You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chinese Democracy release date?

James wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

How many do we realistically expect GNR to sell in its first week?

Before this Best Buy exclusive, I would have predicted sales of 50-100 thousand first week(yeah, seriously). Now that they have it, they've got millions to unload, and the fact Best Buy is known to have $$5.99- $7.99 sales (and the holidays are coming up), I'll put the ceiling at 250,000 copies sold first week, although realistically I would say 175,000.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was 90-100 thousand.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

i will write anus on all of my upcoming HSC exams(final high school exams) if the albums sells less than 500k in its first week. wait, the album will be released after that, hmmmm if the album sells less than 500k in its first week i ll cut off my arm, yes i will.

Captain Winkler

saying it will only sell 100k is being too realistic, i mean sure you can be a realist as opposed to optimistic, but avenged sevenfold sold 94k in their first week, and yea i know GNR aren't contemporary artists anymore etc etc. but the fact remains its GNR, their greatest hits sold 4 million in the U.S, contraband(GNR associates) debuted #1, its not only fan sites who care about the release, as i've seen some ludicrous people here write. TIME magazine reviewed the LEAKS(not official releases just leaks), there are currently 120 news articles devoted to the RUMORED release of Chinese democracy. if you think the GNR brand, or Axl is redundant, you're simply being negative to a fault.

misinformed idiots such as perez hilton may view Axl as redundant, but that doesn't mean him and others like him aren't devoting airtime and blogspace to Chinese democracy, any reputable music source is excited about this release, that is undeniable.

it will debut at #1, guaranteed.

Sky Dog wrote:

over 500,000 is my pick.....but my predition is anywhere from 500,000 to 600,000 tops.  James, you are WAY low.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

If it's one album, around 200,000, divided by three versions.

If it's three albums, around 300,000 (100k each).

Captain Winkler

no Axlin you are wrong and i am right

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I predicted at least a million after the first month of release 2 years ago. As for the first week I can see it doing between 425,000-600,000 tops.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

See, for me James' estimates are more realistic. 500,000  in this day and age seems really high to me.

Captain Winkler, you cant really compare GH to CD. The GH appeals to an entirely different audience, in my opinion. Greatest Hits sets are meant for the causual fan who enjoy these timeless classics but doesn't own the band's entire catalog. CD is more appealing to the diehards. So I'm not sure CD will even do a fraction of the GH sales, but I'll guess we'll see. Anyone know the first week sales for the GH?

I also question if people really care about CD. I mean yes, it certainly does get attention in the press, but what about the actual music buying public? I'm a total internet nerd and I visit a couple of other music boards and there has been very little interest in the news about CD being released. Not many people commented on either board, and the majority of the little comments were all negative. They were either bashing Axl or the leaks.

I don't know maybe there will be more interest when we get closer to the actual release date, but so far it has seemed pretty anti-climatic. The myth was greater than reality methinks.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

over 500,000 is my pick.....but my predition is anywhere from 500,000 to 600,000 tops.  James, you are WAY low.

I agree. Libertad sold like 190,000 copies in its first week with a non-hit first single and nobody really cared about that album, including the label. Axl Rose hasn't released new material for 17 years. It'll be something really unique. I know that a lot of people will only download it, but even with them, CD will be over 500,000 in its first week. I don't rule out an even higher number, although sales will drop drastically after the first 2-3 weeks, if there isn't something much appealing then what we've heard.

I definitely believe that it'll do "Long Road out of Eden" numbers thanks to the Best Buy exclusive in the US.

I'm not doubting that for a second.

Board footer