You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I never said that I wanted it to sound like Nicklesuck.

I said that to get around the 'dated' sound, that's the route he'd have to go. It'd have to sound like modern rock radio.

I'd rather him not go that route.  There's not much good on modern rock radio right now.

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Paxcow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I've heard that theory going around, and I just don't buy it. That's what Axl nutswingers say. Not saying you are one, but as much as I deem myself an "Axlite" i'm not so far out of reality to really buy into that theory.

The leaks had NO affect on age. None. The sounds are dated. Period. Even in 2001, when Madagacar, Street of Dreams, CD & Riad debuted through live performances - they were dated. Maybe not by the 10+ years they are in 2008, but even then i'd say they were dated by 5 years, when they were fresh.

I think you're missing the point when we're talking "age". We're not talking about the songs themselves waining in popularity. We're talking about the actual instrumentals "sound" on the album. The material is very good, but it's simply WAY past it's window...

you're wrong in my opinion. i think the reason you think the songs sound dated is because they actually sound like guns n roses, a band we hadn't heard anything from in many years. axl's voice is probably what dates it for you. you relate that sound to that time. and if i'm wrong.........what direction would you have guns n roses go to sound more currernt, in you're expert opinion? cool

HUH?!??!?!

This album sounds NOTHING like Guns N' Roses. That's the problem. Maybe with the sole exception of TWAT and This I Love, everything else is totally different. And there lies the problem.

If Axl was going to do a 'dated' album... then why not KEEP the traditional GN'R sound, and just do the material? Sure it'd sound dated, but it'd sound like classic GN'R. But instead, what he did was totally re-invent the sound of GN'R.... to something that was popular in the mid 90's.

Industrial-influences? WTF? If The World sounds like a Seal song, and even Riad is dated as far as techno goes.

He simply waited too long. This album would've been musically relevant, had it been released, by NO LATER than 2001, and I only say that to save Bucket's guitar work, which is probably the only thing in the album keeping it a bit modern.

I think what Axl should've done is modernize CD... AGAIN.... in order to be musically modern in 2008. If that means the rockers sound like Zombie, and the ballads sound like Nicklesuck... than so be it. It's really the only thing around being dated.

This album is dated, but not because it sounds like a GN'R album. It's because it doesn't sound like a GN'R album, yet at the same time, it's re-invented sound, is totally not modern either.

Some of the tracks sound like Queen. Catcher, This I Love... how will that appeal to a current audience? What's 'hip' about that? Those songs are throwbacks to the 70's, early-80's at the latest. SO... not only do they NOT sound like GN'R, they're also old too, for an entire different reason. You see where i'm going with this.

This is what a suit, sitting at Universal is saying, listening to Chinese Democracy, and having to tell HIS boss, WHY CD is underperforming.

honey, you are out of your ever-lovin' mind!!!!!!!!!!! 14:laugh:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Typical response from someone who never has anything to say, or any debating skills in order to defend their argument.

Thanks for proving me right. 22

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

HUH?!??!?!

This album sounds NOTHING like Guns N' Roses. That's the problem. Maybe with the sole exception of TWAT and This I Love, everything else is totally different. And there lies the problem.

If Axl was going to do a 'dated' album... then why not KEEP the traditional GN'R sound, and just do the material? Sure it'd sound dated, but it'd sound like classic GN'R. But instead, what he did was totally re-invent the sound of GN'R.... to something that was popular in the mid 90's.

Industrial-influences? WTF? If The World sounds like a Seal song, and even Riad is dated as far as techno goes.

He simply waited too long. This album would've been musically relevant, had it been released, by NO LATER than 2001, and I only say that to save Bucket's guitar work, which is probably the only thing in the album keeping it a bit modern.

I think what Axl should've done is modernize CD... AGAIN.... in order to be musically modern in 2008. If that means the rockers sound like Zombie, and the ballads sound like Nicklesuck... than so be it. It's really the only thing around being dated.

This album is dated, but not because it sounds like a GN'R album. It's because it doesn't sound like a GN'R album, yet at the same time, it's re-invented sound, is totally not modern either.

Some of the tracks sound like Queen. Catcher, This I Love... how will that appeal to a current audience? What's 'hip' about that? Those songs are throwbacks to the 70's, early-80's at the latest. SO... not only do they NOT sound like GN'R, they're also old too, for an entire different reason. You see where i'm going with this.

This is what a suit, sitting at Universal is saying, listening to Chinese Democracy, and having to tell HIS boss, WHY CD is underperforming.

I agree with you on most of this post.   When I listen to modern rock stations and hear CD or Better thrown in the mix of all these new songs, it doesn't exactly fit right. 

But then when you hear Metallica and ACDC playing on the same station, with CD or Better, then it starts to work more.  The sounds from all 3 of these bands sound dated. People aren't complaining about ACDC and Metallica sounding dated because they stuck with the same sound.  Metallica went back to their roots, and ACDC basically put out the same album again. But Axl re-invented the GNR sound, so it doesn't sound a lot like the old band.  The new sound sounds dated.  But i'm still not getting how this is a bad thing necessarily.  It seems like a lot of people had huge expectations for this album and what it would do for modern music.  It hasn't re-invented anything, nor is it going to. 

CD isn't like anything else being played on the radio right now.  For me, that works.  I don't really care if CD is a huge financial success.  As far as i'm concerned, that's more of a fault on Axl's part for the zero promotion put behind it than of the quality of material.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Metallica doesn't sound dated at all to me. If anything, Metallica is the only 'still' modern old act out there.

The entire reason for that is because every rock act in the last 20 years, have basically lifted their instrumental & vocal sound, refined it, streamlined it, and made it radio ready.

So when I hear Metallica doing a new-era Nothing Else Matters, like The Day That Never Comes... they fit right in with pussies like Fall Out Boy, Nicklesuck & Hinder.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

CD should be very near gold now, anybody have the total sales figures at this point?  Got to be very close.

It's good to see the album still hovering and not dropping dead but PROMO and a VIDEO could help keep this going a bit longer.  I relentlessly say (as I have from the beginning, and thus far haven't been proved wrong) that while this album didn't have the sales we all wanted initially that it may still have a fairly long run on the top 100 and in the end sale well.  It's not too late just yet, getting closer to being too late but I think a few right moves could keep the album alive long enough to steady the sales.  If the curve of dropoff is a gradual one (hopefully with dips and rises) I believe we could see platinum during spring.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think public acceptance of the record by high chart positions would have been the icing on the cake. But it some ways it also isn't necessary for us fans.

It's like fucking a chick. If you walk around with her, and everyone thinks she's the hottest girl around, and knows you are together, there is a certain pride you feel as everyone else clamours around her. However, when it gets down to it, if everyone else thinks she looks gross, if she's what rings your bell, you won't need their acceptance to have a great time fucking!

For me this album is like that. Had it been #1 for months, sales gone through the roof and it crossed over to be the new anthems of 2008-2009 for the general public, I would have felt a sence of pride, as I've been a fan of this band since inception, and i've followed these songs on their journey to official release. So I would have felt that pride. But, at the the end of the day, if everyone else in the world thought this music was garbage, I could put on the CD in my stereo at home, close my eyes, and it will ring my bell, and that's what matters to me.

As with anything in life, what matters is being comforable in your own skin, public acceptance of it is a delightful bonus that sometimes comes but isn't necessary.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

As with anything in life, what matters is being comforable in your own skin, public acceptance of it is a delightful bonus that sometimes comes but isn't necessary.

Absolutely true.  While I would love to see it be a success (just like pulling for you favorite sports team) it does not damper my listening enjoyment in the least.  I have always been one who usually prefers the "non-hits" on most albums to the widely accepted ones anyway.  Many of the artists I like are obscure so this isn't a biggie for me.  It's just you like to see your team "win", nothing more.

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums.htm

15 on the world chart this week

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

so it was at 20 2 weeks ago, jumped to 15 last week and held steady this week

canada charts show 8 2 weeks ago, 10 last week and 12 this week..one thing i noticed in stores is that there is a ton of copies on the shelves and they have already reduced the price to $10

Board footer