You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: Pitmans official website opened

sic. wrote:

http://www.chrispitman.com/

The News section is still behind a login, but the Music section is open for public.

Interesting tidbit about GNR, Neemo.

Since the time of Lusk, I became involved with the numerous publishing companies here in LA that would pair songwriters together for recording projects, these included EMI, Rondor/Famous music, Sony and others. I was writing songs for a few artists like Jezef C. as well as writing the single for Blinker the Stars record for Dreamworks. In fact it was at Ocean Way Studios with Jordan recording 'Below the Sliding doors' when I got the call from GNR. This was May 1998, and I had a friend who was working with Guns at the time.

Several months earlier, i had been invited down to their studio to meet and hang out with the guys, the purpose being, as he explained, they were looking for a producer or collaborator, and someone to bring some 'modern' sounds to the mix.

He said that Axl was a fan of LUSK and was really into the wierd guitar sounds, and Orchestration we did. There i met Axl, who was very gracious, respectful dude with that larger-than-life persona he's got, and would make you feel like you had been part of the family for years. We sat in the control room all night listening to tons of songs and jam tapes that they were working on. Axl, along with Paul Tobias and Dizzy Reed were the core writers of the band at the time, and were writing some incredible stuff, you could tell they were in the right place exploring and reaching for the stars, so to speak.

There was a good vibe there, a creative atmosphere, and enough can't be said about the good people that Paul and Dizzy are.

Axl was playing a lot of lead guitar and experimenting with sounds, and was a damn creative player. Occasionally he would pipe in 'you hear that Lusk guitar there?!!'

Being from the Kansas City myself, we shared common midwest stories and blunders, not to mention he has a million jokes up his sleeves, he would just leave you gutted. We had a good time hanging out, and spirits were quite jovial at the time.

At the end of the night, or morning shall i say, Axl piped out "you know..ive already got a full band, but would like to figure out some way of working you in" "cool, sounds good, give me a buzz!"

about a month later i got the buzz, 'hey, me and sean are just finishing up putting a studio together up in Axl's guest house, and he wants you to come hang out", "yeah...and do what exactly?!" "you know..just do what you do, recording, playing whatever!" "cool....when do you want to do this?" "you can come up tonite if you want to hang"

Interesting...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I need to hear that Lusk material. One reason I've never been able to comment much on Pitman. Haven't heard enough to really have much of an opinion.

sic.

sic. wrote:

James,

Go to his site and you can stream some LUSK, as well as other works.

--

I have a feeling Pitman came down through Billy Howerdel. They're both Tool alumni, so it'd make sense. Also, I understand Howerdel was working with GNR around the time when Pitman was initially approached (early '98).

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

interesting sic thanks for the heads up

it appears that pitman and stuart white were in the band at the same time in the late 90's which woulda made it 4 guys on keys (axl, dizzy, chris, stuart)

sic.

sic. wrote:

Close, but...

Axl composes a lot on the piano, and as Chris put it, also strummed guitar at that point.

Dizzy was the main keyboardist.

Stuart White is an FX guy, and likely worked on OMG and Live Era as a temporary recruit.

Howerdel started as the guitar tech but soon became Axl's personal assistant / computer tech.

Pitman would've therefore inherited Howerdel's place as the band's programmer.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

axl on lead guitar...very interesting. wonder if hes credited anywhere on the album for it.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

So CD is supposedly coming out in the next couple months and one of the two active CD threads is about pitman?  Something isn't quite right about all of this.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Pitman has rarely spoke about GNR so hearing how he hooked up with GNR is pretty cool I think smile

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not saying it isn't interesting (even though he's the worst thing to happen to GnR since Paul Huge).  I just can't believe there isn't something more exciting to discuss than this on the verge of CD's release.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I think we've pretty much covered it all, buzz, in our endless rumor threads. Everything still is in rumor mode anyhow.

I'm with downliner: this is at least something new.

Board footer