You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Upside of a Best Buy deal

I gotta admit I have mixed feelings about the "Best Buy exclusive" deal. I fear it will hurt sales of the album because times are tough and visiting Best Buy is pretty low on most people's priorities (shit, many folks probably can't afford the gas it takes to get there).  But BB does have a great online site (equal to Amazon) so fans can always order it through the web. 

The upside to this whole exclusive deal is that Best Buy usually issues limited edition versions of their discs.  The Who first released "Endless Wire" thru BB and included 3 bonus songs & a DVD.  And when The Eagles made their latest album a "Wal Mart only" release they put out an expanded 2 disc version 6 months after the original dropped. 

So I think it is a good way for GnR to get their new music out to the public.  Plus we'll probably end up hearing more songs than we would with a traditional release.  I'm cautiously optimistic.  Since the deal hasn't been announced yet and we still don't have a release date.

But in the dream scenerio, will get 75 minute plus CD on November 25th with a bonus DVD featuring live performances.    And then in six months or so a 2CD set with a bunch of bonus songs.  Dare to dream.  But if Axl really does have 32 songs to release, BB is a good way to go about getting them out to the public.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
gnrfan1987-present wrote:

when The Eagles made their latest album a "Wal Mart only" release they put out an expanded 2 disc version 6 months after the original dropped. 

If GNR does that, I'll be pissed.   I should be rewarded for wanting to have the album as soon as possible, not expected to buy it again to get some extra stuff that I would have bought given the opportunity.

I was wicked pissed when I heard Contraband had been re-released with the bonus covers.  Because of that I still haven't heard their version of No More No More, even though it's one of my favorite Aerosmith songs.

I'm fine with a Best Buy exclusive deal though, that's where I buy most of my music anyway.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

When Best Buy releases a limited edition version of an album it is used as an incentive to purchase the album at BB instead of another retailer. Since it is going to be an exlusive there isn't that incentive, but maybe they will release an expanded version. I'd imagine there is a strong possibility we'll see multiple versions since Uni wants to squeeze out every last penny they can on this album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

No no, what they should do is REVERSE of what The Eagles.

Release a 2-CD album initially as a special LE of only so many units, available for ONLY the week of Thanksgiving and up through Black Friday.

Then pull it in favor of a 1-disc CD. It'll allow Axl more privacy, and there would be a bum rush for a one week only 2-disc version.

Maybe a DVD with live performances could also be apart of the one-week LE.

Acquiesce wrote:

When Best Buy releases a limited edition version of an album it is used as an incentive to purchase the album at BB instead of another retailer. Since it is going to be an exlusive there isn't that incentive, but maybe they will release an expanded version. I'd imagine there is a strong possibility we'll see multiple versions since Uni wants to squeeze out every last penny they can on this album.

Yeah that's a good point.  I've driven to Best Buy many time just to get the "extra material" on CDs or DVD's that only they offer.  Like the Kissology DVD's and The Who "Amazing Journey" DVD.  I guess since Best Buy will be the only ones selling "Chinese Democracy" they can sell it as is and skimp on the extras.  Bummer. 

Here's how the Eagles put out "Long Road out of Eden" last year.  Which BTW took about 6 years to make.
10/30/07:  2CD release featuring 20 songs (90 minutes of new music).  For the first year after the album's initial release, the album will be available in North America exclusively via the band's website, or through Wal-Mart and Sam's Club retail stores. Internationally, it will be commercially available through traditional retail outlets.

11/30/07:  Deluxe Collector's Edition released featuring two bonus tracks, Included a 40 page booklet with lyrics, credits, exclusive photos.

Interesting the parallels with the Eagles.  That was their first new studio album since 1979.  They rewarded their fans definitely.  Aside from the fact they had to go to Wal Mart.  But they also sold it through their website which Guns should definitely do.

Acquiesce

Acquiesce wrote:

I think that might backfire. I think it would piss off a lot of people that couldn't get the album during the first week for whatever reason. Not to mention they'd lose money on the LE's that didn't sell that first week.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Even if GN'R take off, I certaintly don't see the website changing at all.

Even in 2006, this was a website that didn't even post an article FOR THE LAUNCH of the North American tour. They didn't even mention recaps of the first SEVERAL shows on the tour.

That's active.

I don't think the album's release will change that. GN'R will exist, but still as if it's 1992. Just through the occasional press release/conferences, magazine articles, and VH1 Classic news breaks.

Acquiesce

Acquiesce wrote:
gnrfan1987-present wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

Yeah that's a good point.  I've driven to Best Buy many time just to get the "extra material" on CDs or DVD's that only they offer.  Like the Kissology DVD's and The Who "Amazing Journey" DVD.  I guess since Best Buy will be the only ones selling "Chinese Democracy" they can sell it as is and skimp on the extras.  Bummer. 

Here's how the Eagles put out "Long Road out of Eden" last year.  Which BTW took about 6 years to make.
10/30/07:  2CD release featuring 20 songs (90 minutes of new music).  For the first year after the album's initial release, the album will be available in North America exclusively via the band's website, or through Wal-Mart and Sam's Club retail stores. Internationally, it will be commercially available through traditional retail outlets.

11/30/07:  Deluxe Collector's Edition released featuring two bonus tracks, Included a 40 page booklet with lyrics, credits, exclusive photos.

Interesting the parallels with the Eagles.  That was their first new studio album since 1979.  They rewarded their fans definitely.  Aside from the fact they had to go to Wal Mart.  But they also sold it through their website which Guns should definitely do.

Yeah, I mostly buy at Best Buy these days just to get those extras.

I think it is likely we'll see more than one version and I think it's likely it will come in a similar manner to what the Eagles did. Azoff seems to be about maximizing profits so that would make sense. He knows the diehards will go out and buy the cd right away and then would go out and buy a special edition when it is released.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I don't like double, triple, and quadruple dipping. The ONLY way they are suckering me into buying multiple copies is if all versions are released at once. When Kala was released, I bought the CD, LP, and Japanese import CD that had 3 bonus tracks.

If a different version of CD is released months after initial release, I wont be buying it.

Board footer