You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Predictions: 1st week U.S. sales will be...

Sky Dog wrote:

not looking good boys and girls, I would have thought 500,000 to 600,000. 18:nervous::ummm:

KANYE CAUSES HEARTBREAK FOR CHALLENGERS

West’s New Album Will Approach 500k, as Guns (300k), Ludacris (225k) and The Killers (200k) All Trail

November 26, 2008

Kanye’s the king of Thanksgiving week.
West's Roc-a-Fella/Def Jam album, 808s and Heartbreak, in which he tackles the Auto-Tuner and his own inner demons, will be #1 on next Tuesday’s chart with a total that looks to be between 450-500k.

That’ll be more than enough to beat back Axl Rose and his first Guns N’ Roses album in some 15 years, Chinese Democracy, which will move around 300k, more or less, out of Best Buy outlets. And that’s including the 25k or so not counted opening week at iTunes for the Sunday release.

Ludacris’ Island Def Jam album, Theater of the Mind, looks good for 225k, followed by the other one of IDJ’s big holiday power trio, The

Killers’ Day and Age, clocking in with 200k more or less.

Finally, what would the turkey shoot be without Barry Manilow? The "Copacabana" guy scores 85k for his new Arista/RMG album, The Greatest Songs of the Eighties, thanks to huge QVC sales.

Coldplay’s Prospekt’s March EP on Capitol will chalk up between 75-80k, while Capitol Nashville’s Trace Adkins appears headed for the 40-45k area for his new album, X.

After some Monday confusion over release dates (all three major circulars advertised the IDJ albums coming on Tuesday), the numbers seem back to normal.

Meanwhile, the market was up 6% vs. last week, down 32% vs. same week last year and now down 14% year to date. Feels like a tryptophan hangover even before the turkey is served.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

If GN'R would've made the album available everywhere, and not just Best Buy...

We now know it would at least tied Kanye, if not slightly beat him.

HiredGunz98
 Rep: 1 

HiredGunz98 wrote:

every GnR fan needs to buy 3 copies of Chinese Democracy starting today and I think we can take Kanye out of the estimated top spot

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I think the stunning info is that 225k people bought Ludacris album.

WTF?

I thought that dude hadn't been relevant since like 2001.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Since it's a Best Buy only, it can do relatively good on the second and third week, too, since not everybody can go to a BB in a few days. It will not top the list, though, but I think the first spot is overestimated. The final numbers will matter, although I'm getting unsure if CD will sell a million in the US.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

WTF?

Be careful mate, a lot of people think the same about some other bands with an even more ancient date. 16

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
HiredGunz98 wrote:

every GnR fan needs to buy 3 copies of Chinese Democracy starting today and I think we can take Kanye out of the estimated top spot

Not this stupid shit again...people might waste their time voting multiple times for the singles, but most of the people that were going to buy multiple copies already did so.  Sorry to burst your bubble.

What's the latest on CD and Better as singles?  I haven't heard anyone glaoting about it recently, so I'm going to go with not good.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

WTF?

Be careful mate, a lot of people think the same about some other bands with an even more ancient date. 16

Yeah I know I was treading dangerous territory with that statement, but GN'R have remained popular since 1991-93 even if it is the same songs repeated.

I really thought Luda was out of the Loopa. I mean I thought that guy was Ja Rule territory.

I didn't know that many people still had interest.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

not looking good boys and girls, I would have thought 500,000 to 600,000. 18:nervous::ummm:

KANYE CAUSES HEARTBREAK FOR CHALLENGERS

West’s New Album Will Approach 500k, as Guns (300k), Ludacris (225k) and The Killers (200k) All Trail

Considering all the hype for this record and the fact it was released under the GNR name, that is pretty troubling for the GNR camp. I realize we're in an era where album sales aren't near what they used to be, but it should have been higher and this shows Axl that the GNR name doesn't pull as much weight as it used to.

300k is more than my initial prediction, but they cant be too happy about this.

A Barry Manilow hits album sold almost a third of what Chinese Democracy is expected to sell.

Not this stupid shit again...people might waste their time voting multiple times for the singles, but most of the people that were going to buy multiple copies already did so.  Sorry to burst your bubble.

I agree with you on that point, but let's not refer to peoples posts as "stupid shit". He isn't trolling so there's no need to take such a harsh tone. He just wants the album to succeed. Like you said though, the multiple copy buyers are already done buying, and its time for Joe Public to be the deciding factor.

What's the latest on CD and Better as singles?  I haven't heard anyone glaoting about it recently, so I'm going to go with not good.

Yeah the silence at all these sites regarding the album's catchiest track speaks volumes about its chart position without even needing to look at the charts.

Board footer