You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Re: Best Buy exclusive dramatically limited 1st week sales!

After reading some industry boards, and discussing with someone in radio and the business side of record distribution, I came away with a new perspective on the whole 1st week deal:

--GNR's demographic is not well served by the Best Buy deal--many are in more rural areas of the Midwest and South with very limited access to Best Buy.

--Common GNR fans, those who would not search them out on the internet, and do not listen to modern rock radio, would have likely purchased this on impulse if they would have seen this at Wal Mart, Target, local record store, etc.  (noted in detail on Velvet Rope),

--Best Buy is an electronics store, which does not have a very diverse demographic of people--in other words, it only reached a small portion of those who would be likely to buy the record.

--Best Buy dramatically limited promotion--once it was in their court, it was their responsibility to market.  They virtually reached no one who did not already know about this.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

They could have ordered it online. And Best Buy has become a total entertainment store from games to music to  TVs to even Books. It hurt sales but not as much as one would think.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Do people just want albums uploaded into their brains the nanosecond after release? The music industry lets record stores die off so these types of stores can move the product, which inevitably led to these sorts of exclusives. Now the exclusives aren't good enough. What do people want?

I remember when this BB exclusive was announced. The fanbase was happier than pigs in shit. Now that the numbers have been crunched, its a different story.

I was in the minority against this from the beginning, simply because I think its bullshit for ANY store to have exclusive rights to any product.

ANYONE interested in this album knew of its release. Obviously this wasn't the greatest promotional campaign in history, but people did know it was out there.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Who cares. It's not 100% BB's fault for stinky sales. It's not 100% the labels fault for doing it. Remember it's partially Axl's fault for running up a $13 million dollar tab on this, setting expectations astronomically high. Now, with only Axl in the band anymore all anyone's asking is "So who's in it anymore, is it just Axl??". This albums good, but not $13 million dollars good. Remember alot of people hated Axl Rose, and remember him as immature or an ass. And while they might buy a GnR album with Slash & Duff etc, they're not going to buy one without them.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

We all know how it's fared on the national charts, but does anyone know how well it compares to how many units of other CDs that Best Buy sold this week? I mean, has ChiDem outsold Kanye at Best Buy at least?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I do think a combo of limited Best Buy's in each state, and hardly any promo by BB themselves hurt this album.

In hind sight - they should've went with Wal-Mart. Just about every town in the U.S. has a WM, or one that is very close, and look at AC/DC. WM would've promoted the shit out of CD.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
huntermc wrote:

We all know how it's fared on the national charts, but does anyone know how well it compares to how many units of other CDs that Best Buy sold this week? I mean, has ChiDem outsold Kanye at Best Buy at least?

It better have.  If they couldn't outsell an album that was available everywhere at the only location their album was available, this was a huge failure.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Agree with the original poster 110%. I said this before, but I drove an hour on the 23rd to get this album. Thats cause I am a diehard. Most people want do that. If they are in the area, sure they'll pick it up, but since many people are saving as much money as they can right now, they arent going to make a special trip way out of their way to get a cd.

And Best Buy's promotion for this album was shit. I expected much more. Of course, Axl didnt do himself any favors in this arena either.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

I have said from the beginning (before release date) that I wasn't convinced the exclusive was a good idea.  Yeah, Best Buy sells everything (entertainment wise) but it is NOT large enough to compete with exclusives like those that Wal Mart does, bottom line.  Therefore many people did not get the album.  I know for a FACT that people have asked for the cd at retail stores only to be told "we don't have it".  It's a fact this hurt sales.  The good news is once the "exclusitivity" runs out (anyone know how long that is?) I think it will help sales stay moderate instead of nose dive.  This will be what keeps relatively decent sales going and propel it to the 3x platinum (my guess) by next year's end.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I drove three hours round trip to pick up CD at Best Buy on the 23rd.

Board footer