You are not logged in. Please register or login.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Re: Songs you'd showcase to people in an attempt to get them to listen

Hey Bono, I have played these songs (particularly the original 6, not so much ITW, Rhiad and Prostitute) to a lot of different people, at parties, in the car, just hanging out, in their demo form.  Better, TWAT and The Blues all got positive reactions from nearly everyone.  I know you dislike two of those songs but most people who are just casual fans or indifferent to GNR in general really seem to like them from my experience

There's no doubt that metal meatheads and kids that like shit like Slipknot and Disturbed might think that SOD is corny.  I really don't see how anyone who is a fan of old GnR, if they like songs like November Rain or SCOM could think it's corny but that's just me.  Lyrically it's much better than SCOM and it's no more melodramatic than NR, and it's not even close to as cheesy as Don't Cry (at least with the original lyrics), so whatever.  People like songs like that, because they can relate to them

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Bono wrote:

I honestly think alot of you are in for a reality check when the average Joe hears Street of Dreams.  People are gonna think that song sucks. If I'm wrong I'll change my username to Bono Jr

I'll remember that...so will we just call you "jr" for short?? cool

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Well from my experience everyone seems to laugh at Street of Dreams. Mostly at Axl's wimp voice. That song is cringe worthy in my opinion.  Lyrically  the part "I don't know just what I should do, everywhere I go I see you" is reason enough to have left the song off the album. It's a ballad with a  piano in it. Other than that it's nothing like NR or even remotley clsoe to SCOM. I've never understood people on these forums corelation between the 3.  I've also had more than two eyes rolled at me when I've played TWAT for people. Now as for the new songs. Sorry, This I Love and Prostitue have all gone over really well with my brother who isn't a diehard by anymeans yet most the other stuff has been shrugged off by him as lame. Oh except for Better which he has liked.  I guess we'll find out though. 

I'll be right  Gunslinger and nobody will need to call me Jr.  16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Better
TWAT
Sorry
Madagascar
This I Love
Prostitute

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Bono wrote:

Other than that it's nothing like NR or even remotley clsoe to SCOM. I've never understood people on these forums corelation between the 3.

ok allow me to explain.

street of dreams is like scom because it is mid tempo, poppy lyrics, and goosebump-inducing outro

street of dreams is like november rain because it has a pretty piano piece, poppy lyrics, and, again a great outro. is the outro november rain good? no, but it is really good.

in short, it is a pretty, fun, poppy song. guess what...thats what the general public likes.

Bono

Bono wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

ok allow me to explain.

street of dreams is like scom because it is mid tempo, poppy lyrics, and goosebump-inducing outro

street of dreams is like november rain because it has a pretty piano piece, poppy lyrics, and, again a great outro. is the outro november rain good? no, but it is really good.

in short, it is a pretty, fun, poppy song. guess what...thats what the general public likes.

I sense someone getting a bit defensive here. In my opinion they are nothing alike. Two are absolutely amazing classic songs, one sucks real bad in my opinion. SCOM is mid tempo but it doesn't come off as wimpy or cheesy. November Rain is nothing short of brilliant.  Not once does that song come off as a chesey soundtrack  to a romantic comedy from the 70's.  There is no comparison to be made with these three songs.  A more appropriate comparison would be to So Fine.

shotgunblues1978

Bono wrote:

Well from my experience everyone seems to laugh at Street of Dreams. Mostly at Axl's wimp voice. That song is cringe worthy in my opinion.  Lyrically  the part "I don't know just what I should do, everywhere I go I see you" is reason enough to have left the song off the album. It's a ballad with a  piano in it. Other than that it's nothing like NR or even remotley clsoe to SCOM. I've never understood people on these forums corelation between the 3.  I've also had more than two eyes rolled at me when I've played TWAT for people. Now as for the new songs. Sorry, This I Love and Prostitue have all gone over really well with my brother who isn't a diehard by anymeans yet most the other stuff has been shrugged off by him as lame. Oh except for Better which he has liked.  I guess we'll find out though.

The comparisons to NR are pretty obvious even though The Blues is not nearly as epic in scope

The comparisons to SCOM come from people like me, who can not understand why certain portions of the GNR fanbase are so quick to call The Blues cheesy, yet love NR, SCOM and Don't Cry, when NR is equally melodramatic, and SCOM and Don't Cry both have much cheesier lyrics.  They're compared because they're all love songs in some respect.  I can understand if people don't like The Blues.  I just hope that they same people who call the lyrics cheesy at least think that Don't Cry and SCOM are cheesy because on a strictly lyrical level The Blues is much better than either of those songs

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

CD, Better, IRS, and recently If the World.

Bono

Bono wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:

because on a strictly lyrical level The Blues is much better than either of those songs

No man that's called opinion. And my basis for it's cheesiness are the melody, the music, the sound of it, Axl's wimpy, voice. The lyrics aren't all that bad but they are pretty damn cheesey at points:

So now I wander through my days
Trying to find my ways
To the feelings that I felt
I saved for you and no one else

And though as long as this road seems
I know its called the street of dreams
But that's not stardust on my feet
It leaves a taste that's bittersweet
That's called the blues

I don't know just what I should do
Everywhere I go I see you
You know it's what you planned, this much is true
What I thought was beautiful, don't live inside of you anymore X 2

Seriously? Much better than SCOM and November Rain? I don't think so. It's not lyrical genius and if the music sounds cheesy to someone than the song is ruined.  I never said songs like NR or DC or SCOM are genius on a lyrical level, but those songs don't sound lame musically. That's my opinion.

shotgunblues1978

I didn't say it was much better than NR, because NR is better lyrically to me

But Sweet Child and Don't Cry Original are to me the cheesiest lyrics that Axl has written (Don't Cry Alternate has pretty good lyrics IMO) .  I really like both songs, both are great musically, vocally, and the vocal melodies are outstanding, but they lyrics are cheesy although I think the nostalgia factor glosses this over for some people

I think The Blues and NR have, in the context of love ballads, very good lyrics.  Both are really melodramatic but they are genuine.  Neither is close on a lyrical level to Estranged and Locomotive but that's for another thread

Board footer