You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Chinese Democracy Liner Note Discussions *EXTREME SPOILERS*

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah, we're really starting to see that the delays seemed to be more based on personal issues for Axl than any attempt at making "the perfect record". Like you guys pointed out, these vocals are as old as the saga itself.

We get all this information, and it creates more questions than it gives answers.

Other than a few odd and end things, nothing jumps out as being massively different.

This album was done in 2001, if not earlier.

This whole thing just gets more bizarre.

Why not release the album then? Nothing in the musical landscape, especially rock has changed that much. The album would've probably been better received then, especially songs like CD, If The World, & Madagascar, which are very rooted in the late-90's.

Now, even this "new" material, is going to feel dated.

I wonder if Axl actually did redo the vocals over and over so much, that he eventually decided to just keep the original take, lol.

At this point, with everything Geffen/Universal has been put through with this record, he better pull a reunion out of his ass, seems to me if they find out this record was done for that long and he just sat over it like a hen over an egg - "just cause" - they're gonna suuuuueeeeeeee his ASS, if this album doesn't hit and hit big.

cdgnfr
 Rep: 1 

cdgnfr wrote:

These liner notes.
The mistakes with the lyrics are ridiculous.
Better, CD, Street of Dreams just to name a few.

Hopefully this is not the final version

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Its pretty obvious this was just thrown together.  Hell, there's not even a band photo. In a decade they couldn't sit down and take a picture?

The whole thing is just bizarre.

What band? 16

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I'm holding out on hearing all the music until it's relelased, but I'm interested in seeing this, can someone please pm to me?

cdgnfr
 Rep: 1 

cdgnfr wrote:

I read Axl's thank you's.
Nice to see he thanked George Chin....twice. lol

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

its kind of shitty that ron is the only one to thank the fans.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Yeah I noticed that the fans didn't get a mention as well... a little disappointing but not wholly surprising given Axl's alleged hostility towards his long suffering fans.

other things that seem odd - the fact that Axl thanks George Chin twice and Paul thanks Mike Klink (surely this is Mike Clink?)

Street of Dreams lyrics obviously has errors and where is the rest of CD's lyrics?

also, I notice the use of the word 'an' alot in place of 'and' (IRS, TWAT, Scraped to name but a few). At the least I would have thought it would be " an' ", recognising the d is left off - instead it's just plan old 'an' which means something else entirely.

Just reeks of unprofessionalism and surely a release of this magnitude (and with the $$ spent), you'd have thought it would of been a priority to go through this with a fine tooth comb.

Any chance this is a mock-up or first cut of sorts and not the finished product?

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

well if Sorry is about Slash then I would imagine we are still some way off from seeing a reunion

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Its pretty obvious this was just thrown together.  Hell, there's not even a band photo. In a decade they couldn't sit down and take a picture?

The whole thing is just bizarre.

What band? 16

I know you're semi-joking, but in all seriousness, there was a band when 99.9% of this album was recorded. It consisted of...

Axl Rose
Buckethead
Robin Finck
Paul Huge/Tobias
Tommy Stinson
Chris Pitman
Dizzy Reed
Brain

There should have been something giving full acknowledgment to this lineup instead of random live pics and fans just seeing this lineup spread throughout the song credits.

Axl said something very powerful at the HOB 01 show....

I crossed a treacherous sea of horrors to be with you tonight...

That lineup met him halfway through that sea and continued that journey with him. Maybe Axl sees letting them stay on the album and giving a few 'thank you's' is enough acknowledgment, but I see it differently.

I've always been a 2001 lineup nutswinger, but I think people should be willing to call a spade a spade now. These songs are still on the drawing board without that lineup. The additions to the lineup post 2001 could have their material removed and not one song gets deleted and the songs stay the same in structure virtually.

One thing I do like in this booklet is how Axl made sure to have Buckethead on the opposite page from him. A cool gesture and acknowledgment. Its a really good 'fuck you' to his haters over the years.

I agree with the others who say the fuck ups on this are just amateurism at best, carelessness at worst.

Oh, and major props to Ron for thanking the fans on the album. Amazing that out of so many people who walked through the revolving door, you were the only one willing to do that.

Kudos. 5

Saudade
 Rep: 0 

Saudade wrote:

can anyone pm me this? thanks in advance.:)

Board footer