You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

monkeychow wrote:

Hmmm...let's see:

Slash = One of greatest guitar players of all time, wrote some of the most famous riffs ever, iconic rock solos, beautiful emotive playing at a level few can capture.

Buckethead = One of the best guitarists ever seen, apparently flawless ability, breathtaking speed, interesting and creative use of melody, tones and non-traditional approaches to music creation that most are unable to emulate.

No offence, but anyone who can't see that BOTH these men are fucking amazing guitarists, with imense tallent and masters of creating their chosen effect, is FUCKED in the head. wink

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Hmmm...let's see:

Slash = One of greatest guitar players of all time, wrote some of the most famous riffs ever, iconic rock solos, beautiful emotive playing at a level few can capture.

Buckethead = One of the best guitarists ever seen, apparently flawless ability, breathtaking speed, interesting and creative use of melody, tones and non-traditional approaches to music creation that most are unable to emulate.

No offence, but anyone who can't see that BOTH these men are fucking amazing guitarists, with imense tallent and masters of creating their chosen effect, is FUCKED in the head. wink

Agreed.  I will always hold Slash at a higher regard than most, since he was "the guy" when I became a GNR fan.  But that doesn't take away from the fact that I think Bucket's TWAT solo stands up to anything Slash has ever done.  They're both great, bottom line.  It's a matter of preference whether who you like more.  And it's not always gonna be the "guitar hero".  Admittedly Slash has done way more iconic things than Bucket, but that doesn't necessarily make him better.

And I've heard a lot of people say how it was a mistake for Bucket to ever join GNR and how he never really belonged.  Well, belonging may be a question, but you'd be insane to think that his popularity didn't jump tenfold due to his tenure in GNR.  I didn't know him before then, and probably wouldn't know him now if he never joined GNR, and I'm probably not alone.  And again, not that popularity is the answer to all life's problems, but I don't think you could argue that his "short" time in GNR helped his career, and as far as I can tell hasn't hurt his guitar playing in the meantime.

AtariLegend wrote:

I know I'm going to leave myself open to cynical comments, but...

Anyone else find it really strange that myspace still streams the entire album for free?

http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses  It's under the "Spinlets™ Widget".

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Maybe Axl sees it the way Ron does. Listens/downloads = album success, not sales anymore.

Although i'm sure UMG would disagree with him.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I know I'm going to leave myself open to cynical comments, but...

Anyone else find it really strange that myspace still streams the entire album for free?

http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses  It's under the "Spinlets™ Widget".

I don't find it strange because most artists stream a lot of their discography on myspace. Its the current culture. Artists either embrace it or die.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

But buzz keeps telling me GNR has died..despite the streaming...lol

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I'm undecided how many copies were sold of CD. I found two numbers - one says 2 million copies, the other say 3 million. Can someone please enlighten me?

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I'm undecided how many copies were sold of CD. I found two numbers - one says 2 million copies, the other say 3 million. Can someone please enlighten me?

Between 2 and 3 million copies....:haha: I just had to. Honestly I have no clue. It did break all streaming records on Myspace which I think is a lot more important than selling actual discs

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

which I think is a lot more important than selling actual discs

only if it reflects in the bank somehow....otherwise it ain't important for shit...all it shows is that a shitload of people went there to check it out... doesn't indicate in any way that they were serious about buying/supporting it...

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
elmir wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

which I think is a lot more important than selling actual discs

only if it reflects in the bank somehow....otherwise it ain't important for shit...all it shows is that a shitload of people went there to check it out... doesn't indicate in any way that they were serious about buying/supporting it...

Agreed.  It shows there was indeed a curiosity factor.  The poor sales combined with breaking the streaming record says an awful lot about what people thought when they heard it (imo).

Board footer