You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chinese Democracy torrents

James wrote:

Since torrents seem to be overrunning p2p sites such as limewire, kazaa,etc. as the "go to" places for music, I was curious about peoples experiences with these torrents. I know how Limewire always had fake shit listed as GNR or would have songs from other bands(Poison) listed as GNR.

So what has happened on your elusive quest for Chinese Democracy? Searches hoping to find the holy grail that didn't include the demos you already have? "Rick Rolled" to death? Completely fake torrents? Any viruses you've encountered?

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i would get spyware, adaware, and viruses just about every time i downloaded at those sites. i don't do that any more. if i want to hear a song, i do not have, i buy it or go to youtube and listen to it on my computer.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

most of what I've downloaded turned out to be a combination of demos and live performances we already have.  Some include really old demos like Crash Diet and B sides like Shadow of Your Love. 

I haven't gotten any viruses and bad things on torrents.  Of course, most of the sites that I use let you view the files before downloading.  So I usually pick the files with wav and mp3s instead of the rar and zip files.  I guess my advice is to check them out before downloading to verify that they don't end up with shit on your computer.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

I'm on a Mac so viruses aren't really an issue (they are usually in .exe files which do not run on the Mac operating system). However, when the Antiquiet.com leaks happened, I downloaded them from a torrent and they were legit.

Backslash wrote:

most of what I've downloaded turned out to be a combination of demos and live performances we already have.  Some include really old demos like Crash Diet and B sides like Shadow of Your Love. 

I haven't gotten any viruses and bad things on torrents.  Of course, most of the sites that I use let you view the files before downloading.  So I usually pick the files with wav and mp3s instead of the rar and zip files.  I guess my advice is to check them out before downloading to verify that they don't end up with shit on your computer.

Yeah,the only torrents I've found that's supposed to be CD are always a mix of demos and live stuff,I have never gotten a virus,adware or spyware from any torrents or on LimeWire.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

same here. dmos etc. good to catch up with if your PC crashes or you misplace the files. No viruses, spyware, etc

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I almost never use torrents, opting for direct links. I've never encountered any viruses or fake files, although I have caught a couple loaded with all kinds of adverts and spam for various websites.

Most the torrent sites I've used are pretty safe as long as you have Norton Antivirus with Spyware running.  Plus you can scan files before you open them to make sure they are virus free.  The biggest problem is the spyware & worms people have talked about.  A lot of those .rar files leave a trail on your computer. 

As far as the Chinese Democracy demos out there the best versions I've found have always been through fan forums.  Members trading songs using Rapidshare or Megaupload.  I'm not gonna mention any forum names because I don't want Axl's laywers shutting them down.  But I found the easiest way is to just search Yahoo.  Plus its safer and takes less time than downloading torrents.

they have a new thing on ImageShack where (if you have an account)you can upload a torrent file and it will download the songs or whatever to you ImageShack account and from there you can download them to your computer,it works ok,I know I did that when I downloaded SR just to test it out.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

usin linux and newsgroups, what you see is what you get, but only good for full cds, tho i did find a couple of shacklers there...

Board footer