You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: How does the new material rank against the old?

NY Giants82 wrote:

There are some songs on the UYI's that are better than some on AFD. Some on Lies are better than UYI. Some on CD that are better than Lies. And so on...

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

What war said.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
war wrote:

if cd was released in 87 and appetite this year a lot of you would have differing opinions

Not to me War.  As I've said before, on CD the only songs I never skipped when I listened to the leaks are CD, SR, Catcher, Madagascar and TWAT.  Back in 87 I never skipped an AFD song.  I ain't saying CD ain't a good album.  It's a good record from the 11 songs we've heard thus far.  But you've got some really weak songs on CD.  The 3 remaining unheard tracks could change things.  But CD is different than AFD and in my ears not as good.  But then again I never expected it to be so I ain't disappointed.  CD is a good album and that's all I wanted.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i don't think you understand

back in '87 we were younger and crying out for indentity and something to relate our teenage troubles with

plus....

the band and it's sound has changed so much and you always attach to the first version you hear.

another reason why sequals are never better than the fist installment.

you will never hear an 11 year old say about the new star wars "they're pretty good but the orginal star wars trilogy was better"

but none of us older folks could watch them a billion times like we did the originals.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:

if cd was released in 87 and appetite this year a lot of you would have differing opinions

It's absolutely absurd. CD just isn't good enough and AFD is a masterpiece. I like a lot of artists and sometimes I like their later albums more. Sometimes I think they lost it on the way nad prefer the early works. Sometimes I like some early, some middle and some later stuff, with some terrible albums between the greats.
To tell the truth, I think Axl lost it - not his own talent, although now he makes very bad musical and lyrical moves, the old band wouldn't let happen. Axl lost the guys who wrote that amazing music, and now we're left with others, who aren't as talented as a band as the classic line-up was.
It's not about liking the old band more. I confess that I prefer the AFD and Illusion line-ups. But I totally accepted his industrial change back in 1998-1999. As the time went by and the material surfaced, I was left quite disappointed. Will CD be a bad album? No. Will it be great? No. There's some good stuff and some bad stuff, but not something that would worth more than 2 years of wait. And it took much much more time. CD is not an album to listen years later.

Of course, my opinion is based on the demos we've heard.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

AFD was the first GN'R record (full) that I listened to.

And I didn't attach myself to it all that much. I probably skipped My Michelle & Think About You for a year. But listened to You're Crazy [electric] & Anything Goes.

Now I feel that latter two aren't near as strong, and what in the fuck I was missing with the other two, which are great.

I love all of this GN'R material from beginning to present, but I think war is totally right. Had the coin been flipped, I think alot (not all) would change their tune.

If AFD subtracted You're Crazy [electric] & Anything Goes, and replaced it with Move To The City, Patience, Used To Love Her & You're Crazy [acoustic], it'd = a masterpiece. Just like if the Illusions merged, it'd = a masterpiece.

I don't know yet how CD will shape up. I sure hope I come away from it with that impression. Riad I think is average, but the rest of the songs are EXTREMELY strong imo, and we haven't even heard Scraped, Sorry or This I Love, and I get the feeling Sorry & This I Love will be in "Coma"/"Estranged" territory, and if that's the case, I just might consider CD a masterpiece on it's own.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Neemo, you make valid points. But I think if someone ALREADY isn't a fan of the new band, most likely won't be going into BBY to buy the album anyways.

If OLD GN'R is a soundtrack to your life, that's cool, I think alot of us can relate, I can. But some of the new songs are just as much a soundtrack to some of us, because we've heard them for years in some form or another. When the world is getting me down, for years my mind immediately went into Estranged-mode, but for the last couple years, my mind immediately does to Madagascar. Just this last week, my best friend's wife pulled some MAJOR bullshit with him, and I could think about this weekend was Street of Dreams. It fits that cunt well.

If you can't wrap your mind around someone being able to put new GN'R songs with the old on a 'best of' list, I think it's more of a comment on the fact that at the end of the day - you just don't really think the new stuff is all that great, and you might be fighting it in some way. Me, the role is reversed, at times i'm embarrassed at how much I LOVE the new stuff, because it doesn't seem to be the "cool" or "popular" opinion to have among diehards or casual fans alike.

CD is going to end up splitting the fan world right down the middle imo, if it hasn't already begun. This album's imminent release is unearthing emotions in GN'R fans, where people's true opinions are going to start cropping up.

I think we've already started to enter those "uncharted waters".

well i enjoy a few of these new songs...i think i'm being unfairly labelled as a hater...sure some new songs strike a chord with me... at certain times...and i'm not like some of you guys, i've maybe heard a couple of the songs 10-15 times total ever...im not insane and listen to them everyday 16 19

war wrote:

of course it would be different cuz then CD would be the feelgood music of our youth...not AFD i think we actually agree on something for once war 18 16

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

I agree with Mikkamakka that war's statement is absolutely absurd. It's just as likely that if CD was released in 87 GNR would have never had the impact they did and we wouldn't be sitting here today.

AFD is a timeless classic. It's considered one of *the* essential rock albums to own. CD doesn't hold a candle to it. That's not a knock on CD because it is a good album, but they caught lightning in a bottle with AFD. It wasn't big just because it was released in 87. It was a combination of everything. The perfect record with the perfect attitude at the right time.  CD doesn't have the larger than life songs that AFD contains. I don't think these tunes will make an impact the way the songs from AFD made. I don't think they will be staples on the radio 20 year from now. CD is not going to be considered an essential rock album the way AFD is.

There are too many Axl fans that convinced themselves that this album was a masterpiece and would be just as good as if not better than AFD before they ever heard one note. If people took off the Axl goggles they'd realize this is a good but unspectacular album. It's a nice followup to the Illusions, but it's nothing earth shattering.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:

It's absolutely absurd. CD just isn't good enough and AFD is a masterpiece. I like a lot of artists and sometimes I like their later albums more. Sometimes I think they lost it on the way nad prefer the early works. Sometimes I like some early, some middle and some later stuff, with some terrible albums between the greats.
To tell the truth, I think Axl lost it - not his own talent, although now he makes very bad musical and lyrical moves, the old band wouldn't let happen. Axl lost the guys who wrote that amazing music, and now we're left with others, who aren't as talented as a band as the classic line-up was.
It's not about liking the old band more. I confess that I prefer the AFD and Illusion line-ups. But I totally accepted his industrial change back in 1998-1999. As the time went by and the material surfaced, I was left quite disappointed. Will CD be a bad album? No. Will it be great? No. There's some good stuff and some bad stuff, but not something that would worth more than 2 years of wait. And it took much much more time. CD is not an album to listen years later.

Of course, my opinion is based on the demos we've heard.

Acquiesce wrote:

I agree with Mikkamakka that war's statement is absolutely absurd. It's just as likely that if CD was released in 87 GNR would have never had the impact they did and we wouldn't be sitting here today.

AFD is a timeless classic. It's considered one of *the* essential rock albums to own. CD doesn't hold a candle to it. That's not a knock on CD because it is a good album, but they caught lightning in a bottle with AFD. It wasn't big just because it was released in 87. It was a combination of everything. The perfect record with the perfect attitude at the right time.  CD doesn't have the larger than life songs that AFD contains. I don't think these tunes will make an impact the way the songs from AFD made. I don't think they will be staples on the radio 20 year from now. CD is not going to be considered an essential rock album the way AFD is.

There are too many Axl fans that convinced themselves that this album was a masterpiece and would be just as good as if not better than AFD before they ever heard one note. If people took off the Axl goggles they'd realize this is a good but unspectacular album. It's a nice followup to the Illusions, but it's nothing earth shattering.

you guys think what i said is absurd yet neemo says ofcourse to it?????????

i think you two are consfused about what i posted -

I never said that cd is superior to appetite.

and, ofcourse, there is no guarantee that cd (if it came out in '87) would have made it to the charts since there were no bands out like gnr.

however, when comparing apples to oranges, which is what we are doing, since these albums are completely different from technology to musicians.........................................................................you must consider the fact that you are most likley gonna cherish which ever fruit you eat and enjoy first just like...........................

if you eat green apples all of your childhood and then eat a red one for the first time you will probably say that you like it but the green one will always be the one you think about when you think of apples.

have i made it simple enough to understand yet?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I hear Axl's putting the finishing touches on a purple apple.

It's gonna be bitchin'

Board footer