "Riyahd" and "Silkworms" sounds inspired and confident.  I think that kind of music is what Axl was honestly into at that time.  We all know he loved Nine Inch Nails.  Bottom, line he could have released "Shackler's" and those other industrial sounding songs on the abandoned 2000 Intentions album and then put all the epics on Chinese Democracy.   The way it is now SR sounds nothing like the other leaks we've heard and doesn't really fit on the 9 song Antiquiet disc.   

At this point I really wish Axl would put out a 2 CD set.  One CD featuring the more accessible, somewhat commercial leaks we've heard so far.  And a second CD filled with the experimental circa 1999 Buckethead era tracks.   Or at least he could put those songs out under his own name.  Personally I think those songs sound less labored & self conscious than the leaks.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I always thought Axl should have released his industrial album, even though that OMG bombed and the album would have tanked, too. But he could have released another album two years later, then another and another... better and worse albums. He could have remained artistically relevant and everyone would have assumed that he has balls. Unfortunately he doesn't have any and commercial success is more important for him than acting like an artist. Everybody thinks I'm a huge Slash supporter and it's true, but I used to be a huge Axl worshipper, I even supported the early incarnation of the slashless GN'R until I realized he's so coward to do anything and balmes everyone but himself. Then I lost most of my admiration for him. I've never thought that he won't release his album until now, though.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

in the mid nineties, when he was at his prime, Axl could have shat out Shacklers and sold millions of copies...
He had that much power over the market and the music industry...

Choosing not to, and letting the music world change without him was a big gamble which i am not sure will pay off in the long run....

i hope it does, but i seriously doubt it now...

JIP
 Rep: 10 

JIP wrote:
gnrfan1987-present wrote:

When hearing "Shackler's Revenge" I can't help wishing that Axl would have gone ahead with his original plan in the late 1990's and released an industrial sounding Guns n Roses album with Buckethead, Josh Freese and the other guys who worked on those early tracks.  It's a shame Axl was so disappointed by the reception of "Oh My God" and the record company's reaction that he shelved the whole project. 

Say what you will about that particular sound, but "Shacklers'," "Oh My God," "Riyahd" and "Silkworms" sounds inspired and confident.  I think that kind of music is what Axl was honestly into at that time.  We all know he loved Nine Inch Nails.  Bottom, line he could have released "Shackler's" and those other industrial sounding songs on the abandoned 2000 Intentions album and then put all the epics on Chinese Democracy.   The way it is now SR sounds nothing like the other leaks we've heard and doesn't really fit on the 9 song Antiquiet disc.   

At this point I really wish Axl would put out a 2 CD set.  One CD featuring the more accessible, somewhat commercial leaks we've heard so far.  And a second CD filled with the experimental circa 1999 Buckethead era tracks.   Or at least he could put those songs out under his own name.  Personally I think those songs sound less labored & self conscious than the leaks.

i agree 100%

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think by the time this is all said and done, some of your theories will become true.

I think a reunion is inevitable, Axl has let GN'R drift on for too long, and that it'll take a reunion to make GN'R relevant again.

So what might be a better idea is some sort of low-priced Christmas-priced box set containing three full CD albums, a 4th & 5th disc called "2000 Intentions" that feature unreleased demos, abandoned songs for a 'CD IV' and early finished versions of of the main three albums, and possibly a 6th disc called "Appetite For Reconstruction" which features the more techno-themed re-record of AFD that was recorded in 1999/2000 with the first incarnation of the new band.

Launch a reunion at the same time of the release, which will fuel sales even more.

Then just FORGET this nightmare that has been Chinese Democracy. Axl needs to LET GO of the past, start meeting the old guys in the middle, and vice versa, they need to understand him as an artist, and the old Guns N' Roses needs to work the follow up to Illusion II.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I think by the time this is all said and done, some of your theories will become true.

I think a reunion is inevitable, Axl has let GN'R drift on for too long, and that it'll take a reunion to make GN'R relevant again.

So what might be a better idea is some sort of low-priced Christmas-priced box set containing three full CD albums, a 4th & 5th disc called "2000 Intentions" that feature unreleased demos, abandoned songs for a 'CD IV' and early finished versions of of the main three albums, and possibly a 6th disc called "Appetite For Reconstruction" which features the more techno-themed re-record of AFD that was recorded in 1999/2000 with the first incarnation of the new band.

Launch a reunion at the same time of the release, which will fuel sales even more.

Then just FORGET this nightmare that has been Chinese Democracy. Axl needs to LET GO of the past, start meeting the old guys in the middle, and vice versa, they need to understand him as an artist, and the old Guns N' Roses needs to work the follow up to Illusion II.

I think this is the best plan I've heard. Anyone got Azoff's number? >.>

Urban Masta
 Rep: 0 

Urban Masta wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Damn, this really is the greatest idea I've ever heard.

Too bad it won't happen... 18

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Love the idea besides releasing the AFD remake.  That was entirely pointless of them to make and i think it should be kept out of the public.  (at least, don't sell it, a leak would be better)

Another thing, i believe SR is a newer song.  I don't think it dates back to the original recording sessions.

Axlin08 wrote:

I don't know if a reunion can happen.  Not unless Slash & Duff are drinking and drugging again and are too wasted to remember the fact that they signed away all their rights to the GnR name and they'd basically be working as Axl's hired hands (same with Izzy & Steven).  And that Axl would get the lion share of the profits.   They'd be crazy to do a reunion.  Not unless Axl made GnR and equal partnership again and signed a contract that he won't show up 2 hours late for shows.  I'd love to see it happen.  But I think there's no way.  That's what kept the Beatles from reuniting.  Too many lawyers involved and Paul's ego got out of control. 

Basically, I'd just like to hear more new music from Axl.  I don't care what name he uses, just release the stuff.  It's a great loss that he's basically been inactive for the last 14 years and wasted the prime of his career.  He's a talented lyricist & amazing performer and it sucks that he's been more or less retired since 1994.  It would be like Mick Jagger calling it quits after the Stones released "Let It Bleed" in 1969. 

If Axl lets 2008 go by without releasing Chinese Democracy I don't know if it'll ever come out.   If I was his manager, I'd advise him to drop the Guns n Roses name & just clean out the vaults.  Release an industrial album (2000 Intentions or I guess at this point it would need to be renamed 2010 Intentions) and put out the epics on Chinese Democracy. 

As far as touring if he really wants to be in the biggest band in the world again and fill up arenas & stadiums the only way he can do that is by reuniting the original group.   I think Slash & Duff would definitely sign on if Axl would just call off the dogs (his team of lawyers).  And what else to Izzy and Steven have to do at this point?  The ball, as always, is in Axl's court.  He better hurry before Velvet Revolver finds a new lead singer.

Urban Masta
 Rep: 0 

Urban Masta wrote:

If a reunion is happening, it's already been worked out.

I do find it extremely coincidental that VR is STILL looking for a new singer.

Come on, folks. This is easy.

I remember reading an announcement by VR saying they found their new singer, and they think everyone will be really surprised who it is..   And said that they would announce it the following week.

This was like..3-4 months ago. Still no word.
Now they act like they never said that.

Not to mention Sorum saying something along the lines of, "Slash, Duff and Axl could be in a bomb shelter somewhere discussing a reunion and I wouldn't know a thing about it.", implying he most likely wouldn't be involved in a reunion.

Duff saying things like it would be awesome to work with Axl again.

Slash complimenting/praising Chinese Democracy and Axl. If Slash has truly heard Chinese Democracy, not the leaks, he may be possibly hanging out with the GNR camp right now.

Everyone has pretty much dropped out of GNR except Axl, Dizzy, BBF, and maybe Tommy...

The slots are available/open.

It would be a big paycheck for everyone involved. They would be crazy not to do it.

And with Azoff at the helm, it seems like it ties together...

Board footer