You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: First single is If The World? (theory)

Axlin16 wrote:

I could see If The World, or even Song #2 being something that immediately strikes a chord with casual audiences. They could be fuckin' Coldplay songs. I mean I know that Coldplay sucks, but you get the idea. They're that mainstream.

Like James said, if CD is primarily epic ballads, which by all accounts it is, then kicking off with the first single being a rocker wouldn't make sense. It wouldn't representative of the album. The only sense that'd make is if the album sucks, and they feel If The World is the best they have to offer, which they know is not true. Sorry might be like Coma, which obviously is not suited for radio.

Take it with a grain of salt, but Mysteron said Shackler would be the first single.

James Lofton wrote:

We've heard....

Chinese Democracy
The Blues
Madagascar
Riyadh
Silkworms
IRS
Better
There Was a Time
Catcher in the Rye
If the World
Track 2
Shackler's Revenge

Which ones have pretty much been confirmed?

Chinese Democracy
If the World
There Was a Time

The rest of the tracklist is pure speculation until a tracklist is confirmed. It could have all those songs above, some of them, or none of them.

The Blues and Madagascar were confirmed by Axl in 2002. Along with CD. So those, TWAT, If The World, Shackler, and Better have all been confirmed through various sources close to the band. We've heard half the album.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Mysteron didn't say Shackler was going to be the first single.  He said something along the lines that, the band hopes for it to be the first single.  I don't remember the exact quote, but I'm quite certain he didn't say it WOULD 100% be the first single.

Apparently "If The World" isn't going to be on the soundtrack, so I'm not so sure it'll be released as a single after all.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

It's a very odd single choice, and not one that will be extremely successful, but it's one of my favorite leaks and is a good balance of Shacklers. Almost everything the critics complained about with Shacklers is different in If The World, of course that doesn't mean they will like it. But it would make it harder to make a negative generalization about CD. Really all I can think of after hearing those two songs is, it sounds dated, and not GNR-y. We always knew critics would say that anyways, so it doesn't bother me that it would happen with a Shacklers-If The World one-two punch.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

I definitely don't think it is a good choice to introduce the world to the first original GNR track in a decade. If The World is a good tune, but it strikes me as the type of track that only the real fans can appreciate. I don't see it as mainstream radio material.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

I definitely don't think it is a good choice to introduce the world to the first original GNR track in a decade. If The World is a good tune, but it strikes me as the type of track that only the real fans can appreciate. I don't see it as mainstream radio material.

You're too late, they already introduced the world to Shackler last month.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I think the single won't be If the World.  I could be wrong, but i think we'll see a third release from GNR.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Mysteron didn't say Shackler was going to be the first single.  He said something along the lines that, the band hopes for it to be the first single.  I don't remember the exact quote, but I'm quite certain he didn't say it WOULD 100% be the first single.

Apparently "If The World" isn't going to be on the soundtrack, so I'm not so sure it'll be released as a single after all.

Dude why do you nitpick Mysteron's statements to bail him out of being discredited?

"the band hopes to have it be the first single"

that is exactly the following...

"Shackler is the first single"

And if he's wrong, then for the 900th time he'll be proven an invaluable source.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I think "If The World" is awesome and has a timeless classic Pink Floydish feel to it.

I don't think u can go wrong with it.

whats going to be weird is what we've heard so far is a melting pot of styles and Im not sure how they are going to fit together and flow on the album.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

I think "If The World" is awesome and has a timeless classic Pink Floydish feel to it.

I don't think u can go wrong with it.

whats going to be weird is what we've heard so far is a melting pot of styles and Im not sure how they are going to fit together and flow on the album.

There's two songs that I am positive about their positions on the album. The first song is CD. The final song is TWAT. The way CD starts with the extended slow build-up and then the kickass guitar lick is an obvious album-opener. And the way TWAT finishes just feels like an album-ender to me, kind of like how Rocket Queen ends.

Board footer