You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Spanish hoarder
 Rep: -3 

Re: The Album That Never Was

"At this point I really wish Axl would put out a 2 CD set.  One CD featuring the more accessible, somewhat commercial leaks we've heard so far.  And a second CD filled with the experimental circa 1999 Buckethead era tracks.   Or at least he could put those songs out under his own name.  Personally I think those songs sound less labored & self conscious than the leaks."

This is the best lines what Ive read...Axl is a genius, he could make everything (less a release date) possible.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't know if a reunion can happen.  Not unless Slash & Duff are drinking and drugging again and are too wasted to remember the fact that they signed away all their rights to the GnR name and they'd basically be working as Axl's hired hands (same with Izzy & Steven).  And that Axl would get the lion share of the profits.   They'd be crazy to do a reunion.  Not unless Axl made GnR and equal partnership again and signed a contract that he won't show up 2 hours late for shows.  I'd love to see it happen.  But I think there's no way.  That's what kept the Beatles from reuniting.  Too many lawyers involved and Paul's ego got out of control.

Never underestimate the power of money... especially when it concerns Slash. There's been plenty of legendary bands before them that have "co-existed" with each other as bandmates, because the money is huge and steadily there, such as The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Motley Crue, etc.

Even though Axl Rose is the one of the few people in the business that is not motivated by money in any way, I still think he could be enticed, especially if enough time as passed that he's kindler, gentler, and more forgiving of the old guys.

But if they look at it like they're Axl's "hired Guns", then it'll never get off the ground, and it won't be Axl's fault. They all would have to meet in the middle and compromise. You can't rewrite history, but maybe you can learn from it.

I think you're also underestimating the generosity of Axl. He doesn't have to give up anything when it concerns GN'R. Just enter a new business arrangment, that gives them all equal shares, with possibly a lower share for Axl, because he retains the rights to the name - GUNS N ROSES.

I don't think these guys will be The Beatles. Because Paul McCartney didn't continue touring with a new band called The Beatles. Slash & Duff will have to "take it or leave it" in some ways, because they know Axl can and will go on with GN'R with a different lineup.

Basically, I'd just like to hear more new music from Axl.  I don't care what name he uses, just release the stuff.  It's a great loss that he's basically been inactive for the last 14 years and wasted the prime of his career.  He's a talented lyricist & amazing performer and it sucks that he's been more or less retired since 1994.  It would be like Mick Jagger calling it quits after the Stones released "Let It Bleed" in 1969.

I would to. But I see no problem in the future of GN'R being the past. Going back to the old days, both as a band and with a sound. Bands like Metallica still tour, with new albums, but primarily play their old hits. Which is pretty much what Guns does now, except with different players.

If Axl lets 2008 go by without releasing Chinese Democracy I don't know if it'll ever come out.   If I was his manager, I'd advise him to drop the Guns n Roses name & just clean out the vaults.  Release an industrial album (2000 Intentions or I guess at this point it would need to be renamed 2010 Intentions) and put out the epics on Chinese Democracy.

If it don't come out in 2008, its ain't ever coming out.

As far as touring if he really wants to be in the biggest band in the world again and fill up arenas & stadiums the only way he can do that is by reuniting the original group.

He doesn't want that apparently. I watched the man and new GN'R come out and perform a full set in front of a lackluster crowd of only 3500 people in an arena.

In an almost Izzy-sense, I think Axl likes the smaller crowd these days with his extreme reclusiveness.

I think Slash & Duff would definitely sign on if Axl would just call off the dogs (his team of lawyers).  And what else to Izzy and Steven have to do at this point?  The ball, as always, is in Axl's court.  He better hurry before Velvet Revolver finds a new lead singer.

What "dogs"? Izzy has already been welcomed into the fold, remember 2006? And it's been alluded to that had he wanted to be there full time, he would've been allowed. Izzy doesn't want to be. Which is why I think, even if a reunion happened, Izzy would do a few months, the "big shows", and then suddenly Richard Fortus would be back on rhythm along side Slash & Duff.

Steven ain't coming back. No way, no how. I think the most recent drug arrest clinched that. Matt... it could go one way or another really. Matt could've made that 'bomb shelter' statement to try and throw the hounds off the trail, or he could've truely meant that he doesn't think he'll be apart of a reunion. If the latter is the case, Frank Ferrer will be on drums.

If a reunion is happening, it's already been worked out.

I do find it extremely coincidental that VR is STILL looking for a new singer.

Come on, folks. This is easy.

I remember reading an announcement by VR saying they found their new singer, and they think everyone will be really surprised who it is..   And said that they would announce it the following week.

This was like..3-4 months ago. Still no word.
Now they act like they never said that.

Not to mention Sorum saying something along the lines of, "Slash, Duff and Axl could be in a bomb shelter somewhere discussing a reunion and I wouldn't know a thing about it.", implying he most likely wouldn't be involved in a reunion.

Duff saying things like it would be awesome to work with Axl again.

Slash complimenting/praising Chinese Democracy and Axl. If Slash has truly heard Chinese Democracy, not the leaks, he may be possibly hanging out with the GNR camp right now.

Everyone has pretty much dropped out of GNR except Axl, Dizzy, BBF, and maybe Tommy...

The slots are available/open.

It would be a big paycheck for everyone involved. They would be crazy not to do it.

And with Azoff at the helm, it seems like it ties together...

Not to mention all the crazy rumors this last year. Axl & Slash, POSSIBLY at the same hotel in NYC. The GN'R camp is SUPER quiet, as always, but the strange thing is VR is almost Axl-esque quiet too. Very unlike them.

Scott Weiland claiming the contracts are waiting to be signed, and that they left the money on the table back in 2006 for a reunion. Duff denied both allegations, but.... hmm... how strange.

And that of course isn't counting all the obvious, like the buttkissing, GN'R without a lead guitarist & bassist and VR without a lead singer, and the fact "the king of reunions" is suddenly GNR's manager.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

The odds surely favor a reunion at this point. 

I honestly don't think Scott would have just spouted that off without having real reason to say it.  I believe a few previous members have said they've been offered huge amounts of money but turned it down.  I could be wrong though. 

I do find it very interesting that all of a sudden GNR's members are starting to drop out, and VR still haven't found a singer.  They don't seem like they are trying too hard anyway right now, at least that's the way it seems with all the silence. 

The way they've been towards each other in the press also shows that they could have reconciled things.  There has been no negativity towards Axl at all, and that's pretty much including Sorum.

What makes me believe it more is that this is following the same pattern as the STP reunion.  All of a sudden the ex members start talking about the band more, and start talking about each other with no negativity whatsoever.  Turns out they had reconciled things, and i think this could be the case with GNR as well.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Please stop the 'Axl is not motivated by money' legend. Look at his house. Look at his cars. Look at his paintings, neon flying pegasus horses, megalomaniac videos, etc. and last but not least his dirty actions to get the name. I know that Merck said that Axl is not interested in money and fame, but we all know that he's a liar. Just read Axl's infamous 2006 press release.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Please stop the 'Axl is not motivated by money' legend.

He's not.

- He pocketed a multi-million dollar advance on the new GNR studio album Geffen made available in '94 by turning bandmates into employees.
- He received a $1 Million bonus in '98 to continue working on the album.
- He received a $1 Million advance from Clear Channel for the 2002 tour.
- He received a $10,000 personal reward as 'creative producer' for the film Real Cancun, for allowing Paradise City on the soundtrack.
- He received $250,000 as an advance for Greatest Hits in 2004, yet sued Geffen while refusing to return that advance.

Axl just takes the money and runs. He doesn't need to do anything to get that money, he gets it anyway. Neither has money spurred him into that many notable outcomes as of late, which has kind of bummed those who've invested in him.

Therefore, money cannot be considered as a motivation. wink

Board footer