You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: IF CD doesnt outdo Contraband

James wrote:

Everyone makes valid points.

What I like the most about this VR vs GNR thing is now it gets its first dose of reality. For years we've heard the nutswingers say how CD will destroy everything VR did sales wise, critically, awards,etc. Now all of a sudden none of that matters. If this album was flying off the shelves, it would still matter to them. Now they just have a bunch of excuses.

Too funny.

VR sucks in my opinion. The only way I can even listen to them is by condensing the only songs I like into an EP....

Slither
Fall to Pieces
Psycho Killer
SBQM
The rest is garbage.

R.B. Huckleberry
 Rep: 2 

Isn't 300,000 copies in four days considered successful? Hasn't even had a week yet, and I think the VR totals everyone's remembering are from a full week's sales. Tomorrow is Black Friday, after all. Lots of mall-hopping (Traditionally. Who knows these days?), and lots of Best-Buys in those malls. Tomorrow's sales could match or even out-do release day.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Contraband is weak imo, and so is Libertad. Not a big VR fan here. Snakepit sucked too. I'm much more a fan of Loaded & Izzy's solo stuff, and even some of Gilby's solo work. I'm also very interested to hear Dizzy's solo album. He has the potential to kick ass.

As for CD vs. Contraband... if CD doesn't beat Contraband, it will be humiliating. If CD just ties Contraband, even with the GN'R name slapped on it - it'll be an embarrassment.

Axl needs CD to at least go triple-platinum imo. If not, it'll be a disappointment.

Musically, I can tell you right now, CD blows ANYTHING out of the water from the other members on quality. I also think it's the strongest album behind AFD. So it's a fuckin' awesome record.

And as far as Awards go, they don't mean shit. When guys like Chris Brown (who?) are winning Artist of the Year.... then they are just handing them out for the sake of doing it.

Why do sales equal success?

Because it's an official way for Axl to say "I never needed you guys". It's kind of like the ex-husband, who gets the divorce, and is made out to be the bad guy for years, then wins the lottery 15 years later, and gets his moment in the sun to go "na na na na na na ha ha ha ha ha ha ha".

Sales are also crucial to CD. A ton of money was sunk into it's production, it's the most expensive album ever, and needs to make some serious bread by moving units at the record store, to look good for Axl.

I also think the inevitable 'financial flop' of CD (which we all knew would happen), will also force his hand to fast track a possible second and third album out, to continue to make Universal money on the GN'R name.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
R.B. Huckleberry wrote:

Isn't 300,000 copies in four days considered successful? Hasn't even had a week yet, and I think the VR totals everyone's remembering are from a full week's sales. Tomorrow is Black Friday, after all. Lots of mall-hopping (Traditionally. Who knows these days?), and lots of Best-Buys in those malls. Tomorrow's sales could match or even out-do release day.

I thought the 300k was projected sales for the entire week, no?

Sky Dog wrote:

we'll know the US facts by Thurs next week.....European charts will come out earlier in the week. But, Hits usually predicts pretty well.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Everyone makes valid points.

What I like the most about this VR vs GNR thing is now it gets its first dose of reality. For years we've heard the nutswingers say how CD will destroy everything VR did sales wise, critically, awards,etc. Now all of a sudden none of that matters. If this album was flying off the shelves, it would still matter to them. Now they just have a bunch of excuses.

Too funny.

VR sucks in my opinion. The only way I can even listen to them is by condensing the only songs I like into an EP....

Slither
Fall to Pieces
Psycho Killer
SBQM
The rest is garbage.

I can give most anything on Contraband a listen, but I only go out of my way for:

Dirty Little Thing
Slither
Fall to Pieces
She Builds Quick Machines
Loving the Alien
Set Me Free
Surrender (Cheap Trick cover bonus track, just thought I'd throw it out there)

Weiland's not my kind of singer (and at times, lyricist), that's my only real beef with Contraband's sound.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It won't matter to us, just everyone else. If Contraband out sells Chinese Democracy it will be mentioned in just about every single article written about GNR in the future; that he couldn't outsell his old bandmates. I don't really care either way, but it would suck for Axl though.

James Lofton wrote:

Slither
Fall to Pieces
Psycho Killer
SBQM
The rest is garbage.

I agree with this. But I'd add "Gas And A Dollar Laugh" "You Got No Right" and "Come On, Come in" on there, too. If only they wrote an album around those songs. 16

This VR vs. GN'R thing is really pointless.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't think so Slash_McKagen. I think it's very important. VERY important to Axl.

Kurt Cobain-ism important.

He'd never admit to it, but...

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

If CD doesn't sell three times more copies than Contraband, then it'll be a failure. It has the Guns N' Roses brand name, unlike the other record. It took 12 years to complete that album. Contraband took 1. CD costs around 15 million bucks, Contraband is under a million, I think. CD is the comeback of the lead singer, Contraband was the an effort of some ex-GN'R musicians. We all know that people tend to be tied more to the singer than anyone, including an iconic lead guitarist. Robert Plant doing bluegrass sounds more Led Zeppelin to the masses than Jimmy Page doing an album with Coverdale.

Board footer