You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: The Ten Definitive Guns N’ Roses Moments

Neemo wrote:

The Ten Definitive Guns N’ Roses Moments
Posted Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:32pm PST
by Rob O'Connor in List Of The Day

Chinese Democracy, the long-awaited (to put it mildly) new Guns N' Roses album, is commercially available this week. Now, whether or not an album featuring only one original member of the band, one W. Axl Rose, should be considered an actual Guns N' Roses album is a fair debate for another time and place. For now, List of the Day wishes to consider these 10 moments that define the Guns n' Roses legacy. You undoubtedly have your own memories. Please share them in the comments section conveniently supplied by the kind cyborgs that run this mysterious Y! Music site.

10) "November Rain" Video: Just when you thought there was no way that MTV would ever play anything so long and involved, they not only play this "November Rain" video once, they play it constantly until everyone on earth has seen it and understands how much rain can mess up your plans. And weddings aren't just for Bridezillas.

9) Riot In St. Louis: What would Guns N' Roses be without Axl's insistence on fighting with his audience and bringing about a riot? This does take audience participation to a new extreme. Almost  makes Jim Morrison seem tame by comparison. Ride the snake, baby, ride the snake...

8) Waiting For Chinese Democracy: Actually releasing this album has to be anti-climactic. I mean, c'mon! The anticipation is always better than the real thing. Has there ever been a Christmas that's lived up to its hype? As a kid, I waited for Santa to bring me all kinds of great things and I got socks. Every year. Thanks for nothing, fat man.

7) Controversy Over "One In A Million": By calling people out with inflammatory words, Axl Rose was deemed a potential racist. I prefer to think he's just a challenged linguist. Just as I would not be a worthy lead singer for a hard rock band, Axl would probably not be such a fine, astute blogger beloved to utter millions.

6) The Dual Release Of Use Your Illusion I And II: Nothing kicks up your self-importance more than releasing two albums at the same time. They pressured Bruce Springsteen to do the same. And then that guy in Smashing Pumpkins did a double album. And it makes you wonder if this is actually making things better? Or just more expensive?

5) Kicking Out Drummer Steven Adler For Doing Too Many Drugs: This is pretty amazing. Adler should probably be considered the "ultimate" member if he actually forced the other guys to draw the line and get rid of him because he was doing too many drugs. Was there a rule in the band that you could only pass out once during a performance?

4) Izzy Stradlin: Sure, Axl and Slash were the focal point. And Duff looked pretty solid standing there all tall and proud with the bass, but the word has always been that it's Izzy Stradlin's songwriting that brought this band to their true heights. And let's face it, you can look the part, you can buy the loudest amps, you can hire the coolest art department and you can come up with the best song titles, but if you don't have the songs you're just another lousy band with a tireless publicity company backing you.

3) Most Of The Band Forms Velvet Revolver With Scott Weiland: This almost feels like a game of "Ditch ‘Em." How difficult must Axl Rose be if the members of his old, very successful band would rather play with Scott Weiland, who spends much of his time going in and out of rehab?

2) "Civil War": Everyone has their favorite Guns N' Roses tune. Everyone. Even my father said before he died that if he had to choose one Guns N' Roses song to be played at his funeral it would be "Civil War." Or as he put it to me at the time, "If you're going to be a jerk and play some horrible music at my funeral, at least make it something like that song about the ‘Civil War'." I took that to mean, he really wanted to hear it from his casket. And if the uptight priest hadn't been so uptight, it would've happened. We settled on some old gospel spiritual instead. Life is so full of "compromises."

1) Appetite For Destruction: Who can argue this? This was the album that made their reputation. Without this, all the antics, all the poses, all the ups and downs don't add up to anything. But here we were Welcomed to the Jungle with a "Sweet Child O' Mine" and warned about dancing with Mr. Brownstone and told to keep an eye on "My Michelle" out in "Paradise City" while we're at it. That was 21 years ago! If that doesn't make you feel old, you must be sitting in a vat of Ben-Gay as we speak. So turn up your hearing aid and rock on, old man!

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listof … s-moments/

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The wait for CD is #8, and VR forming is #3?

You think he's a Slash fan?

He can go fuck himself. The wait for CD should be #2 behind AFD. It's wait has become legend, not only for the band, not only for rock music, but all popular music. 40 years from now, people will still be mentioning - AFD, and after that, the wait for CD.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Terrible list. VR has no place on that list. Where's the Ritz? The SCOM video that was played on MTV every 10 minutes? The Rio 91 show? The AMA fiasco? Axl getting arrested because of that psycho neighbor, and MTV following his every move? Axl and Izzy performing with Tom Petty at the VMA's causing the world's heart to skip a beat? Why is that NR video on there? His reason for its inclusion makes no sense because NR sure as hell isn't the longest video. That award goes to MJ's Thriller, and that was played more than NR. Why is Civil War high on this list, and why is no reason given for its inclusion?

Its like this guy googled GNR and just cherry picked supposed highlights.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, and if you think about it, the Estranged video should be on there over NR. Because that was officially GNR's "jump the shark" moment, or in their case, "jump the dolphin".

Oh and what about the time Izzy got arrested for taking a piss on that airplane.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Slash ODing and being dead in that hotel was all over MTV....And axl's arrest when he returned to the USA after the st louis riot

Look at your game girl was a big story, the paris PPV was a big moment too

Sky Dog wrote:

My favorite moment, head and shoulders above every other moment, was Farm Aid. Original band at the height of their powers. Sold out Farm Aid crowd expecting SCOM or Patience or Jungle......no. New song called Civil War. Entire band looking badass....Popcorn all fucked up falling in to the drums. Me, I'm waiting all day long watching FarmAid...22 years old, thinking Gnr was the next Zep, the next Stones. The boys come out and prove to me they are the complete shit...the total package. Then, after I am floored by Civil War, they decide to go straight punk with Down on the Farm....jaw dropped...testosterone flying. Dick Clark speechless.......ooooohhhhhhh! Axl throws the mic down after "have a good fuckin night" and the tv screen goes completely blue.

Board footer