You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Horrible timeing for CD release. Press already moving on?

PaSnow wrote:

I don't think it was the timing that was solely the problem. Moreso it was the lack of promotion, interviews & having NO TOUR scheduled!! 

This is why 2006 would have been great. Even if they continued on their short lived 2002 tour & released it spring of 2003.  Now, this could have been corrected if Axl & the band did an interview (RS would have had a huge exclusive on it), do SNL (did great ratings this fall) &/or Letterman/Leno, and begin a tour this fall or winter.

Instead, they did nothing.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, its pretty obvious this should have been released in 2002 when the hype and myth was at a fever pitch. It should have been released a couple weeks after the VMA performance. Bash that performance all you want, but for a short period of time after that show, GNR were being talked about everywhere.

2006 was a pretty good time for it as well since the leaks gave the band a pretty big buzz, and there weren't very many huge releases that year. However, I doubt album sales would have been much different in 06 than they are now.

If he wanted huge album sales, 2001 or 2002 was the time for that.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I agree about 2002, plus bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit & Marilyn Manson were big then, GnR would have blown their doors off. Instead, their time kinda passed by a little bit now. A bit more irrelevant to the rock music scene. 6 years is pretty long.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

i dont care who is releasing albums. for christ sake, the album was done, and they release it the week of black friday. when the hell are they supposed to release it?

its a good thing bands like metallica and acdc have released records recently. interest in rock music is higher than it has been in a while.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Part of it is it's not the band people wanted too see release an album under Guns N' Roses. That is fact. If Slash, Duff, and Izzy were in the band the album would have sold more like AC/DC and Metallica.

Sky Dog wrote:

most likely true....regardless of the quality.

FlashFlood wrote:

i dont care who is releasing albums. for christ sake, the album was done, and they release it the week of black friday. when the hell are they supposed to release it?

its a good thing bands like metallica and acdc have released records recently. interest in rock music is higher than it has been in a while.

I agree.

I think for the most part this album has promoted itself, not in the traditional way but everyone's heard of Chinese Democracy and now that it's out there, even if Axl isn't promoting the way a band usually goes about it, it's still going to retain interest. 

Hell according to Soundscan predictions this album isn't going to do too bad it's first week
"This development comes on the heels of a report released Monday by "Hits Daily Double," which claims Chinese Democracy is on pace to scan anywhere between 300,000 and 500,000 copies; that figure also includes a reported 25,000 iTunes downloads."

I personally think 2002 would have been a terrible time.  Axl wasn't on his game at all and it showed at the VMA's.  I think 2006 would have been the best time but now is just a good a time as ever.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well in 02 all we had heard was riad, blues, maddy, cd and silkworms....plus they were only live cuts...contraband went platinum off curiosity alone...and album sales hadnt dramatically dipped at that time...

anyway i see both sides of the argument here...carry on 16

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think it's just in the promo. the media needs something to go on about in order for them to be able to go on. They did their reviews. They can't do many more articles without something happening...a tour...a scandle of some kind (like a nightclub fight, forgetting to wear undies in a cab lol whatever..) or some interviews....they need something to write about if you want to see a story.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think it's just in the promo. the media needs something to go on about in order for them to be able to go on. They did their reviews. They can't do many more articles without something happening...a tour...a scandle of some kind (like a nightclub fight, forgetting to wear undies in a cab lol whatever..) or some interviews....they need something to write about if you want to see a story.

Yep!  And since Axl's MIA well we won't get too many stories.

Board footer