You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: First single is If The World? (theory)

Mikkamakka wrote:

I think having the song in the Di Caprio movie implies that it will be the first single off CD. Furthermore, it's one of the three tracks the management played for BestBuy, among the title track and Axl's favourite song. On the other hand... I think it'd be a disaster. The lyrics are so cheesy that old-GN'R fans will run away and the music... well, boring for me. My two cents 19

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If the World would have been a huge hit in 1995. I could easily imagine it being played between Kiss From a Rose and Lightning Crashes.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

This is my least favorite song of all the leaks, so I would hope this isn't their first song.  I fully believe Better is their best bet.

James

James wrote:

I think Riyadh or the title track would have been the best song to use on the launch pad, but if this song is necessary to get the wheels rolling, then so be it.

Randall Flagg

In the all the critic commentary on the downfall of GN'R, songs like Estranged are often referenced for the bloating and indulgence GN'R resorted to.  Now don't get me wrong, I love Estranged and think it's one of their greatest songs; but I am a GN'R fan.  The opening single to Chinese Democracy needs to be something that is to the point and rocks.  Something that non-GN'R fans will like and be intrigued by.  Going with If The World as their first single is a huge mistake IMO.  It's not going to strike a chord with the masses and will immediately turn people off to GN'R.

James

James wrote:

It definitely sends a specific signal to music lovers, one that aims towards easy listening. This is potentially a signal that the album is ballad heavy and they are using this track to convey that. No point in kicking peoples teeth in with the title track if it stands out among the syrup. Sort of like a reverse More Than Words. Tons of people bought that thinking it was an album full of similar songs. It wasn't.

The album is 15 tracks according to those that were there.  No room for filler, and if this song is a representation of what the album is, then it deserves first single status. If the album is more rock oriented, then yes this track is a mistake.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

While it is a logical choice because If the world is very radio friendly, it's a bad choice as well as the song is very mediocre at best.  Just my opinion though.

Randall Flagg

We've already heard 10 of the songs, so we know what this album represents.  The traditional Single flow is rocker, ballad and rocker.  There are 5 songs we haven't heard yet (that we know of) so who knows what the other 33% of the album may be, but there is a tone that has been set in the leaks and it's reasonable to expect the remaining songs to follow.  Personally I hope they stay away from the SR's and If The World type vibe and stay more towards, TWAT, Better and The Blues.  If this album represents a ballad, then go with TWAT because that song will knock the socks off people.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

We've already heard 10 of the songs, so we know what this album represents.  The traditional Single flow is rocker, ballad and rocker.  There are 5 songs we haven't heard yet (that we know of) so who knows what the other 33% of the album may be, but there is a tone that has been set in the leaks and it's reasonable to expect the remaining songs to follow.  Personally I hope they stay away from the SR's and If The World type vibe and stay more towards, TWAT, Better and The Blues.  If this album represents a ballad, then go with TWAT because that song will knock the socks off people.

TWAT would've been an excellent choice.

James

James wrote:

We've heard....

Chinese Democracy
The Blues
Madagascar
Riyadh
Silkworms
IRS
Better
There Was a Time
Catcher in the Rye
If the World
Track 2
Shackler's Revenge

Which ones have pretty much been confirmed?

Chinese Democracy
If the World
There Was a Time

The rest of the tracklist is pure speculation until a tracklist is confirmed. It could have all those songs above, some of them, or none of them.

Board footer