You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Predictions: 1st week U.S. sales will be...

war wrote:

that's sweet but i think people are expecting mainstream success on top of that

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

When a washed up AC/DC sells 748,000 and Metallica does around 600,000 (very very similar acts to Gnr in terms of stature), 300k from Gnr is NOT good. It tells you the brand can't overcome the damage that has been done by the breakup of the original band....even I will admit that.

Excellent point, and I'm glad you're willing to admit it because the writing is clearly on the wall. The album certainly cant be written off as a failure like you see on some of these sites, but its crystal clear that the name is no longer THE marquee draw that it used to be. This will be the last 'expensive' album he gets to record because no record company is going to offer him huge advances.

For his sake, all this 'trilogy already finished' talk better be true.

When people saw the half empty arenas and canceled dates due to no one buying tickets, the excuse was always "just wait until the album's out. They'll be on top of the world selling out stadiums". Well, now we know those half empty arenas WERE the true gauge of public interest in new GNR. The album just reinforces that point. Like you said, when Metallica outsells it two to one, you pretty much know the direction this is going. Only sites this album gets any mention at is GNR sites. Metallica(and AC/DC) were being talked about everywhere.

Its a solid album. Just because its not selling like other mainstream acts doesn't mean the album sucks. However, like I have mentioned several times, this album is full of what I call deep album cuts(in GNR terms, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up, One in a Million, Don't Damn Me,etc.) and doesn't have any monster singles to grab the world by the balls(Jungle, SCOM, PC, Patience,etc.).

That fact is going to affect sales. While U2 is the biggest band on the planet and can sell no matter what the circumstances, can you imagine 'Atomic Bomb' being released without Vertigo?? Chinese Democracy is literally that album without Vertigo.

On the flip side, if this thing tanks, maybe Axl will dump all the remaining material in to a box set special edition for the hard cores and call it a day with the remnants of the "new" Gnr. We'll know what's gonna happen by the end of the year.

Excellent point, and will most likely happen. Other artists do this same thing. M.I.A.'s album was starting to disappear from the radar after the Paper Planes craze ended, and she re-released Kala with a bonus disc and it went back on the charts.

CD will most definitely get a re-release to entice more sales. Unload this album with a bonus disc in early-mid 09, and possibly a third of the people who bought it opening week will buy it again.

the hype is not as relevant as we expected when the masses don't follow current news/events like us old timers do.

Are you joking? The only thing the masses do IS follow current events.

Anybody else think it might be time for GNR to stop posting MySpace bulletins claiming they are going to "dominate the charts" and that no artist from any other genre is safe?

You know, I was going to send out every GNR bulletin on our Evo myspace page. Had been doing it in regards to the release date when it first happened(also send out bulletins for Ron's solo work), but the recent bulletins were just too childish for me to send out. Its like they were written by some kid about to cream his pants because the album was out. Yesterday's bulletin begging people to post about the album on forums was ridiculous.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

it hasnt even been a week yet though...we need to be patient to see what the market is like before we claim doom and gloom...and yeah some markets will be hotter than others...the fact that Itune sales seems to be going well is a good sign, unfortunately physical sales figures arent as instant as digital sales figures

war

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

13 year olds follow current events?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I just get an overwhelming feeling, in ten years, we will be looking back on this with a reunited old GN'R, which has been reunited for awhile, and the legacy of Chinese Democracy will be the 'underrated' album of the catalog. The 'under appreciated gem' of the catalog.

It'll be the 'Motley Crue self-titled' of their catalog.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

13 year olds follow current events?

Yeah, which is why Kanye West, Hanna Montana,etc. are all over the charts.

Just like how in 1988 GNR, Van Halen, Poison, Paula Abdul,etc. were all over the charts.

This album has run out of excuses.

before we claim doom and gloom.

I'm not claiming doom and gloom. We're finally seeing the reality of this, and you're gonna see reactions to it.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

before we claim doom and gloom.

I'm not claiming doom and gloom. We're finally seeing the reality of this, and you're gonna see reactions to it.

no and thats the great part about it all really...we get to see if the masses feel that the gnr fans wasted their time for the past 10 or so years 16

the numbers are still an estimate, though metallica's estimate was pretty spot on....we'll have to wait and see though if the gnr numbers are closer to 300,000 or 500,000, thats a pretty wide range 16

Metallica’s Death Magnetic is on pace to sell about 500,000 copies in the U.S.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i … sell-500k/

The metal legends' ninth album has sold a massive 490,000 copies since going on sale on Friday, according to industry monitors Nielsen SoundScan.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/ar … ts_1080698

war

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah, which is why Kanye West, Hanna Montana,etc. are all over the charts.

cd has been on the news........along with the likes of the president-elect obama, local murder, and thanksgiving tidbits. hanna montana hasn't yet she sells more than gnr..... the masses that purcahse music don't watch the news, they just do what their friends are doing. these kids damn near need to be hit over the head with anything. gnr has yet to get a single on their radio stations. most don't think there is a song like that on this album. i have one specific one in mind and i'll be anxious to see if it happens.

James Lofton wrote:

Just like how in 1988 GNR, Van Halen, Poison, Paula Abdul,etc. were all over the charts.

rock n roll was pretty dead in '87 and that's when appetite came out. it took them a while to make it beyond the rock stations and on to the mainstream and it will this time as well. it won't be as big but it may grow a bit.

James Lofton wrote:

This album has run out of excuses.

i'm not making excuses at all, myself. if it fails we'll get more music faster than if it doesn't. we'll get a tour either way, if that is the plan. my points are long but can be summed up by neemo. it's too soon to claim success or failure based on less than a week and i still think the album will last longer on the charts than predicted by a lot of you.

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl can always release what's left as a solo record....it still has some commercial value...not tto mention having the original band re-record certain unreleased songs if they see fit.

Regarding sales, I just want to know what Iovine was thinking when he said that it "is exceeding expectations". My boy on the Rope predicted small sales in the US and large sales worldwide. We shall see.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

maybe Iovine was expecting even smaller sales 16

Board footer