You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Better Official Single 12/02/08

faldor wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Neanderpaul wrote:

We've been playing CD for a few weeks and are now switching to "Better" Here's the problem with playing too much of the new stuff. We try not to play the same bands inside of 90 minutes or so...so as not to appear to be "playing the same shit over and over" So...if we play more than 1 song at a time for a few weeks from the CD, we don't play any of the older GnR stuff...and that pisses off a lot of fans. To be honest...it angers more than it attracts by playing new stuff. So, there's why your local station might not be playing more than 1 song from "CD" right now. Those that are...aren't playing stuff from AFD or UYI as much, and disappointing those people who want to hear the songs they love from GnR. wink

are you paul marshall?

Yeah, I used to listen to him on WAAF in Boston.  I thought that name sounded familiar.

Dadud
 Rep: 14 

Dadud wrote:

for some reason, 104.1 in central wisconsin isnt playing the new version of better, or did the radio stations get a different mix without the guitar over the brain sucking noise?

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
faldor wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Neanderpaul wrote:

We've been playing CD for a few weeks and are now switching to "Better" Here's the problem with playing too much of the new stuff. We try not to play the same bands inside of 90 minutes or so...so as not to appear to be "playing the same shit over and over" So...if we play more than 1 song at a time for a few weeks from the CD, we don't play any of the older GnR stuff...and that pisses off a lot of fans. To be honest...it angers more than it attracts by playing new stuff. So, there's why your local station might not be playing more than 1 song from "CD" right now. Those that are...aren't playing stuff from AFD or UYI as much, and disappointing those people who want to hear the songs they love from GnR. wink

are you paul marshall?

Yeah, I used to listen to him on WAAF in Boston.  I thought that name sounded familiar.

ya i remember he left waaf, went to wbcn for like a week, and then disappeared. wonder where he is now.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
faldor wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

are you paul marshall?

ya i remember he left waaf, went to wbcn for like a week, and then disappeared. wonder where he is now.

From his profile here

"Neander" Paul Marshall
Afternoons/Music Director/Super Genius
KQRC 98-9 The Rock!
Kansas City, MO
www.989therock.com
www.neanderpaul.com

Neanderpaul
 Rep: 1 

Neanderpaul wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

Neanderpaul, is it just the format difference, which allows Sirius Octane to play Sorry, Better, CD, and TWAT multiple times during the day?

BTW, folks, you can listen to one of the best DJ's in the country live, at work, right now!  It's a Symphony for Destruction at times.....and always entertaining!!  Requests, for the on air personality and the listen live online link are found at that site.

http://989therock.com/

Actually no. There are no set rules, nor is there any format differential.

To be honest, Satellite can be a little more diverse simply because they don't serve any one audience. It's not a good programming strategy. But, they work on a different model than terrestrial radio does. The programming philosophy is sound.

Ultimately, people want to hear songs they like. Now, there was a time (you're welcome) when radio was in the business of music education. However, due to the growth of so many other sources of music information, radio shifted their focus on serving the masses. So, we give the people what they want, and squeeze new stuff in between the proven songs.

The stations that do it best, get higher ratings.

Satellite...unfortunately, doesn't do it well. I have many friends that work there, and I wish them the best, but the future is not bright for XM/Sirius. And radio...well we can discuss it in another thread if you want to smile

Neanderpaul

Neanderpaul wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Do you get that same attitude playing The Day That Never Comes... instead of say... Nothing Else Matters?

Just curious.

Yes. By far, the most requested Metallica stuff comes from the Black Album. We have been getting great response to everything from "Death Magnetic" though, and expect it to be a "10-year record" That is to say, you'll be hearing stuff from Death Magnetic on the radio ten years from now. The same surely cannot be said about St. Anger

Neanderpaul

Neanderpaul wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Neanderpaul wrote:

are you paul marshall?

Yes.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Neanderpaul wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Do you get that same attitude playing The Day That Never Comes... instead of say... Nothing Else Matters?

Just curious.

Yes. By far, the most requested Metallica stuff comes from the Black Album. We have been getting great response to everything from "Death Magnetic" though, and expect it to be a "10-year record" That is to say, you'll be hearing stuff from Death Magnetic on the radio ten years from now. The same surely cannot be said about St. Anger

I hope the same can be said for CD ten years from now, maybe after some consecutive tours by the new band, and a couple more albums.

Your response is a bit more encouraging, in the fact that people have that attitude typically about everything new from past artists. It isn't just an "Axl-only GN'R" thing.

Neanderpaul

Neanderpaul wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Neanderpaul wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Just curious.

I hope the same can be said for CD ten years from now, maybe after some consecutive tours by the new band, and a couple more albums.

Your response is a bit more encouraging, in the fact that people have that attitude typically about everything new from past artists. It isn't just an "Axl-only GN'R" thing.

Oh no...Ultimately, and especially during times of economic, or personal hardship, people gravitate to things that comfort them. Obviously, "Appetite" and the Illusion Cds came out at a time when many of us were young, and didn't have to worry about retirement and house payments.

New music right now, is taking a pounding. Mostly because most of it...honestly, just isn't very good. The good stuff is out there, but people aren't consuming it at a rate that equals the masses' desire for the stuff that allows them to escape from their stressful worlds. "Paradise City" makes you turn the radio up...because you know it, you feel it, and you don't have to think/listen to it. It just happens. When you hear new stuff that doesn't light you up immediately, you don't want to have to think about it, so you change the station to find a song you "like"...that's bad for me smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, you do have a program director to answer to.

And again, thx for all your input. It gives us an idea of what the radio market is doing with this stuff.

Board footer