You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: Best Buy to release GNR's back catalogue on new format

sic. wrote:

Something that just jumped right at me.

With all the work being done to upgrade CD materials these days, it's no wonder Universal/JVC would actually discover a new material that really does something'¦a big something at that! SHM-CD, or Super High Material CD, is an improved version of the Compact Disc material that uses super quality, enhanced transparency polycarbonate material developed for use in LCD screens. They will play in any CD player.

Universal Music Japan and JVC co-developed the SHM-CD. They report that the new material allows the pits to be formed more precisely plus eliminates laser splatter. The signal characteristics are improved as a result with overall lower distortion and better musicality. Universal Japan is reissuing a ton of albums in their catalog in all genres as SHM-CDs and this is the first report of their CDs to reach these shores! - Positive Feedback

Now, as for those BestBuy databases:

Appetite For Destruction (Shm)  Pop 12/3/2008
Gn'R Lies (Shm)  Pop 12/3/2008
Use Your Illusion 1 (Shm)  Pop 12/3/2008
Use Your Illusion 2 (Shm)  Pop 12/3/2008
Spaghetti Incident (Shm)  Pop 12/3/2008

On 12/03/08, BestBuy (if not others) will release the GNR back catalogue stateside in SHM format. That's the day after which CD is supposed to chart for the first time. If I wouldn't know any better, I'd say that's one sneaky way to get some of the more jaded collectors out into the Big Box to upgrade their discs and maybe throw in a bundle offer that includes the new studio album...

Interesting.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The entire GN'R back catalog could seriously use some new, more modern mixing. Not so much on the Illusions, but AFD just sounds kind of flat these days, and considering the fact that much older albums have got re-masters, I think it's shame AFD hasn't received that treatment.

I'm just curious with these SHM-CD's if that actually reflect the sound of a re-master, or are they just cleaning up the original CD.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

No remixing. No remastering. While a higher quality product is one thing, these are pretty much perfect as is. Re-release them all in new vinyl packages like Metallica did with their "trilogy" right before Death Magnetic. This is gimmicky as all hell, but I know I'll be buying them. See, I can admit my faults. I hope they release these in digipaks at the very least, to replicate that old school feel. The jewel case is so played out.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah...i'm interested to know what this means in terms of basic sound quality...like if i buy them again will i hear a noticible improvment? I'm the kinda guy that likes DTS-MA over DD 5.1 so maybe. I agree...AFD is a kickass recording in terms of performance...but you put it on after a more modern record and the age and production of the time shows.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:

AFD is a phenomenal album, but the production has always sucked, even for that day & age.

*edit* one might argue that that's part if it's charm. I would not be that one.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
TheMole wrote:

AFD is a phenomenal album, but the production has always sucked, even for that day & age.

*edit* one might argue that that's part if it's charm. I would not be that one.

i'm one of the ones that loves the rough mixed aspect of it...it adds to the rawness and gives it a rough edgy feel 9

TheMole

TheMole wrote:

Yeah, it kinda does, but sometimes the aggressive hi-hat and overheads really get on my nerves. I would love an AFD album produced ala IFOC, which also has that raw rock&roll quality to it, but without the annoying bits wink

Board footer