You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

Re: How does the new material rank against the old?

-Jack- wrote:

The only new songs I would put in my top 10 GNR songs is Catcher and "Street of Dreams" (The Blues... but might as well start calling the songs by their correct title huh?). I'm sure once everything is mixed and mastered it will sound way better to my ears, but all the leaks (minus Catcher because it came from a different source) have a nasty edge to them that makes the annoying for me to listen to

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Old Top-10:

Estranged
Coma
Welcome To The Jungle
Paradise City
November Rain
You Could Be Mine
Nightrain
Rocket Queen
Locomotive
Breakdown

Top-10 (w/ new songs):

Estranged
Coma
Prostitute
There Was A Time
Welcome To The Jungle
Paradise City
November Rain
Madagascar
Catcher N' The Rye
You Could Be Mine

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

If you rank CD against AFD then CD is weak.  I agree with Sandman on this.  AFD is one of rock's greatest records of all time and CD can't even dream of touching AFD.  I would put it in comparison to UYI 1&2 no probs.  The only 2 songs that would break my top ten favorite GNR songs from CD are CD and Catcher.  Maybe I'll change my mind after the release but that's where I stand now.  And none of CD's demos (leaks) I've heard thus far comes even close to any songs on AFD except maybe Anything Goes, I think about you and maybe You're crazy.  And even with those songs there aren't many CD songs that comes close to those 3.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

This thread is laughable (no offense Neemo).

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Laughable but can be worth a discussion.  But should be changed to how it compares to UYI's 1&2.  AFD is just untouchable in my opinion.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Laughable but can be worth a discussion.  But should be changed to how it compares to UYI's 1&2.  AFD is just untouchable in my opinion.

AFD has 2, maybe 3 songs that could be considered "weak" but even they are still pretty good songs. Those would be Think About You, Anything Goes, and You're Crazy (electric version). The acoustic version of You're Crazy on GN'R Lies is amazing.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

AFD has 2, maybe 3 songs that could be considered "weak" but even they are still pretty good songs. Those would be Think About You, Anything Goes, and You're Crazy (electric version). The acoustic version of You're Crazy on GN'R Lies is amazing.

Couldn't agree with you more.  And as I said before except for maybe a couple leaks we heard, I ain't even sure ANYTHING on CD can touch those 3 weak songs on AFD. 

That is why I will not believe anyone that claims to have become GNR fans with Nu GNR.  Just impossible.  To become a Nu GNR fan you had to have heard old GNR and like it or else you can't know about Nu GNR cause they haven't released anything yet.  And nobody will go 'Hmmm.  I don't know GNR but I'll download new songs from them to see how I like them'.  You'll download the classics first and if you like you'll download the leaks.

Anyone who hoped CD to be as good or better than AFD was only setting themselves up for disappointment.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Other than Riad, the entire CD tracklist is stronger than You're Crazy [electric] & Anything Goes. Prositute & TWAT is stronger than anything on AFD. Out Ta Get Me & SCOM are vastly overrated.

The rest of the album is strong imo, and imo Think About You is vastly underrated.

I understand people view AFD as a masterpiece, and that's fine, but imo if you combine a few top-tier tracks from Lies on AFD, combine UYI 1 & 2, and this have a tri-face off between AFD/Lies vs. UYI vs. CD...

I do think CD has a fair shake in that competition.

You guys I think are approaching this with a bias that - "only nu-GNR fans would actually think CD can compete with AFD", when it reality what you're not realizing is - "only AFD fans would NOT understand that CD can be as good as AFD".

It all depends on the perception of the fan. But not all of us feel AFD is untouchable.

My top-5 only features ONE AFD song - Jungle. The rest is Illusion I, II & CD.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Axlin08, I personally love Think About You. Axl's vocals were awesome on that song. He put a lot of passion into it and the guitar work was top notch on that song as well. Anything Goes, though, is the one song I can say is weak on AFD. I used to like it when I was younger, but I find myself not digging it as much nowadays.

By the way, I think the lyrics in TWAT suck ass compared to the kind of stuff on AFD. Axl was speaking a little gritty truth on that album and TWAT has overblown cheesy lyrics. It's not the only song on CD that has those kind of lyrics either. Lyrically, I think My Michelle could be the best song he ever wrote. Just givin' the world an insight into the dark side of the L.A. gutter rat rock star scene.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I think the "weak" songs on AFD are amongst its best. I think the Illusions, tonally, make for a better comparison to the CD material. But comparing old and new is nearly impossible. For me, there are certainly CD songs that rank up there with the best from the past. Some as good. Some better. You're basically putting up unreleased, over-analyzed material against a catalogue of highly regarded "standards." What do you think this thread is going to turn into? TWAT and Prostitute are some of Axl's finest moments, lyrically or otherwise. I fail to see the cheese factor some others do. Not calling you out, I just don't see it.

Board footer