You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Re: Appetite for Distraction - the sun article

Slashisvr wrote:
TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

That's a pretty cool picture smile

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

I have to say it. I never thought I'd say this about "The Sun" But...That was a brilliant article

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

can anyone post this artile in the forum.  It's blocked for me.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

IT took 11 years longer than Wembley Stadium and 14 years more than the Empire State Building - but at least it came in slightly quicker than the Great Wall Of China.

Then ... band logo 15 years ago
After 15 years in the making, the title track from GUNS N' ROSES' comeback album Chinese Democracy '” which will be the initial single '” finally had its first radio play yesterday.

And today I can reveal the ridiculous SPINAL TAP-style lengths AXL ROSE and Co have gone to in their search for perfection as they produced the follow-up to 1993 album The Spaghetti Incident?

The legendary rockers '” who have sold 27million copies of their iconic 1987 debut Appetite For Destruction '” have spent an estimated £15million and gone through five producers and a revolving cast of a dozen musicians to complete the epic.

They even spent £200,000 re-recording every individual drum beat and cymbal for the collection after drummer JOHN FREESE, who played on the sessions, quit the band.

Tub thumper BRYAN MANTIA was forced to spend seven months painstakingly replicating the intricate patterns when Freese downed tools in 2000 '” roughly halfway through the extraordinary decade-and-a-half it has taken to put the album together.

And Mantia spent a whopping five years behind his kit for Axl's magnum opus.

This lot make the four years it took to build Wembley look efficient.

Mantia said: 'I think I have the record for how long drums were set up in a studio.

Mine were at the Village Recorders in Los Angeles for five years.

Advertisement

'During that time we've had three different producers '” SEAN BEAVEN, ROY THOMAS BAKER and I guess Axl is the producer now.'

Metal titans Guns N' Roses were the biggest band on the planet in their heyday.

The line-up of singer Axl lead guitarist SLASH, rhythm guitarist IZZY STRADLIN, bassist DUFF McKAGAN and drummer STEVEN ADLER filled stadiums the world over in the late Eighties and early Nineties.

But with the exception of their famous frontman they have all since left the band and been replaced by a rotating cast of 12 new members.

The current line-up includes RON 'BUMBLEFOOT' THAL on lead guitar, RICHARD FORTUS on rhythm guitar, DIZZY REED on keyboards and TOMMY STINSON on bass.

The rockers even worked on the monstrously-delayed Chinese Democracy in suitably grand surroundings.

Mantia explained: 'It was recorded upstairs in an auditorium that used to be a Masonic temple.'

Since The Spaghetti Incident? the group have not issued a full-length studio album.

There is still no official UK release date for this much-awaited follow-up but it is expected to be November 24.

The first proper fruit of their Herculean effort got its worldwide debut yesterday as the album's title track hit radio stations.

It's a mighty slice of thundering, operatic, axe-shredding rock pomp '” much like the old stuff.

Fifteen years well spent then.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

A complete and utter rip-off of this.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
sic. wrote:

Yeah and the way the article is written they seem to insinuate they interviewed Brain specifically for this piece.

Shit journalism at its worst.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:
sic. wrote:

Yeah and the way the article is written they seem to insinuate they interviewed Brain specifically for this piece.

Shit journalism at its worst.

That's the Sun for you - never attributes quotes, but because they're Murdoch's media monolith they get away with it. Fucking scum.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Funny they used the Now and Then pic of Axl, the THEN logo pic is Duff...

Board footer