You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

faldor wrote:
Paxcow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I don't necessarily want catchy and mainstream.

The album needed a few songs of that caliber. Unfortunately, he cant write that type of material. If new GNR is going to continue, I think the next album needs outside songwriters. Either that, or hire musicians who can write some solid material. If Tommy leaves at some point to do a Replacements reunion, give Ben Shepard a blank check.

you don't like madagascar????

Its ok, it just didn't need to be on the record. He makes the same point on the rest of the album. He channels the Fat Boys and gives us extremely repetitive lyrics. This song tells you all you need to know about what's still sitting in the CD vault.

i wouldn't want to see any outside writers participate in gnr. i think that's weak. aerosmith have been doing shit like that. i don't like it. screw trying to please the masses! i want to hear music that the artist creates. not some other writer. (and that's not a slight against outside writers. it's just what i want.) same goes for any other kind of art form. i wouldn't buy a painting and then sit back and ponder what i don't like about it, or would change, or if some other artist should have come on and helped paint it. music to me is art. i want to see what axl and his peeps in gnr create. can ya dig it? cool

Agreed, I don't want Axl singing "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" or some Desmond Child song, no offense to Sebastian Bach as I did enjoy "Falling Into You".  I don't think Axl needs help, at least not from my vantage point.  If his goal is to win a grammy for best adult contempory rock song or to have a hit song on some sappy romance movie soundtrack then maybe, but I don't think he's out for that.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Paxcow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Paxcow wrote:

you don't like madagascar???? 10

I don't think that's what he's saying.

I love Madagascar, and think it's one of the stronger songs on the album... but i'll be the first to tell you it's dated by a decade or more. The 'sound' of it is - OLD.

If alot of this album sounded like 'classic Guns', people wouldn't have an issue with the 'old' factor. I think what it's got more to do with, is Axl re-invented the GN'R sound completely... into something that was popular in 1998.

but if everyone hadn't listened to the leaks, it wouldn't sound old. none of them would. i think every single song on this album is fantastic! i didn't listen to the leaks, except for "better." and that doesn't make me any less of a gnr fan. (and i know no one said that)

i don't participate in most of these debates about the music because i just love all of it so much! i'm grateful to have it. 9

i just don't like to over-analyze everything about it.

.......just my thoughts. 19

I've heard that theory going around, and I just don't buy it. That's what Axl nutswingers say. Not saying you are one, but as much as I deem myself an "Axlite" i'm not so far out of reality to really buy into that theory.

The leaks had NO affect on age. None. The sounds are dated. Period. Even in 2001, when Madagacar, Street of Dreams, CD & Riad debuted through live performances - they were dated. Maybe not by the 10+ years they are in 2008, but even then i'd say they were dated by 5 years, when they were fresh.

I think you're missing the point when we're talking "age". We're not talking about the songs themselves waining in popularity. We're talking about the actual instrumentals "sound" on the album. The material is very good, but it's simply WAY past it's window...

Sky Dog wrote:

no outside writers were needed and Axl certainly didn't need any hip hop type of producers helping him. I will have to say he just needed someone to tell him "that is shit" and someone who could have convinced him of that. Unfortunately, most of those people may have been fired. Brian May alluded to the production issues in one of his recent posts. He said he was worried about Axl's voice being buried in the production.

Now, in the end, none of the "if's" matter as Axl had all the time and money in the world to make the record. I think he did the best he could and this is what we get. A fractured album from a fractured individual. I don't think he could do better left to his own devices. The good thing for me is that I really dig his eclectic tastes, but I can see where people don't like it.

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Paxcow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I don't think that's what he's saying.

I love Madagascar, and think it's one of the stronger songs on the album... but i'll be the first to tell you it's dated by a decade or more. The 'sound' of it is - OLD.

If alot of this album sounded like 'classic Guns', people wouldn't have an issue with the 'old' factor. I think what it's got more to do with, is Axl re-invented the GN'R sound completely... into something that was popular in 1998.

but if everyone hadn't listened to the leaks, it wouldn't sound old. none of them would. i think every single song on this album is fantastic! i didn't listen to the leaks, except for "better." and that doesn't make me any less of a gnr fan. (and i know no one said that)

i don't participate in most of these debates about the music because i just love all of it so much! i'm grateful to have it. 9

i just don't like to over-analyze everything about it.

.......just my thoughts. 19

I've heard that theory going around, and I just don't buy it. That's what Axl nutswingers say. Not saying you are one, but as much as I deem myself an "Axlite" i'm not so far out of reality to really buy into that theory.

The leaks had NO affect on age. None. The sounds are dated. Period. Even in 2001, when Madagacar, Street of Dreams, CD & Riad debuted through live performances - they were dated. Maybe not by the 10+ years they are in 2008, but even then i'd say they were dated by 5 years, when they were fresh.

I think you're missing the point when we're talking "age". We're not talking about the songs themselves waining in popularity. We're talking about the actual instrumentals "sound" on the album. The material is very good, but it's simply WAY past it's window...

you're wrong in my opinion. i think the reason you think the songs sound dated is because they actually sound like guns n roses, a band we hadn't heard anything from in many years. axl's voice is probably what dates it for you. you relate that sound to that time. and if i'm wrong.........what direction would you have guns n roses go to sound more currernt, in you're expert opinion? cool

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

He has his moments when he's not too busy being buried in a Matchbox 20 record....:lol:

There are far worse places to be.  Their first album stands up pretty well against any rock out there since it was released.  The third album is pretty good too, but the second one is a little too Axl for me.

16:haha::haha:

I have their first album, but then again I was 10 or 11 when it came out. I don't ever listen to it. They're one of those bands that comes on the radio a lot and I don't usually turn it off when they come on. Compared to GN'R though? They're shit. 16

Depends on which GnR we're talking about.  As I said, I think Yourself or Someone Like You stands up against any rock album put out since it came out in 1996.  That includes CD.  I'm not saying it's better than all of them, just saying it holds it's own. 

I think had Mad Season (their version of TSI except it wasn't covers) not been released and Rob not gone solo with that overly pop crap, people would be a lot more open minded towards Matchbox Twenty as a rock band.  To me, their third album (More Than You Think You Are) might be their best album, but it gets a lot less play than the first one commercially.  Yes, he went gay with the pop shit, but don't let that define Matchbox Twenty.  Smooth is a hell of a good song too and I think a glimpse of what he could do with a very good guitar player.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

I love orchestra's and the violins and chello's do not sound "dated".  I just don't get this "dated" deal.  A good beat is a good beat--although The Beatles were using different technology than today to express their notes and visions, it does not sound dated.  I don't think CD sounds dated at all--just different than other stuff.  Good music is is timeless.  Shit, some of the stuff Zappa, King Crimson, and Floyd were doing in the 70's sounds more modern than what some call "modern hip hop beats" and loops to me.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

I don't think axl was aiming for a big cheesy/catchy song based on the structures of the songs.

it's just not the kind of musician he is

i tihnk he'd rather expres himself than create a catchy/cheesy hit or let someone else write the music

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Moved up the charts again last week.  The last minute X-Mas shoppers probably helped, not to mention the drop in price to $9.99.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i … ales-week/

And Guns n’ Roses’ Chinese Democracy shockingly gained momentum, gaining from 33 to 25 thanks to a 9 percent sales increase.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Helped? That entire boost was Christmas shoppers. A 9% increase isn't 'shocking'. Its Christmas season and there aren't a ton of new albums out. What would have been shocking is if there had been no boost at all.

However, a boost is a boost any way the cookie crumbles.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Helped? That entire boost was Christmas shoppers. A 9% increase isn't 'shocking'. Its Christmas season and there aren't a ton of new albums out. What would have been shocking is if there had been no boost at all.

However, a boost is a boost any way the cookie crumbles.

James, lets just agree with them so they shut up... HA.  The album was released during the highest spending time of the year and that was done to maximize sales.  If this maximized them, I would have hated to see what would have happened had this thing dropped in february.

Board footer