You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: On the Eve of Democracy, Where's Axl?

war wrote:

true

on the other hand, have you heard some of the songs that make it big lately? they aren't big. a month on the radio is a long time for a single nowadays 16

i'd say they have several that can compete with what's on the radio these days as a big single.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
war wrote:

true

on the other hand, have you heard some of the songs that make it big lately? they aren't big. a month on the radio is a long time for a single nowadays 16

i'd say they have several that can compete with what's on the radio these days as a big single.

I disagree. Each of these songs will have a fight on its hands looking for chart position. It doesn't fit with what's currently out there dominating our culture. I think one of these songs might give it a big push at hopefully the right time, but anyone expecting these songs to be in contention on the Top 100 is kidding themselves.

Lets take the fanboy blinders off for a second. All these tracks are what would be known as 'deep album' cuts. In GNR terms, its an album filled with Breakdown, So Fine, and Locomotive type songs. It isn't an AFD type situation with monster singles lying in wait.

When Brain compared it to Zeppelin II, maybe he was referring to how that record needed to be taken in as a whole. What made that a good album was the sum of its parts. It didn't have a Stairway to Heaven or a Kashmir to give it the legendary status. The experience was the record itself, not any cherry picked tracks.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

fanboy blinders were already off
i have a different opinion of what's currently out there dominating our culture

my impression is that everybody has a short attention span these days and the power shifts that exist between genres of music can shift back and forth at completely random points

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

James Lofton wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

I mean, if this "band" couldn't successfully tour North America during to early/mid 00's

This is why they never should have toured in 2001-07 without an album. It continues to lower demand and anticipation. Imagine the album coming out in November, immediately followed by GNR's first tour since 1993. Venues would have sold out in minutes, economic crisis or no economic crisis.

Cant go back in time obviously, but I'm sure even he would admit those "AFD tours with a chinese carrot to please the hardcores' was a big mistake.

It diluted the product.

Best case scenario is the album gets off to a great start sales wise, they release a single that can carry it into early 2009, schedule a tour, and use one of these so called "big guns' as a single to coincide with the tour.

IF there are tour plans, I would save Better for that because its the only song that has a snowball's chance in hell of exploding.

$$$$--that was what those tours were about.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
war wrote:

fanboy blinders were already off
i have a different opinion of what's currently out there dominating our culture

my impression is that everybody has a short attention span these days and the power shifts that exist between genres of music can shift back and forth at completely random points

We also live in the culture of the single. People like to say singles are dead just because they aren't in record stores. They're not. People don't have Kala on their Ipods, they have Paper Planes. They don't have The Slip. They have Discipline.They don't have Good Girl Gone Bad. They have Umbrella.

GNR have never released any music in this environment. CD is practically a guinea pig.

Lets hope that guinea pig doesn't turn into a sacrificial lamb.:laugh:

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

i also think that we have been listening to better, catcher, "the blues" etc for a looong time. I believe that's diminished our capacity to judge the songs properly. As much as i love any song, i end up killing it due to heavy rotation. The first 100 or so times i listened to those songs, i was completely in love with them... now... i'm like..."eh.."
Most people haven't heard any of this shit, and i can honestly say, they may have one of those "kashmir" type songs among them...
Most likely better... i even think rolling stone reviewed the leak a while back..
they said something like... "it tries to be both the poppiest and the heaviest gnr song ever and accomplishes both"

i realize RS are kinda axl nutswingers, but christ... that original set of leaks have been in and out of my playlist regularly for the last 3 years...
so of course i don't feel the same magic i did when i heard it then...

EDIT* On a side note... my 11 year old daughter has better on her ipod..
she listens to the fucking jonas bros,demi lavrto, selina gomez, taylor swift, Tpain, akon and ashley fucking tisdale and she LOVES that song..

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Yes Tyler but maybe thats cause these songs are lacking.

I personally have never gotten tired of Coma or Estranged. I still get a charge out of WTTJ and SCOM. RQ is still my fave Appetite song.

Brownstone isn't old, Its So Easy, Nightrain etc.

U know why? Those songs are COMPLETE

These GNR songs are very fucking unbalanced. The level of talent in the band doesn't come close to equaling the level of talent of Axl therefore you have Axl's parts at 10/10 for the most part whereas the band and the music rarely squeak past 6/10 musically
This I Love will be my example for years to come. you put a great guitar solo on that track and it is a 10/10

The solo instead makes it around an 8.5/10 or so cause it drags it down. NR for instance, that solo you fucking listen to on its own like it is an individual song and every motherfucker in the world can hum that fucking thing.

I remember at work one day, NR came on the radio. 2 hours later, everyone was humming the last solo, not the vocal melodies.

U don't get that much with CD. Axl is great but musically it lacks and that is why I get tired of it.

Prostitute for example. Lyrically,melodically,emotionally it is a masterpiece

For some reason, I just get tired of it cause the music is generic for the most part.

I still think "IF The World" has the best chance of being a smash. It sounds classic.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Lets take the fanboy blinders off for a second. All these tracks are what would be known as 'deep album' cuts. In GNR terms, its an album filled with Breakdown, So Fine, and Locomotive type songs. It isn't an AFD type situation with monster singles lying in wait.

When Brain compared it to Zeppelin II, maybe he was referring to how that record needed to be taken in as a whole. What made that a good album was the sum of its parts. It didn't have a Stairway to Heaven or a Kashmir to give it the legendary status. The experience was the record itself, not any cherry picked tracks.

One of the best assessments of this album's potential I've read so far.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

but therein lies the problem.. gnr is inevitably going to be marketed to mainstream modern rock fans... "if the world" is NOT what they're gonna want... i think it's great, but my taste in music isn't that of a normal person. I agree that anything on AFD or UYI is timeless... i still sing along to every word of coma in my car like i did 16 years ago. but i'm a fanboy.. always have been. a fanboy that is capable of thinking outside of my fan-boy-ness, but a fan boy nonetheless... i'm thinking in terms of someone who's been outta the loop all this time. and while the material doesn't stack up to those two records in MY mind,  some of them have major potential to be big hits in this day and age.... you gotta think, to people other than the hardcore motherfuckers... AFD was perfect at the time for the mainstream... UYI was an ambitious project by a band that was on the verge of being the next Zeppelin/stones/aerosmith.. and CD is being released to an entirely different musical climate.  It'll go platinum on name recognition alone...and while there's no "sweet child" or "november rain" on it... a couple of those songs blow the current top 10 radio songs outta the water.... then again, i confess... i don't really listen to the radio all that much because 95% of what i hear is trash

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

durden, I'd like to go ahead and say that for a "new" poster, I really appreciate the contributions you've made to the discussion that takes place on these boards. I always enjoy reading your posts and look forward to your replies in my own threads. Thanks for jumping right in.

Board footer