You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

Re: CD Production

dr_love6977 wrote:

As some of you may know, I went to school for audio engineering. With an engineer's ear, I have picked out some shitty production moves on this album, and a lot of you (even without a trained ear) have picked out a lot of the same shit. After imbibing many beers yesterday, as well as some 50 year old Canadian Club, I've decided that bitching about the production is pretty petty. The cut and paste drums in 'Better' are not what we're supposed to be putting our magnifying glasses over. We (the fans) should be more focused on lyrical content, songwriting, etc. Not shit that happened in post. Besides, for every instance of crappy production on this album, there are 5 instances of really cool productions. As we've been discussing, there are so many cool, almost buried bits of musicianship going on, that even though they're not obvious, the songs wouldn't be the same without them. Listen all the way through with a nice pair of noise-cancelling headphones on.. you'll be shocked at what you can pick out.

Besides, shitty production on GnR recordings has been going on since day one. Even the twin opus albums are riddled with that stupid, "kazoo" tone that some of Slash's parts ended up of having. I'll take repetitive drums over shitty guitar tone any day.

Prost! 5

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I have to readjust the bass in my car and home stereo.. This CD is very bass heavy.  I also hate the static that is intentional.  Its terrible.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, I've been one of the most vocal regarding this subject. It was the first thing I noticed while listening to it.

Its a pretty good album and I guess that's all that really matters.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Yesterday my cd player shuffled on to the next disc in my stereo, it was the new Amon Amarth album and that blew Chinese Democracy clear out of the water. The production is exceptional, I couldnt get over how loud and crystal clear the drums and all the gutars were, not to mention the roaring vocals.

Listen to the second half a Catcher In The Rye, thats a joke, the levels are all over the place. I have to block out Axl to try focus on the drums.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Then again...listen to Death Magnetic if you want to hear how bad production can mess up good songs...at least CD doesn't suffer from the 'loudness wars' where they increase the volume to the point where it clips.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I was actually very happy Axl recognized this with CD's production.

In the past many years, rock albums, which suffer the most, have been mixed WAY too loud, and actually distort the mix, and ruin the song.

Thankfully CD is RIGHT there at the top. The point where it's loud and boasting, but not too loud.

Board footer