You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chinese Democracy official reviews thread

James wrote:

Yeah, considering they only listened to it once, that's a pretty solid review.

while Rose oversings lines about "stardust on my feet" in a voice that would make an X Factor auditionee cringe.

In other words, none of the vocals were reworked.

And, for all of its ambitious bombast, there's no disguising the fact that There Was A Time veers dangerously close to becoming Bon Jovi's Blaze Of Glory.

Too often, guitar lines sound like technical exercises - fingers running up and down the fretboard at the expense of melody.

And when several songs plump for "na na na" backing vocals, you find yourself wondering why no-one had time to finish off the lyrics.

Valid points, and this will be brought up in many reviews.

That Classic Rock review is pretty damn good, although they obviously made a minor error by referring to I.R.S. as a ballad. The sentence was probably meant for the following track, Madagascar.

Sky Dog wrote:

he's going to get hit by the media just like he gets hit by the fans....we say the same things so you know what the criticisms will be and you know what the praises will be. We have already dissected this thing, in every minute detail, a thousand times. The Blues vocals sound pretty much the same as do Maddy's. It looks like the main tinkering was done to guitar and drums obviously. All the tracks seem beefed up a bit...which I like.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

These reviews seem quite fair overall, they ask some reasonable questions of it.

That old saying "too many cooks spoil the broth" keeps springing to mind.

Some people are claiming these reviewers have an agenda, but I dont think thats the case at all, it seems to me they want to like it rather than the opposite way around.

Its a really good album but there are some things that are quite off putting.
The running theme of self pity, it may be honest but can become a little wearisome.
The many, many layers on some songs, it reeks of trying just a bit to hard to make the song sound grander.
Guitar solos such as Rons really are an aquired taste, I really cant dig them at all yet.
Catcher In The Rye, can I comment on that here? Axls vocals drift through the song in a sweet little world of their own, whilst an ugly clashing din of guitars rumbles on in the backround. It just doesnt work anymore, hence negative reviews of it.
(That song could have been to Axl what "Imagine" was to John Lennon but alas 17)

Not to mention the timescale it took for this to be released.

If we, the fans, have so many conflicting opinions on whats hot and whats not, it will be a tall order to get a review from a credible source thats not going to be a very mixed review.
It sounds like they like most of the songs, but there are a few on there that they dont. Thats fair enough and sounds plenty impartial to me.

If Classic Rock and the BBC are not fawning over it then batten down the hatches for some really negative reviews from the true haters out there.

It seems the old faithful of Chinese Democracy, Better, IRS, Madagascar and even Riad are carrying this album so far, unsuprising as they are very good. Prostitute Sorry and This I Love dont seem to be getting the reception that some fans crave.

Sky Dog wrote:
war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

the mojo review is as fair as they come.

example:

6. There Was A Time
Almost 7 minutes long, this is one of Chinese Democracy's defining moments. "It was a bargain for the summer,” rues Axl, “And I thought I had it all". Phalanxes of guitars engage in panoramic battle with a gloriously histrionic vocal – he’s lost none of his power, or he hadn’t at whatever point in the last 14 years he recorded this – before it signs off with a burst of an unnecessarily digitised choir.

some of these digital add-ons spur negativity but he was still able to acknowledge the song's fine points along with the lows.

unfortunately, there are critics out there that, when talking about the same thing, will simply call the song overproduced and nothing else.

5 seconds at the end of the song doesn't make or break the song.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

what i think adds to the aura of this album is the unbelievable dichotomy amongst the songs. every song seems to have a critic that applauds it, while another critic that trashes it. meanwhile, the same critic that trashed that song raves about another, while the critic that loved the first song is disgusted by the second.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

flash flood - check your inbox

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Of all the songs, im most disappointed in  Catcher,, and what it LOST.
you can say all you like  about how it flows and shit, i happen to think its lost its way.  I`ll be keepin the demos thanks..

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm shocked Street of Dreams, seems to be getting raped everywhere.

I mean, I love the song, and I expected people to not see it as anymore than a "So Fine" (a B-side basically), but alot are ripping it to shreds, especially the vocals.

And like Madagas said, alot of it is totally mixed reactions, just like the fans. Different people, like different songs.

Maybe that's what Axl intended all along.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

This site has some South American Reviews posted:

http://www.gunnersbrasil.com/

Translations anyone?

Board footer