You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: My guitar complaint *spoilers included*

Saikin wrote:

For me, i could have seen IRS, TWAT or The Blues being done after UYI by that band.  Even This I Love screams UYI to me.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh of course. I misstated my opinion earlier in the thread a bit.

It's certaintly an Illusion III in alot of ways, but the 'sound' has taken on other influences. The biggest noticeable different is the loss of the bluesy sound (Slash).

People talk about how much alot of these tracks could be on UYI1 or UYI2, which is not wrong, but they still don't flow with that material. I made a custom mix awhile back with the CD demos mixed with some UYI2 tracks. It was awful. As much as you THINK Street Of Dreams, TWAT, If The World, etc. are UYI3 tracks, they don't work at all on a custom mix with the old material.

CD will be it's own album, just like the Illusion's by the time it's said and done.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Oh of course. I misstated my opinion earlier in the thread a bit.

It's certaintly an Illusion III in alot of ways, but the 'sound' has taken on other influences. The biggest noticeable different is the loss of the bluesy sound (Slash).

People talk about how much alot of these tracks could be on UYI1 or UYI2, which is not wrong, but they still don't flow with that material. I made a custom mix awhile back with the CD demos mixed with some UYI2 tracks. It was awful. As much as you THINK Street Of Dreams, TWAT, If The World, etc. are UYI3 tracks, they don't work at all on a custom mix with the old material.

CD will be it's own album, just like the Illusion's by the time it's said and done.

Well i haven't heard much of Dream Theater, so i can't comment on that part.

I don't think those songs are UYI tracks, but to me, i could see them coming on the album that could have followed up UYI, done by that lineup of GNR. 

You are right about that, the tracks just can't really be thrown in UYI.  But they are ones that could have been written by the old band, and then there would be some big differences and they would work in UYI.  That my opinion.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

This I Love sounds like Barry Manilow on crack.

My brother simply said "Bizarro World"... whatever that means. However, after multiple listens it is really amazing lyrically/vocally (nothing processed on the voice) and gorgeous musically. He starts off with how much he loves this girl and how much she seems like him. Then, he slowly finds out that isn't true and maybe she doesn't care about him as much as he cares about her, then by the end, he just admits it and says " I'll never say goodbye"....in a beautiful vocal outro.

best line and basically the chorus/high point of the epic is....and it is Axl at his best, certainly not Barry Manilow. 14 Although Mandy is a classic...

"So if she's somewhere near me
I hope to God she hears me
There's no one else that could ever make me feel so alive
I hoped she never leave me
Please God you must believe me
I've searched the universe
and found myself within her eyes...." 9

Beltrami and great piano by the redhead....then

"And now I don't know why
She wouldn't say goodbye
it just might be that I had seen it in her eyes
and now it seems that I
gave up my sense of pride;
i'll never say goodbye..."

fuck me....I'm gonna cry.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I wasn't putting down the track with the Barry Manilow comparison. I like Barry. The song just reminds me of those late 70s ballads. I actually haven't listened to it that much. Was hoping for a proper leak before digesting the tracks too much. New song I've listened to the most is Sorry, which is brilliant. That song should have been unveiled on the 2001-02 tour.

Sky Dog wrote:

I know.....and I do like Mandy! TIL and ITW are both straight out of the 70's. The quirky thing about If The World is Finck's industrial riffs that come in periodically. Also, I really think Sorry is about multiple relationships...definitely references to Slash, the fans, and a lady friend.

bucketfan
 Rep: 30 

bucketfan wrote:
madagas wrote:

Once that guy walked in the door, all lead guitar duties should have been handed over to him. You could still give Finck some stuff like on Better, SOD, and the first TWAT solo, but for the most part, Bucket should have been it. 17

My thoughts exactly.  I mean if Finck actually knew how to play I would be ok with it.  WTF was Axl thinking?  'this I love' is going to be one of those tracks that I'll skip over every time.  If Axl wanted a 'bluesy' slightly sloppy feeling in his songs, he should have just handed Fincks parts over to Fortus, who in my opinion is a far, far better guitarist.

Another thing, Rons solos aren't impressing me very much either.  His part in Riyadh sounds worse to me than his Shacklers solo, by quite a large margin.  Axl should have restricted him to rhythm guitar duties on the album.

The inconsistencies in the album regarding lead guitar are going to hurt it imho.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm going to have a ton to post on this topic I suspect after release day...as i'm doing the wait for the CD thing...but i have strong views about every guitarist that's been in GNR it seems...so can't wait to hear it and get into this discussion!

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

^ I'm with you Monkeychow, I'm itching to hear these tunes and throw my 2cents in, but I'm waiting. 17

I'm really curious to hear This I Love in particular and to see how the solo stacks up compared to what others say it needs - i.e. a Slashesque type solo.  Also given the fact this is probably one of the oldest songs and bridges the gap between the old and new band both having worked on it.

Oh well not too many more sleeps to go (I hope I don't die in the meantime).

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Yeah, I've been dying to get in on this meaty topic, but I'm being a good boy. Hearing the good things about Bucket's Sorry solo gives me something to really look forward to.

Board footer