You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: For the record.....

Bono wrote:

For the record I have not contributed to the album sales.  I felt pretty bummed yesterday knowing the album was out and I wasn't excited to go get it. In fact I wasn't even going to get it.  I mean up untill roughly a year and a half ago I had planne don taking the day off work if need be to buy this on release day. We all know my feelings changed in late 2006 - early 2007. So yesterday I just stayed home and watched football. Seemed like every third commercial was a Best Buy commercial advertising Chinese Democracy. My brother asked me if I was seriously not going to buy it. He knows my fandom and what this day had ment to me right up untill 1 1/2 years ago and I think maybe even he was bummed for me. 16  Anyways today I cracked.  We hit the mall today on our lunch break and I went into the HMV. It was like a tractor beam pulling me in. I went straight to the new release section, grabbed CD and looked at it. I shit you not it was a very strange weight lifted off my shoulders. There it was. 15 years of waiting, wondering, hoping and there it was. Actually in my hands. The damn thing existed. All those years of telling my freinds that it would come out justified in that single moment.   Don't get all excited yet. I'm not done.

What happend next was pretty cool. I no longer had any feelings one way or another about going to pick up this album. I simply put it back on the shelf, walked over to the "K" section and grabbed Kings of Leon's 2003 debut album.  That's the album I bought today. I walked into a music store that had Chinese Democracy on the shelf and walked out without the album in my hands and I actually felt good about it.  I felt good that the album existed, I felt good that an entire chapter has been closed, and I felt good that I was able to deal with it all on my terms. I knew I didn't want to buy it but wan't sure if I'd be able to stick to it. Wasn't sure if the lure of the album would be too much.  Once I actually saw it and had it in my hands it was surprisingly so much easier to just not buy it than I thought it would be. It was like any dissapointment over the whole thing was lifted off my shoulders.   

Now on to the next chapter......

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

How did your feelings change in late 2006/2007 ?

I haven't bought it yet either.  I respect those that did and enjoy it, but I am voting with my money because I'm not enjoying this era all that much.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm not gonna lie.....I almost didn't buy it. I already had the album obviously, and the liner notes are literally a joke. Whole thing has been very anticlimactic, and I really didn't want to reward such an amateurish release. However, I do want this album to do well and I think Axl deserves the support simply for releasing it and getting the monkey off his back.

Wasn't really wanting to rush out and get it, but it needs as many first week sales as it can get so I bought it Sunday.

While the album didn't blow my mind, it sure is strange actually having it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

What is wrong with you guys? Are you fans?

I never once thought different. I never hesistated. I've been waiting for this day the last decade almost.

I was fucking there baby.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm not sure I can understand where you are comming from Bono.

I don't mean that insultingly or anything, just I can't relate. And what i'm about to say I don't want to sound like one of jarmos "like the band or fuck off you're not a fan" rants as it's not like that....

But what i wonder is how you can be interested enough to come on here and post all the time, and follow this shit for 15 years, and then hold the actual album we've waited for it your hands then walk away?

Is it because you like the old GNR and don't like the new era? Did the leaks spoil the wait for you?

I can undertsand that some fans are extatic and love the new music, I can understand that some people hate the new line up and hate the music. I guess what i don't understand is that you just seem apethetic either way - and If you don't care either way - why do you come here and post? (Although I'm very glad you do as I always enjoy your posts.). I'm just trying to understand how you are feeling dude. To be honest I feel almost sorry reading that post - it seems kinda a sad story to me - like you waited for something for 15 years then don't care when it finally happens. Anyway...hope this hasn't offended you!

Bono

Bono wrote:

Skippy I supported this new era big time right up untill the whole "12 Tuesdays left" bullshit in 2006. It became really clear to me then that they were actually fucking with their fans. Touring under a  false promise of the album coming out that year.  Tommy's comments "Get on board or fuck off" were disgusting. Axl's lame ass letter in December 2006, blaming everyone else,  promising updates as they happen and giving a tentaive release date for March. Once that date came and went in March 2007 without any word from Axl or the band I thought fuck it. I'm not buying this album. Too many excuses, too much distain and disregard for the fans. I let the whole Vancouver thing slide(I was there, cost me upwards of $400 to get there) and the Philly thing but looking back that was brutal for them to handle that shit the way they did. Then all the lame cancellations in 2006.  In my eyes it almost became an us vs them attitude from Axl and co. Band vs fans.  There seemed to be no appreciation whatsoever from the captain of the ship and I just thought why should I support this? I respect others descision to buy it for sure  and even if they don't respect mine not to buy it I'd at least think people could see where I'm coming from.

James I agree it was pretty odd holding the mythical album in my hands today.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It has nothing to do with how much of a fan I am. How many copies I buy(or don't buy) isn't the litmus test on whether or not you like an artist/band more than the next person. Are these people who claim to have bought 25 copies(we both know they're full of shit) more of a fan than I am for buying one copy? I don't think so.

My only reluctance was the album's presentation. When they are too lazy to get their own lyrics correct its a sign they put little thought into it. Apparently the LP(which I haven't bought yet) is an even bigger joke.

So I bought one copy just to have that feeling of actually owning it and to help first week sales.

Would I be a bigger fan if I didn't buy it but lied and said I bought 50 copies? 16

Sky Dog wrote:

therapy.........

Bono

Bono wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm not sure I can understand where you are comming from Bono.

I don't mean that insultingly or anything, just I can't relate. And what i'm about to say I don't want to sound like one of jarmos "like the band or fuck off you're not a fan" rants as it's not like that....

But what i wonder is how you can be interested enough to come on here and post all the time, and follow this shit for 15 years, and then hold the actual album we've waited for it your hands then walk away?

Is it because you like the old GNR and don't like the new era? Did the leaks spoil the wait for you?

I can undertsand that some fans are extatic and love the new music, I can understand that some people hate the new line up and hate the music. I guess what i don't understand is that you just seem apethetic either way - and If you don't care either way - why do you come here and post? (Although I'm very glad you do as I always enjoy your posts.). I'm just trying to understand how you are feeling dude. To be honest I feel almost sorry reading that post - it seems kinda a sad story to me - like you waited for something for 15 years then don't care when it finally happens. Anyway...hope this hasn't offended you!

Nah dude it's cool. I get that. It is sad.  Back in the day I wanted this thing so badly. The reason I've hung on and kept coming back to the boards is like.... well let me put it this way. It's like a bad break up.  It was so amazing at first then things went sour. The  good times though were so amazing that letting go takes sometimes alot longer than you'd like. I mean I waited anxiously for 12 1/2 years and in the last year and a half things went sour for me. I started to hate wearing my Gn'R shirts and bragiging them up caue from my perspective it was so not appreciated. It's like the fans were pawns. use us when they need us, flip us off when they don't.  Maybe I'm spoiled by the other bands I like and how they go more than the extra mile for their fans. I don't know but something about the way it all went down in 2006 really rubbed me the wrong way.  But I did keep coming back. I started waiting outta curiosity rather than for the love of it. You know that feeling when you don't wanna see that certain person anymore but you just can't help but know what she's up to? Hopefully that makes a little sense.

Axlin08 wrote:

I never once thought different. I never hesistated. I've been waiting for this day the last decade almost.

I was fucking there baby.

Good for you. I was there the day of release in 1991 too.  I was there in 1993 for my first live show ever.  I have all the cd's I have the vinyl, all the cassettes still in the plastic, I have half a dozen t-shirts, the making of VHS, all the dvd's, bootleg dvd's, I've got hotwheels Gn'R toys, I was there in the store the day End of Days was released, I was there in Vancouver in 2002, I flew to NY in 2006 for the Hammerstien shows, I was Axl Rose for Halloween in 2004 and 2006,  I saw them twice in Decmeber 2006. I've been trying to show the CD era music to friends for the last 7 years to a common response of eyes being rolled at me. I could see how you might think I'm not a real fan. That's your problem not mine.  You've been waiting almost a  decade?  Congratulations. That's real impressive.

Bono

Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

therapy.........

yeah maybe actually holding the disc was thearpy. Take your condescending attitude and shove it Madagas.

Board footer