You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Re: Fans Embrace Democracy

Von wrote:

For Mark Silverman of Milford, it was a day he's been thinking about for more than a decade. A Guns N' Roses fan for as long as he can remember, Silver left Best Buy Sunday with five copies of the band's just-released "Chinese Democracy" on CD and one vinyl copy.

"I've been waiting for 15 years," he said while standing in front of a display with hundreds of GNR CDs and LPs. "I'm buying a couple for co-workers and keeping the record and a couple CDs for myself. After all this time, I want to (bump up the sales) numbers for the band."

Guns N' Roses last released an album of original music in September 1991, during the first Bush administration. A lot has changed in the world since, but if this retailer is any indication, the band still has plenty of fans. "Chinese Democracy" has been rumored for release for the last eight years, yet the disc finally hit stores Sunday, but only Best Buy. The band has an exclusive arrangement with the retailer. The album's release has become so mythical that soft drink brand Dr. Pepper announced in March that it would give every person in America a free can of cola if the album came out in 2008.

Around Best Buy, signs advertising the release called the disc "music's most anticipated album ever." The store anticipated brisk sales for the work, not just today but throughout the holiday season.

"We've already almost sold out of the LPs," said General Manager James Diaz of Meriden. "We have thousands of copies in stock and we expect a ton of sales, especially with Black Friday coming."

"Chinese Democracy" was being sold Sunday for $11.99 on CD, and $19.99 for the two-record LP, which also includes a code to download the music for free. Many customers didn't know about the vinyl release, and had to make a decision when arriving at the store.

"I've been waiting for Axl to come back with this forever," said Bill Scaife of Ansonia while holding both the CD and the vinyl. "From what I've heard of it online, it's completely different in a good way. It's good enough for me to buy two copies, I hope."

Scaife was just one of many leaving the store with multiple copies of "Chinese Democracy," which features no original GNR members except for singer/pianist Axl Rose. The album is rumored to cost more than $13 million to produce, so brisk sales like the ones Sunday will certainly be welcome by the band's label, Geffen.

"I never thought it would come out," said Pedro Navarro of West Haven. "It's been 15 years. I had to come and get it today, man. I can't wait to listen to it."

Over the years, much of the album has leaked online. Many fans purchasing the album Sunday have heard nine of the 14 tracks already. Plus, the band started streaming "Chinese Democracy" on its MySpace page Thursday.

"So far it sounds good," said Andrew Wood of Darien, who first went to other stores Sunday morning to purchase the album without realizing it was only to be sold at the one retailer. "I've listened to the old demos and stuff, and I like it. But I hope it's good. After all this time, it'd kind of stink if the album wasn't good."

-New Haven Register-

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Remember all those Velvet Revolver fans that bought several copies of Contraband the same day, and had the anticipation of how great that album was going to be?

Oh yeah that's right - there weren't any. Love Ax xoxoxoxo G n' F'n' R's 2008!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

vr didn't need false inflation of sales 16

the curiosity factor for VR was what shot Contraband through the roof...also dont forget that vr won a grammy or two...axl has never won one

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I really like contraband....not as good as GNR cos I prefer Axl's style of singing...but there's some cool guitar parts on that album. There were people who bought all 3 styles of the contraband cover too...i knew a couple of them at the time. Anyway....why does everything have to be like Axl vs Slash....

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Anyway....why does everything have to be like Axl vs Slash....

no shit, and its always the ones who claim they are sick of hearing the argument who bring it up...

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Awards are for sell outs. The Sex Pistols saw this, Axl does too.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Awards are for sell outs. The Sex Pistols saw this, Axl does too.

i'm gonna remember this if gnr wins an award for cd and i see you post something positive about it 16

and gnr was made to sell out...you dont go 18 times platinum with one album and 5 times platinum twice on other albums cuz you are underground tongue

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It only counts if AXL shows up to accept.

Board footer