You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: On the Eve of Democracy, Where's Axl?

Axlin16 wrote:

I think you guys are underrating the ballads. Granted This I Love isn't going to see airplay, not for Catcher & Street of Dreams also.

But TWAT, and especially Prostitute imo have smash all over them. Like CD, it all boils down to marketing, and i've been shocked the numbers CD has done, considering the fact it was just dropped into radio stations one day.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

thanks, solo... i bet you guys thought i was gonna be one of those "hey! do you guys know where i can find me some leaks?" guys....
and hopefully, i'll be around to post a shit ton of replies in many of your threads to come...cheers

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I think you guys are underrating the ballads. Granted This I Love isn't going to see airplay, not for Catcher & Street of Dreams also.

But TWAT, and especially Prostitute imo have smash all over them. Like CD, it all boils down to marketing, and i've been shocked the numbers CD has done, considering the fact it was just dropped into radio stations one day.

I still think TWAT could be a big hit. If this was the 2002 line up it would have been a perfect lead single. Can you imagine a video with Buckethead's solo outro. I still think Better could be huge.

But I think CD is the perfect first single for this line up, even if it isn't huge. It got people talking and is a nice set up for the next single.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I honestly don't think u can judge too much off of the first single. The Curiosity alone was gonna make it a hit on the radio.
I still don't get the fascination with TWAT.

The lyrics and arrangement are Terrible on that song.

JKL
 Rep: 0 

JKL wrote:

Next question is totally off topic but are there any statistics of how profitable the '06 and '07 tours were? I'm curious because the expenses must've been huge. Eight(?) band members + their entourage on Axl's payroll, most of the venues were small-ish and not sold out and i think they had two sets of performing stages and two roadie teams to assemble them. All these things combined together equals a lot of money.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

you gotta think, to people other than the hardcore motherfuckers... AFD was perfect at the time for the mainstream... UYI was an ambitious project by a band that was on the verge of being the next Zeppelin/stones/aerosmith.. and CD is being released to an entirely different musical climate.

I agree with a lot of your post(s), but now I disagree. AFD was against everything that was popular in the mid-late 80s. GN'R was the out-of-glam rock band, which didn't sing about being a cowboy and ride a Harley, going to a drive-in movie with your girlfriend etc. It was heavy, really heavy, both musically and lyrically. It wasn't Unskinny Bop, it was Welcome to the fuckin' Jungle and they changed the whole landscape, while none of them, including managers and company bosses, thought it would be successful.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I agree with a lot of your post(s), but now I disagree. AFD was against everything that was popular in the mid-late 80s. GN'R was the out-of-glam rock band, which didn't sing about being a cowboy and ride a Harley, going to a drive-in movie with your girlfriend etc. It was heavy, really heavy, both musically and lyrically. It wasn't Unskinny Bop, it was Welcome to the fuckin' Jungle and they changed the whole landscape, while none of them, including managers and company bosses, thought it would be successful.

Appetite for Destruction was the bridge between hair metal and what became known as grunge. I hope the irony of the excess of the UYI era isn't lost on Axl.

Grunge doesn't happen without Appetite for Destruction as its conduit.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
madagas wrote:
Brett wrote:

I just thought of 10 things I could type in here, started on the first and cleared the reply box.

The answer to this is there are a million things Axl's crazy ass could be doing this for and few make a lick of sense. Bottom line is the ball is dropped again, as it always is. The only redeeming factor is if Axl himself is embarrassed of the Chinese Democracy process and just wants it off his head to go on and make a new record in a proper time frame.

To me, Axl's legacy dies more and more every day. He did great things in the rock world for 6 years... need a little more than that, though.

instead of typing 10 things, how about typing N0THING ever again....go away and listen to something else. 10

You sleep at the foot of Uncie Axl's bed in la-la land?

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Grunge doesn't happen without Appetite for Destruction as its conduit.

I gotta disagree with this statement.

Bands that are truly responsible for the Seattle grunge movement, were already formed and producing records by the time Appetite was a hit...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

GNR was the first Grunge band.

Board footer