You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Re: Economic crisis could delay CD, and other releases

With shopping expected to be drastically down this X-mas season, an exclusive release through a retailer like Best Buy would be negatively impacted--mainly due to reduced foot traffic, and reduced funds for extra purchases after getting an X-Box, DVD player, Hi-def TV, etc.  If Universal and Best Buy would delay, it maybe justified, from a simple economic point.  I am sure both entities are feeling a major pinch on their credit lines, which would be used to roll much of this out.  Moreover, their capital holdings have taken a massive hit in the past three weeks.  It must be said, the release maybe delayed, but this time, it is not Axl or the bands fault.  On the other hand, GNR are the rhythm of uncertainty, and chaotic times.  It maybe just the right time, and just what the doctor ordered.  We'll see!  Money talks...

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Not bashing the leaks, but i don't think CD will be able to capture the time like AFD did.  And i honestly don't believe that is Axl's intention with this album either. 

I think album releases will go as scheduled regardless of the economic climate, because by delaying anyone is risking the economy not recovering and in fact getting worse.  They will take chances either way.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

these days

people buy christmas presents for their spoiled brats in this country regardless of what's going on with the economy

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Axl uses this as an excuse.  Is it a valid one?  Not really.  People will spend just as much.  We live in a consuming society.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Not bashing the leaks, but i don't think CD will be able to capture the time like AFD did.  And i honestly don't believe that is Axl's intention with this album either.

I don't think that's bashing at all.  Anybody that thinks it could capture the times like Appetite is kidding themselves.  How many albums since have...  maybe half a dozen in 20 years.

Be it fans, band members, executives, or anybody else, it they think there's any chance of an AFD part II impact (good economic times or not), they're gonna be sadly mistaken.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The economy is not going to affect consumer spending on a massive level imo. Anything said otherwise is media sensationalism.

If GN'R or the label are worried, release a 1-disc album priced at $9.99, and at the same time some big 6-disc box set at $35 bucks.

Believe me, it'll sell.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

Yeah, I really don't think the economy will impact the release date, but Axl could always use that as an excuse. I don't see why The Christmas shopping season would be any worse of a time to release it than other any time during our current economic crisis. The way I see it, Christmas is still the time to release it. No one knows when the economy is going to rebound.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

When 9/11 happened some GN'R fans feared that it would delay the album. I don't know it it had any effect, but I'm more afraid that Axl will delay it for whatever reasons.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

That's what I think too.  It's the big ticket items that are going to take a hit with shoppers.  I know with the way things are, my spending budget is much tighter and I will be getting smaller items this year with my holiday shopping.  CD for all!!!

Board footer