You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Horrible timeing for CD release. Press already moving on?

Bono wrote:

O.k. so we seem to belive that 2006 was the year. 2002 would've been nice, and even 2007 woudl've been o.k. but is it possibel that Gn'R has released Chinese Democracy at the worst possible time in the last decade?  I mean think about it. You've got AC/DC, Motley Crue, Metallica who all released albusm this year, Coldplay and Oasis also put out albums. Now Gn'R relases their album the same week as The Killers, Ludacris, and Kanye West!?  Oh and Apparently Q magazine have just spent time with U2 and  details about their new album along with photos will appear in January issue out end of December. Already? Hype surrounding the hype for U2's new album?  Cool. As a U2 fan this is awesome. As a Guns N' Roses fan it makes it so glaringly obvious they put this album out at the worst time imagineable. This album will be overshadowed by U2's album within the next month and U2's still mixing. Smooth move.  I'm just trying to grasp what management or Axl is really thinking at this point. For all the years we sat here listening to fans say how smart Axl is as a person(not a musician) and how he knows what he's doing, does it not look like the complete opposite right now. It's like this shit show is being run by guests off the Jerry Springer show.  16

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well if they waited for no big releases anywhere near their timetable then the wait could've gone on indefinately 16

Bono

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well if they waited for no big releases anywhere near their timetable then the wait could've gone on indefinately 16

True. I just find it so odd they seemingly shot themselvs in the foot in regards to the actual release. Kanye's crushing them and magazines are already talking U2. They're fighting for radio airplay with Metallica, and AC/DC and Nickleback. I forgot Nickleback just put out an album too.  Just seems like as far as big releases go 2008 turned out to be the biggest in years.  Just makes the missed opportunity of 2006 seem so much worse than it originally looked.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Do you really think magazines are going to push an unpromoted album when everyone else is yapping their heads off?

It's all in the promotion. Done properly, anyone is a big selling band. There was none. If the managers and band don't care, why should the magazines?

Bono

Bono wrote:
Brett wrote:

Do you really think magazines are going to push an unpromoted album when everyone else is yapping their heads off?

It's all in the promotion. Done properly, anyone is a big selling band. There was none. If the managers and band don't care, why should the magazines?

That's what I'm saying!!! Nobody cares because there's other things to care about. 2006 was the year that everyone cared. Obviously magazines aren't gonna give two shits when a U2 album is coming. Thats' stuff they can actually do stories on. They'll do interviews. So will Kanye, so will Metallica and AC/DC so puting an album out when artists like this are releasing albums is a big mistep. in 2006 I don't recall anything else that was really big coming out in the third quarter of the year. I'm saying they missed the boat big time  then tried to jump into an overloaded dingy.

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

GNRBABY wrote:

^ A lot of truth to what you say Bono, but GNR will be just fine. If U2 can recover form the POP Mart era, GNR can recover form this.

Bono

Bono wrote:
GNRBABY wrote:

^ A lot of truth to what you say Bono, but GNR will be just fine. If U2 can recover form the POP Mart era, GNR can recover form this.

That album(Pop) debuted at #1 in 32 countries, and drew mainly positive reviews. I think it sold roughly 6-7 million copies and was supported by a  massive stadium tour that despite what people say was a big success and insanely awesome. I hear what you're saying cause if there is a "black mark" on their career that was it  I suppose. Though they hardly had to "comeback" from anything after that. Many U2 fans consider it hugely underrated and like it more than their last two which were huge successes commercially.  Their "dark period" was pretty bright in comparison. BUt it's early. Maybe Gn'R will get to 5 million and beyond. I don't know.

Anyways I didn't mean for this to be about U2 completely. Just used them as an example.   19

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

"U2 this and U2 that".......

geez bono, maybe the edge could tour with gnr this summer lol

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The press are moving on because that dumb fucking cornrowed irishman won't do interviews.

How can you do press coverage, when there's nothing to fucking cover? It's been reviewed. That's it.

No concerts, no videos, no Axl documentaries, nothing. Pretty hard to do press for something that in some ways - still doesn't exist.

R.B. Huckleberry
 Rep: 2 

It really does seem like rock music...not emo, psuedo-punk, alternative...but rock music is hitting in a big way this year.

GNR's album has the dvantage of already achieving legendary status. But I wish radio in my area was behind it more. I have heard the title track once since 11/23, whereas I heard at least 2/3's of teh album all over the dial in the week leading up to the official release.

Board footer